Darthstalker ROM -- All things not development related--

Search This thread

tmjohnsonfse

Dec 23, 2011
Dallas
I figured I would start this thread so that we can move all the non-development talk out of the development section. I hope people will use it so that when something that pertains to development is talked about it will be easier to find. We can discuss what kernels gives best battery life, which ones work and which one break things. We can post about our favorite apps, widgets, wallpapers, or how the weather is outside. Maybe someone will get help on an issue they are having. We can discuss anything within the guidelines of XDA, lets just try to help keep Jovy's thread clean.

I'll start, has anyone had an issue when coming out of sleep the screen is dim and you have to go into brightness and tap it to make it work? I think maybe I set my clock frequency to low or maybe I should be using a different governor. Another issue that bugs me is when I have ripple effect set and use a black background for my lockscreen the borders of the screen look slightly grey. I have read posts about this and by turning off ripple effect the color is like it should be. I like the ripple effect and I like black backgrounds, does anyone know about a fix for this, or does anyone notice this issue on their phone.

Here's the link to the Darthstalker ROM if you read this post and want to check out the actual ROM: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2014442

I am not the developer of this ROM, all credit for this great ROM goes to jovy23 and those he's listed in his OP.

~ Todd

Sent from my AT100 using xda premium

Last edited:

JohnnyNyQuil

May 26, 2010
DeBary
So to move my question to this thread. If I nand will it flash back my original kernel. Trying to remove kt747 and go back to stock kernel that came with this Rom.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

tmjohnsonfse

Dec 23, 2011
Dallas
Your nand restore should bring you back to whichever kernel was active during the backup :D

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

I flash quite a few kernels, always making a backup prior so I can always restore. When restoring I always wipe like I'm installing a new ROM. Just to make sure nothing gets left behind.

edit28

Sep 2, 2012
Detroit, MI
I flash quite a few kernels, always making a backup prior so I can always restore. When restoring I always wipe like I'm installing a new ROM. Just to make sure nothing gets left behind.

Same here! I find 99.9% of ROM-related issues for us flashaholics stem from not performing a full wipe prior to a flash. I've been fully stable on every DaRTHSTALKER update, with LOTS of varying kernel testing, by using this method. Full data + cache + Dalvik wipe then flash than another cache/dalvik wipe before the boot is always a good strategy!

Reactions: tmjohnsonfse

JohnnyNyQuil

May 26, 2010
DeBary
I always make backups for any change I flash too but the last phone I rommed was my g1. The vibrant was too much of a pain and there wasn't any good roms with Wi-Fi calling. I know these things are a different beast so I just wanted to make sure. Btw doesn't nand do all of the wiping process for you?

tmjohnsonfse

Dec 23, 2011
Dallas
I always make backups for any change I flash too but the last phone I rommed was my g1. The vibrant was too much of a pain and there wasn't any good roms with Wi-Fi calling. I know these things are a different beast so I just wanted to make sure. Btw doesn't nand do all of the wiping process for you?

I believe it does, but it only takes a few seconds to be absolutely sure it's done correctly. I'm a creature of habit.

JohnnyNyQuil

May 26, 2010
DeBary
Much better. I guess I didn't even try the Rom tweaks on this one in the first place. Gonna see tomorrow how much better it will be. On another note, has anyone successfully connected to allshare play with another gs3? My girlfriend got hers (completely stock 4.1.1 w/no root) and everything else interacts except for that. Would like to group cast with her and I've followed the videos online to do it but our phones don't show up in each other's network, connected to WiFi of course.

Pr0phess0r

Oct 22, 2010
I figured I would start this thread...

Thank you for this thread, this is an excellent idea!

I've been a fan of this ROM since the very day the version 9 was uploaded. I got my SGS3 late December (this is my first android device), tried a few ROMs and stopped on this one. (BTW: a suggestion to put a link to the DARTHSTALKER S3 ROM thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2014442 on OP so everyone new to this knows what it is all about).

This being my first post on the entire forum I was not allowed to ask questions on the original ROM's threads (and there are at least two I am following).

Now, if you don't mind a newbie question, here it is:
I am a T-mo subscriber using an unlocked AT&T phone. Currently I am on DARTHSTALKER v9 port for AT&T (here's the thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2087164 ). As the most of you I am eagerly awaiting version X1 of the DaRTHSTALKER, but my question is: can I just flash the T-mobile version or should I wait for when an AT&T PORT is available?

Thnks.

tmjohnsonfse

Dec 23, 2011
Dallas

I've been a fan of this ROM since the very day the version 9 was uploaded. I got my SGS3 late December (this is my first android device), tried a few ROMs and stopped on this one. (BTW: a suggestion to put a link to the DARTHSTALKER S3 ROM thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2014442 on OP so everyone new to this knows what it is all about).

This being my first post on the entire forum I was not allowed to ask questions on the original ROM's threads (and there are at least two I am following).

I am a T-mo subscriber using an unlocked AT&T phone. Currently I am on DARTHSTALKER v9 port for AT&T (here's the thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2087164 ). As the most of you I am eagerly awaiting version X1 of the DaRTHSTALKER, but my question is: can I just flash the T-mobile version or should I wait for when an AT&T PORT is available?

Thnks.

I would pm Jovy as he would know best, but maybe someone may be able to answer the question for you. I am new to phones also and the S3 is my first smart phone. I too have tried most of the roms, but keep coming back to this one. I do know that most at&t kernels are compatible, I would want to be 100% sure of ROM compatibility before flashing, might end up in a bad way. Thanks for the suggestion about seeing if Jovy would put the link in his OP.

tmjohnsonfse

Dec 23, 2011
Dallas
I had something happen last night that I've never had happen before and maybe sometime can tell me what it was. I was restoring back after messing with a few mods that didn't work and when my phone booted up in the lower left corner it said "Safe Mode". I went back into recovery and wiped cache and dalvik cache, fixed permissions, and then rebooted and safe mode was gone. What is safe mode?

Thanks,

Todd

Edit: Should have used Google first. Safe mode is similar to computer safe mode. It only loads base os to allow for removal of files. Still don't understand why it happened, but atleast I know it wasn't something bad.

Last edited:

tp2215

Oct 2, 2010
Orlando

Thnks.

I would pm Jovy as he would know best, but maybe someone may be able to answer the question for you. I am new to phones also and the S3 is my first smart phone. I too have tried most of the roms, but keep coming back to this one. I do know that most at&t kernels are compatible, I would want to be 100% sure of ROM compatibility before flashing, might end up in a bad way. Thanks for the suggestion about seeing if Jovy would put the link in his OP.

I WOULD NOT DO THAT! Although I cannot answer the question directly, every carrier has modified there own Galaxy S3. They are all completely different. I know that if you flash a Universal galaxy S3 rom onto a T-Mobile device, it will completely hard brick it due to a change in the partition structure. If you have an At&t device, I would still stick to the Galaxy s3 at&t roms even though T-mobile is your carrier.

kinjus0675

Jun 8, 2008
I WOULD NOT DO THAT! Although I cannot answer the question directly, every carrier has modified there own Galaxy S3. They are all completely different. I know that if you flash a Universal galaxy S3 rom onto a T-Mobile device, it will completely hard brick it due to a change in the partition structure. If you have an At&t device, I would still stick to the Galaxy s3 at&t roms even though T-mobile is your carrier.

+1. Unlocking your phone only allows it access to a different carriers sim card. It does not change the base of the phone itself. I have a Tmobile SG3 that's unlocked for my travels but any ROM I flash must be a tmo based ROM. In your case stick with the ATT ROMs so you don't end up with a brick, and enjoy this great rom

My s3 is stalking your s3....

ipaq_101

Sep 19, 2011
Southern California
Does anyone have a flashable (zip) stock kernel?
I have looked and looked with no luck, I mean I can always just re flash the rom, but wanted to explore other alternatives first.

Thanks for creating this thread btw.

byron1985

Oct 25, 2012
Hey guys been using this ROM for awile. I recently flashed a 4.2 ROM and know my GPS won't lock on I had made a back up before flashing ROM and reverted back to backup after I decided to switch back to this rom. Any suggestions on how to fix?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

mgbotoe

I have noticed a while ago when I receive text notification or miss calls, when i slide on them it takes about 10 second to open. I have reflashed this ROM several times n others just to see what's up but the problem only occurs with version x...anyone else experience this? just my phone?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I figured I would start this thread so that we can move all the non-development talk out of the development section. I hope people will use it so that when something that pertains to development is talked about it will be easier to find. We can discuss what kernels gives best battery life, which ones work and which one break things. We can post about our favorite apps, widgets, wallpapers, or how the weather is outside. Maybe someone will get help on an issue they are having. We can discuss anything within the guidelines of XDA, lets just try to help keep Jovy's thread clean.

I'll start, has anyone had an issue when coming out of sleep the screen is dim and you have to go into brightness and tap it to make it work? I think maybe I set my clock frequency to low or maybe I should be using a different governor. Another issue that bugs me is when I have ripple effect set and use a black background for my lockscreen the borders of the screen look slightly grey. I have read posts about this and by turning off ripple effect the color is like it should be. I like the ripple effect and I like black backgrounds, does anyone know about a fix for this, or does anyone notice this issue on their phone.

Here's the link to the Darthstalker ROM if you read this post and want to check out the actual ROM: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2014442

I am not the developer of this ROM, all credit for this great ROM goes to jovy23 and those he's listed in his OP.

~ Todd

Man, the development thread is going downhill dude. Can't type a single thing without someone putting their red eye on you.

That is the exact reason I created this thread. The last time when the new update was going to drop there was so much noise in the dev thread that it was hard to follow. The development thread should only be for development topics and feedback on bugs people find and this thread is for everything else. I read this thread looking for comments on what mod are working, what kernels are people using, etc...... I read the Dev thread looking for bugs people are experiencing, updates from jovy,etc..... I just hope that jovy doesn't get pissed off from some of the comments in the dev thread and stop working on it. I used to run frosty ROM until dj quit working on it because some people were being rude/ungrateful and he shut it down. I don't blame anyone who is doing something for free and gets insulted because something isn't right. I know I can't do what these guys provide for us for free and I am grateful they provide something that makes our phones better. If I wanted stock phone I would have bought an iPhone. Rules are rules, not that they are all good, but when you're in someone else's house you follow their rules good or bad and if people would understand this it wouldn't be so frustrating. Problem is the trolls that want to flame threads just to get reactions and they are good at it. It's the internet and it's easy to be a internet tough guy.

Naw stock everything. I use ROM toolbox pro to uninstall system apps but I guess it is damaging something in the process ... I'll manually remove and then push non inverted gmail

I use RU Pro (Root uninstaller pro) to uninstall it or just rename to Gmail2.bak.. and i manually pushed the Gmail2.apk I like. I have done it to all of Jovys ROM .. I have tried many different themed Gmail .. ver 4.2.1 and 4.1. I like this transparent better . Here . Just re-name
    and push ..
    Does anyone have a flashable (zip) stock kernel?
    I have looked and looked with no luck, I mean I can always just re flash the rom, but wanted to explore other alternatives first.

Thanks for creating this thread btw.

Here's a link to the stock kernel, you can experiment and flash this back if needed...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=33326881

Hey guys been using this ROM for awile. I recently flashed a 4.2 ROM and know my GPS won't lock on I had made a back up before flashing ROM and reverted back to backup after I decided to switch back to this rom. Any suggestions on how to fix?

This is what I followed to get my GPS back. It does work.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2111306