Any Pandora users running Froyo

Search This thread

mempf

Mar 23, 2010
Vancouver
I have noticed that when I use Pandora on Froyo the audio quality is significantly worse than it was on stock 2.1 or cyanogenmod 5.0.7.1.

I am aware of the High and Normal settings in the preferences however it does not help.

Under 2.1 (stock and cyan) Normal would sound alright and High would sound fantastic.

Under 2.2 (froyo) High sounds bad and normal is horrible.

Has anyone else noticed the sound quality drop in pandora moving to Froyo?

This is independent of the song being streamed and is very noticeable when using good headphones.

mempf

Mar 23, 2010
Vancouver
I have tried using multiple kernels including stock, cyan 2.6.34 and ravens avs 2.6.33.4 kernels. Does not effect the problem at all.

NismoDrift240

Apr 2, 2010
Seattle
I'm running Paul's pre-root (including 4.06 radio and kernel that came with it) and sounds great to me, same as before (CM 5.0.6+oc/uv+audio mod+desire cam). In fact I'm not sure if I've reset it to stay on High with 3g yet since I updated. (Tmo USA N1 if it makes a difference ).

Wish I could give helpful input other than its possible. I know I wiped everything I could and flashed it over CM.

pokey9000

Apr 17, 2007
Austin
Running Paul's root with IntersectRaven's .34 kernel and Pandora sounds as good as it did with his kernel on CM5.0.6.

elmejor183

Jan 15, 2009
Bronx, NY
I as well noticed this problem, tried resting/full wipe, restarting, toggling settings to no results. Terrible audio quality even in high. Other sounds are not affected it seems. Running kernel that the update brought.

audiobastard

Aug 31, 2008
chicago area
Am I the only that has actually plugged the phone into an fm transmitter to use with my car stereo? Of course i am, you kids all have your bluetooth radios and your xms and syriusnessess. When using Pandora, the bass is much much louder in froyo than it was in all previous roms. Kernel with modded sound or not, the bass is big. So, yes, the sound is very different from what it used to be. Mids are too high and highs are meh... nonexistent. It doesn't sound bad on the phone or through earbuds, but unless you like rap, you probably won't like the sound coming through your car. But, I don't think that's anything some decent equilizer software can't fix. Personally, I think the sound is an improvement despite the focus on the lower end of the spectrum. In previous versions, it was to light and airy with no lowend. :cool:

maxawesome

Apr 25, 2008
Seattle
I have noticed that when I use Pandora on Froyo the audio quality is significantly worse than it was on stock 2.1 or cyanogenmod 5.0.7.1.

I am aware of the High and Normal settings in the preferences however it does not help.

Under 2.1 (stock and cyan) Normal would sound alright and High would sound fantastic.

Under 2.2 (froyo) High sounds bad and normal is horrible.

Has anyone else noticed the sound quality drop in pandora moving to Froyo?

This is independent of the song being streamed and is very noticeable when using good headphones.

I am on Froyo, and I notice it.

Also, I notice that songs frequently stop playing in the middle or near the end, and then Pandora seems to fail to recover and skips to the next song. Does that happen for you?

earlyberd

Mar 29, 2010
Also, I notice that songs frequently stop playing in the middle or near the end, and then Pandora seems to fail to recover and skips to the next song. Does that happen for you?

The same thing happens to me while on 3G, and happens mostly while moving. If I stay still, I can play continuously with no problems. But while walking or driving, I usually can't finish a song before it skips. This also happens on any other internet radio app, like DroidLive and Slacker.

wmm

Jun 23, 2007
Sudbury, MA
I am on Froyo, and I notice it.

Yes, I've noted that, as well as fairly frequent brief pauses that do resume and continue to play the current song without skipping to the next. (The combination of my ears and my stereo system are not sufficiently discriminating for me to detect any difference in the audio quality, though.)

spankee

Jul 26, 2007
Fairfax, VA
I've noticed that I can't control the next song, play/pause with the Bluetooth controls anymore. I hit next to skip a song and my music player starts playing while Pandora is still playing.

Sep 14, 2008
Boise
OnePlus 8T
I use Pandora often in my car and I also can confirm the audio quality is now horrible for me on Froyo.
If I nandroid back to my CM backup it sounds fine but under Froyo it sounds horrible.

r45k

Mar 17, 2010
I also have noticed a decrease in audio quality, but that might be due to changing ROMs from CM to Stock Froyo leak... (don't really know how the builds differer audio wise)

@ maxawesome
I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing problems with Pandora. Often my music just stops... sometimes it won't continue streaming either... It worked flawlessly with CM 5.0.6 (though i only use it in my car...)

Last edited:

anosis

Oct 25, 2007
SJB, CA
I am also confirming that after the Paul's Froyo zip update the audio quality has decreased dramatically. It almost seems like the sample rate is much lower affecting mostly higher frequency sounds like voice or instruments that produce higher frequencies. The bass sounds ok, but there is alway a small hiss noticable.

Also, when my screen turns off while Pandora is playing I noticed audio drop out over the BT connection. When I force the screen on this does not seem to occur.

Had the desire rom on it before and audio was stunning, almost CD quality.

Hope someone finds a fix or workaround soon.

mempf

Mar 23, 2010
Vancouver
I am also confirming that after the Paul's Froyo zip update the audio quality has decreased dramatically. It almost seems like the sample rate is much lower affecting mostly higher frequency sounds like voice or instruments that produce higher frequencies. The bass sounds ok, but there is alway a small hiss noticable.

Also, when my screen turns off while Pandora is playing I noticed audio drop out over the BT connection. When I force the screen on this does not seem to occur.

Had the desire rom on it before and audio was stunning, almost CD quality.

Hope someone finds a fix or workaround soon.

Agreed, happy to know I am not alone with the issue. For now I have reverted to Cyan 5.0.7.1.

timothydonohue

Oct 2, 2007
Portland, Maine
i don't know about pandora, but the stock music app sounds a ton better to me, both through headphones and through my car speakers (using the POS 3.5mm to tape adapter, lol)

Vandam500

Apr 7, 2010
The other day I plugged my N1 to my car and noticed the quality was a lot worse. At first I didn't think much about it or even the fact that it was because of Froyo until I came upon this thread. But yeah, the quality is a lot worse now. I am thinking Pandora needs a update.