Available docks for Nexus 5 that triggers dock mode

Search This thread

ykphuah

Dec 17, 2009
What is the difference between docked and charging? I know DayDream supports differentiating between this two, and so does Tasker.

Is there a special "charger" that will trigger this "dock" for Nexus 5?

Last edited:

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Dock is when you dock the phone in a dock. Charging is when you charge the phone via wireless or usb cable. Clues in the name really

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Errr the ones that come up in the Google search "nexus 5 docks" ;)

Have a look In the accessories forum, there may be some comparisons there or something. Why do you want a dock?

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit

ykphuah

Dec 17, 2009
Errr the ones that come up in the Google search "nexus 5 docks" ;)

Have a look In the accessories forum, there may be some comparisons there or something. Why do you want a dock?

I did google search, just trying to understand the technical side. For example this:
http://www.kidigi.com/product_lv2.php?pid=1508

Is this considered a dock? or just charging?

I want a dock so that I can set up tasker profile for different cases, just like day dream, to show when is docked, but not show when its charging.

aagvain

Apr 18, 2008
dfw
I did google search, just trying to understand the technical side. For example this:

I want a dock so that I can set up tasker profile for different cases, just like day dream, to show when is docked, but not show when its charging.

i tried a couple of different car docks that triggered dock mode on other phones such as s3, gnex, & htc one but they didnt do anything other than charge the n5.

i'm not sure if the n5 supports dock mode triggered via usb

lowandbehold

Feb 26, 2011
Vandling, PA
I don't think the Nexus 5 has a dock mode at all. Your best bet would be to buy any dock, even a charging dock, and get put an NFC sticker on it...

Den in USA

Dec 15, 2011
Riverside

I bought the "dock" that you link to. It is advertised as a docking station but when I got it it clearly says "charging cradle". I paid $25 for an $8 desktop charger. I already had a "cradle charger" at work. When I plug in my phone at work it just displays the desktop, which is what I want. My plan was to have a bedside "dock" with "daydream" enabled, with a very dim night time alarm clock. In "settings", "display", "daydream" I wanted to set "when to daydream" to "while docked". This is the big advantage of having an actual "docking charger" besides just a "charger".

glaudrem

Nov 25, 2011
Valencia
You hare HELP personified lol.

About OP, I know from other phones that some configuration in the microUSB pins trigger the dock mode as well as car mode, but first of all the OS has to have it implemented. Some HTC, by example my old HTC one S, have a car mode which is triggered by both official car cradle and a special homemade microUSB with pins differently mapped.
About docks, only ones I know are philips fidelio, great options

AndrasLOHF

Jan 7, 2013
I don't believe the Nexus 5 supports a "dock" mode at all. I've tried using a car mount(iBolt) that is built with the pin connection to trigger dock mode that worked with a HTC Evo LTE but with the Nexus it's just a charger. Had to re-write some of my Tasker profiles to get things working correctly again.

ykphuah

Dec 17, 2009
So the dock is actually triggered by something in the usb pins.

Pardon my noobness because I have never had a phone that I can trigger the "dock" mode before.

Recently I read about this:
http://www.xda-developers.com/android/create-your-own-magnetic-dock-for-the-google-nexus-5/

So at first I thought there's something about the hidden magnets that triggers the dock mode, but couldn't find more information about it. Seems like now its just to hold the phone in place and don't do anything.

So I assume the Philips Fidelio also should not trigger this?

Android The Greek

Mar 7, 2012
New Castle
So the dock is actually triggered by something in the usb pins.

Pardon my noobness because I have never had a phone that I can trigger the "dock" mode before.

Recently I read about this:
http://www.xda-developers.com/android/create-your-own-magnetic-dock-for-the-google-nexus-5/

So at first I thought there's something about the hidden magnets that triggers the dock mode, but couldn't find more information about it. Seems like now its just to hold the phone in place and don't do anything.

So I assume the Philips Fidelio also should not trigger this?

Only the nexus 7 has dock pins and can use this feature.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Ghengis042

Nov 21, 2007
Samsung Galaxy A52s 5G
I've been reading about this a bit and it looks like the OS probably still has "dock support", but out of the box the phone has no way to trigger it.

Supposedly if you run
Code:
am broadcast -a android.intent.action.DOCK_EVENT --ei android.intent.extra.DOCK_STATE 2
from the terminal (or `adb shell`) you'll make the phone think it's hooked up to a car dock. (I think state "0" is no dock, and "1" is desk dock)

I plan to play with it today. If it works, it should be possible to automate it or make a home-screen shortcut with Script Manager or similar. I guess you could probably also trigger it from an NFC tag? Not sure how those work, still reading.

Eskimo128

Jan 31, 2014
I've been reading about this a bit and it looks like the OS probably still has "dock support", but out of the box the phone has no way to trigger it.

Supposedly if you run
Code:
am broadcast -a android.intent.action.DOCK_EVENT --ei android.intent.extra.DOCK_STATE 2
from the terminal (or `adb shell`) you'll make the phone think it's hooked up to a car dock. (I think state "0" is no dock, and "1" is desk dock)

I plan to play with it today. If it works, it should be possible to automate it or make a home-screen shortcut with Script Manager or similar. I guess you could probably also trigger it from an NFC tag? Not sure how those work, still reading.

That would be great if this works via NFC. I bought my wife a Nex5 to replace her old (Don't laugh) Droid3, but the dock for that gave her a nice alarm clock when docked. I've kluged in similar functionality via tasker, a NFC tag on the Tylt Vu, and settings in the clock app, but it would be great to do this in a more "native" fashion.

Ghengis042

Nov 21, 2007
Samsung Galaxy A52s 5G
That would be great if this works via NFC. I bought my wife a Nex5 to replace her old (Don't laugh) Droid3, but the dock for that gave her a nice alarm clock when docked. I've kluged in similar functionality via tasker, a NFC tag on the Tylt Vu, and settings in the clock app, but it would be great to do this in a more "native" fashion.

I tried the command I pasted earlier and got a permissions error -- looks like that method requires root. Once you have root, though, you could run it via an automation app and it sounds like it would work fine. It might also be that the Tasker task you set up is using the same actual process (sending that system message) under the hood.

ykphuah

Dec 17, 2009
Droid3, but the dock for that gave her a nice alarm clock when docked. I've kluged in similar functionality via tasker, a NFC tag on the Tylt Vu, and settings in the clock app, but it would be great to do this in a more "native" fashion.

Yeah this is what I thought. Have Day Dream comes up with Clock only when Docked, not Charging. Seems it doesn't work.

Eskimo128

Jan 31, 2014
Yeah this is what I thought. Have Day Dream comes up with Clock only when Docked, not Charging. Seems it doesn't work.

I installed "Dock Clock (night clock) instead of using the daydream, and had it launch with NFC. But since it's on for hours, I figured charging while it was running would be a necessity.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Supposedly if you run
    Code: