Quick List of Gripes

Search This thread

skifreek

Mar 22, 2011
CT
To make the lock screen weather update... i added the widget to my homescreen...went into settings and changed the weather update from none to 1 hour.... deleted the widget and my lock screen weather has been updating ever since

atrix-burst-gs2-note-note2-gs5

Reactions: hlb3

Dark_Vortex

Nov 7, 2010
I haven't seen any lag like anything described in the OP.

This is my first Samsung device ever so I'm not a fanboy. It's just as fast and responsive as the M8 I played with in Best Buy before ordering this phone. Now having said that, while I have all my apps installed I haven't deviated from the stock home screens yet and I'm using all the stock apps except the video player, which I've substituted with MX Player.

Oh, I'm also using Screebl Pro so may be why I don't have my screen shutting off in the middle of videos.

If I were the OP, I'd swap that phone out...for anything else. I wouldn't put up with that from a flagship device.

composi

Jul 14, 2012
I've come to the realization that the fact that I'm watching videos is not the reason that is cutting off, what happens is whenever the orientation changes from landscape to portrait or vice versa that's when it turns off...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

composi

Jul 14, 2012
To make the lock screen weather update... i added the widget to my homescreen...went into settings and changed the weather update from none to 1 hour.... deleted the widget and my lock screen weather has been updating ever since

atrix-burst-gs2-note-note2-gs5

thank you for that I will give that a try

surf1

Apr 12, 2009
south fl
I still don't know what lag some people are seeing, and if there is, why are some affected and others not? I press home button and in a split second it goes, same for multi, it's almost instant. I have a iPhone 5 and 5S and it's just as responsive as those two. i don't know how others are seeing a 1-2+ second lag between pressing stuff, my friends S5 isjust like mine. I used the M8 at my AT&T store and a friend has an M8 and it's basically the same as far as responsiveness. Using GoLauncher Prime right now.

I would take my phone right back to the store if I experienced what the OP is and some others.

glitterbug

Jun 21, 2010
The lag on the home button is caused by S Voice. Because S voice is activated by double clicking on the home button, it cannot act immediately on a single click because it is waiting to see if you click again. Disable s voice and the home button becomes really responsive. This has been the case for multiple samsung devices.

composi

Jul 14, 2012
The lag on the home button is caused by S Voice. Because S voice is activated by double clicking on the home button, it cannot act immediately on a single click because it is waiting to see if you click again. Disable s voice and the home button becomes really responsive. This has been the case for multiple samsung devices.

thank u for the advice, although ive had all the flagships since the S3 and I'm aware of that, its usually the first thing i do with my devices...

surf1

Apr 12, 2009
south fl
I just disabled S Voice to check and it made no difference? Just as quick and responsive as it is with it on.... weird, I'd be annoyed if I had 1-2+ second lags lol

composi

Jul 14, 2012
So of course a factory reset fixed everything and now this phone has only a slight lag when using the recent apps button but other than that it flies...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using xda app-developers app

MattMJB0188

Apr 30, 2011
I still don't know what lag some people are seeing, and if there is, why are some affected and others not? I press home button and in a split second it goes, same for multi, it's almost instant. I have a iPhone 5 and 5S and it's just as responsive as those two. i don't know how others are seeing a 1-2+ second lag between pressing stuff, my friends S5 isjust like mine. I used the M8 at my AT&T store and a friend has an M8 and it's basically the same as far as responsiveness. Using GoLauncher Prime right now.

I would take my phone right back to the store if I experienced what the OP is and some others.

After the lag chaos last year with the S4, myself, and many others came to the realization that its just people's perception of what lag really is. Having owned both the AT&T S5, and T-Mobile S5, and having many years of experience with Samsung devices, I can tell you that it LAGS. It is not that bad though.

calvin35

Dec 29, 2011
This probably means nothing but a tried out a lot of S5's before buying and I found that the black one always outperformed the white one. It wasn't by a huge margin but it was noticeable to me.

composi

Jul 14, 2012
This probably means nothing but a tried out a lot of S5's before buying and I found that the black one always outperformed the white one. It wasn't by a huge margin but it was noticeable to me.

i do have a white one and everyone i know that raves about their S5 (4 people) all have black ones....again, not saying that theres a difference but who knows

Daxxer2007

Jul 4, 2011
I haven't seen any lag like anything described in the OP.

This is my first Samsung device ever so I'm not a fanboy. It's just as fast and responsive as the M8 I played with in Best Buy before ordering this phone. Now having said that, while I have all my apps installed I haven't deviated from the stock home screens yet and I'm using all the stock apps except the video player, which I've substituted with MX Player.

Oh, I'm also using Screebl Pro so may be why I don't have my screen shutting off in the middle of videos.

If I were the OP, I'd swap that phone out...for anything else. I wouldn't put up with that from a flagship device.

There isnt a need for screeble when you check the box for screen stays on while looking at it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Dark_Vortex

Nov 7, 2010
There isnt a need for screeble when you check the box for screen stays on while looking at it.

I haven't gotten that far yet, plus I use my phone sometimes in bed late at night. Is it good enough to be able to tell you're looking at the screen in total darkness?

It's on the list of things to try out, though.

composi

Jul 14, 2012
so i installed Nova Prime and the Google keyboard and now the only things that annoy me are the lag when opening/exiting the camera and sometimes when i open my S-View case it stays black anywhere from 2-10 seconds...at least my homescreen and keyboard dont bother me anymore

viewsonic11

Jul 18, 2009
Do you have an old SD card in it? The same thing happened to me when I picked up my phone. It lagged bad when swiping through apps and lag when switching apps. I was about to bring it back but I did a factory reset and including data and removed my old SD card. I thought maybe it was reading something off it that was making it have trouble. When it turned on it was just what I expected. Extremely smooth and no lag whatsoever.

composi

Jul 14, 2012
Actually, yeah, I do. I'll give that a try. I appreciate the tip. Sucks though cuz everything is on there and i till only have 5gb left internally

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using xda app-developers app

byte9

Oct 17, 2012
So far from what I can tell we can't change the lock screen widgets at all? I found this thread by searching for dashclock.

It's a REAL downer that it seems there is 0 way to use widgets on the lockscreen other than what's there.

Am i missing something? :rolleyes:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I honestly have no lag what so ever on practically anything. I am using Nova Launcher though if that changes anything. Swype is ****ty though, I just want root...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Sounds like you've got a bad device, I've got no lag at all, including when opening the s-view case. Might want to switch it out for another while you can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium HD app
    1. Serious lag when pressing power button, home button, or opening up S-View cover to wake screen...literally takes 4-6 seconds to come on
    no lag at all here, smooth and fast, pry the first time I've ever used a stock Android device that's this smooth and fast out of the box.
    edit: not sure of s-view cover as I don't use it, I use a Khomo Slim on my Tab3 8.0 and it's pretty quick waking up, just checked and it's like a second or so to wake up.

2. When streaming a video, phone randomly turns screen off, meaning I have to press that power button again, confirm my fingerprint again, and press play...again...
    no issues here either

3. Lock screen and S-View weather doesn't update if you don't have the Accuweather widget on your homescreen
    not sure as I'm using GoLauncher Prime and loose the Sammy widget, trying to find another good one as I have Beautiful Widgets Pro from before but haven't installed after seeing all the complaints about it now on newer devices

4. Is it just me, or is the word recognition of the Samsung keyboard when using swype motions worse than its ever been?
    no problem here either, was fine for me on stock keyboard, switched to swiftkey though since I own it

5. recent apps takes about 2 seconds to come up after pressing the button
    again no issue here, pretty much instant for me
    No lag here and certainly no 2 second delay for recent apps. But then again, I'm sure it's just because I'm a Samsung fanboy who's in denial.
    No lag here and certainly no 2 second delay for recent apps. But then again, I'm sure it's just because I'm a Samsung fanboy who's in denial.

Every time there's some kind of reported lag/delay for a device, there are always a handful of people with the device (thus invested in it and in need of validation for their purchase) who insist that the lag doesn't exist, even when every single review and blog site confirms it.

I wouldn't say that the multitasking lag is 2 seconds, but it's definitely there. It was mentioned in a few professional reviews and I confirmed it myself on a display unit. It's not a horrendous delay, but it's definitely not as instantaneous as it is on other phones. It may be that it's waiting to confirm that the button isn't being held for the secondary function (menu), which is the perils of using one button for multiple functions.

On my Note 3, sometimes the power button would work as expected and other times, you'd push it and it would be a full 2-3 seconds before the device would turn on/off. Even after I disabled every single service I didn't need/want, it persisted. I would love to think that Samsung eliminated all of these little delays, but the reality is that they need to rewrite Touchwiz from the ground up and optimize it.