Post LTE Upgrade Xoom Battery is Horrid. Any fixes?

Search This thread

Err0xx

Feb 24, 2011
Birmingham, Alabama
Got my LTE upgrade done on my Xoom and now the battery is a joke. I went into settings and disabled the LTE connection, so that now 3g is only used. I also turn wifi on when at home. Currently my Xoom is draining 4ish% per hour while in standby. That means this damn thing won't last a day just sitting there, locked, with no screen on. In Honeycomb 3.0 and 3.1 I could get a days of use with 4-5 hours of screen on time and about 22-26 hours of total unplugged time. Now, under 3.2.2 my battery is totally dead after 18 hours of unplugged time with around 1-1.5 hours of screen use. This is virtually unuseable for taking notes in graduate school after work, when being close to an outlet is impossible.

Any ideas as to what's going on? Tried using Watch Dog and System Panel to see if any apps were going nuts with random CPU usage or RAM usage and everything seems to be in-check in terms of system resource usage. Considering I have 4g totally turned off and wifi enabled when I'm in range of wifi (most of the day) I don't have a clue where this power drain is coming from. Any assistance is highly appreciated given how much I rely on my Xoom for day-to-day use. 3.2.2 seems to have killed it for me.

Please help! Will try any suggestions.

Thanks.

Sent from my Xoom using xda premium

Last edited:

PengLord

Oct 24, 2007
Have you tried disabling mobile data entirely? When I'm in wifi, I disable the cellular connection but haven't performed any in-depth trials on battery life.

"Settings" > "Wireless & networks" > "Mobile networks" > deselect "Data enabled"

gordy_2001

Jan 10, 2010
Its not just you, mine is the same way it sucks big time. There really isn't anything that I've found to fix it.
I loved how I used to be able more than a day out of a charge...

Anybody have any ideas? Maybe undervolt kernel???

Err0xx

Feb 24, 2011
Birmingham, Alabama
Have you tried disabling mobile data entirely? When I'm in wifi, I disable the cellular connection but haven't performed any in-depth trials on battery life.

"Settings" > "Wireless & networks" > "Mobile networks" > deselect "Data enabled"

I haven't but this isn't feasable. I use mobile internet for everything and even take notes and such on Google docs. Even though I'm near wifi for most of a given day, I shouldn't be bothered by manually turning mobile data on and off just to have power- mobile data should be mostly killed when wifi is active. That's how this Xoom worked before. A tablet without internet is nothing more than a paperweight to me. 2 classmates with LTE upgraded Xooms are having identical problems. No fixes found yet. Any other suggestions? This battery life is really, REALLY bad.

Tried going a factory reset and battery life is the same, horrid short, running nothing but stock apps.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

pecosROB

Same problem here, but I have the mobile network completely turned off and it still does this! Even with the switch to CDMA only!

I will keep reading this thread (only read the about half the posts before posting) so hopefully a solution will show up. But you're not alone in the horrible battery life post LTE upgrade!

ZanshinG1

Apr 21, 2009
San Diego
wahtod.org
I've had my Xoom back since last Wed.

No higher battery drain than previously.

I'm on wifi 90% of the time in home and office.

Yesterday I was all over north San Diego county using 4g. Got home with 60% charge which is about the same as for a prior trip with 3g.

hammer4203

Mar 1, 2010
Put your xoom back the way it was. The new hardware sucks the battery a little more. Buy a thunderbolt and then say the xoom battery life sucks. Never charged it during the day before the upgrade. Oh well, that's the price if 4g.

Sent from my ADR6400L using xda premium

Reactions: robocuff

z06mike

Sep 16, 2010
Got my LTE upgrade done on my Xoom and now the battery is a joke. I went into settings and disabled the LTE connection, so that now 3g is only used. I also turn wifi on when at home. Currently my Xoom is draining 4ish% per hour while in standby. That means this damn thing won't last a day just sitting there, locked, with no screen on. In Honeycomb 3.0 and 3.1 I could get a days of use with 4-5 hours of screen on time and about 22-26 hours of total unplugged time. Now, under 3.2.2 my battery is totally dead after 18 hours of unplugged time with around 1-1.5 hours of screen use. This is virtually unuseable for taking notes in graduate school after work, when being close to an outlet is impossible.

Any ideas as to what's going on? Tried using Watch Dog and System Panel to see if any apps were going nuts with random CPU usage or RAM usage and everything seems to be in-check in terms of system resource usage. Considering I have 4g totally turned off and wifi enabled when I'm in range of wifi (most of the day) I don't have a clue where this power drain is coming from. Any assistance is highly appreciated given how much I rely on my Xoom for day-to-day use. 3.2.2 seems to have killed it for me.

Thanks.

Download Auto Airplane Mode by DON from the market. It will help BIG TIME!! It does just what the title states, it puts the Xoom into airplane mode automatically as soon as the screen goes off. When you turn the screen back it, the data comes right back in 3 -4 seconds and you're good to go!

Also, you don't have to uncheck any settings or turn 4G off.

Reactions: Sully9663

Err0xx

Feb 24, 2011
Birmingham, Alabama
Update: Mobile data completely turned off, on wifi only with Xoom sitting about 4 feet from router all morning, so wifi signal was strong. This is the first time I've used the device today. Unplugged at 330am my time, its now 130pm. Device battery is at 60%. 10 hours and 40% of battery gone. That's with mobile data 100% disabled, wifi only- can't even get the Xoom to standby for a full day now. At this current drain rate, it would go from 100% to 0% in one day with no mobile data usage, no screen on time and no usage other than syncing Gmail every 2 hours.

Brother who commented above: Thunderbolt will standby for a full day with no screen on time on wifi only and it has under 1/3 the Xooms battery capacity. I should know- my wife has one and it now outlasts my Xoom. That should not be the case.

From my understanding the Xoom has two 3225ish batteries set up in a sequence. My battery life actually seems to be about half of what it was before. Is it possible that one of the two was disconnected during the LTE radio installation and not properly reconnected? Wasn't sure of the details of how the batteries were set up, but if the Xoom could function with the second battery not working, seems like that would precisely half battery life. Anyone familiar with exactly what had to be done internally to upgrade the radio? Looking at the ifixit teardown of the Xoom, the batteries cover the whole backside- looks impossible to do any internal work on this thing without removing them. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Landon

hammer4203

Mar 1, 2010
Thunderbolt got the he-man battery and modded my otter box to fit. The xoom battery has entered the battery hog realm after the lte radio. As far as I can tell the radio is cdma/lte together. And it uses power even if wifi is on and data off. It's what I would call big brother watcher. Even if your not connected the radio is txing and rxing something. You know it's lojacked!

Err0xx

Feb 24, 2011
Birmingham, Alabama
Interestingly enough, removing the LTE SIM card and using wifi only made no improvement to battery life. I'm assuming the new radio is running at 100% all the time without throttling down, even if absolutely no connection exists or there is a string of faulty battery reinstalls in which only one battery is providing power. That might explain why some people seem to have greater battery issues than others.

Landon

Sent from my Cherryπ 0.8 Atrix. Get yo' slice on.

radi0chik

Nov 12, 2007
Dallas, TX
www.radi0chik.com
im glad im not the only one with this problem! its pathetic! im taking my charging cable from my dock with me to work so ill have at least some battery life when i take the train home in the evenings :(

drivenapollo

Jul 11, 2010
Las Vegas
i to am glad that I'm not alone with this either. I use to charge mine every 4 days with no wifi on and almost no use. Now I get about a day with no use. I mainly use it for web searching and dungeon defenders when I'm home. Horrid battery life for doing nothing. Luckly I mainly only use it at home and am almost always on the dock I got from motor from the upgrade. I use about 4% an hour also with nothing on. Mine is completely stock with no root.

Err0xx

Feb 24, 2011
Birmingham, Alabama
Yahoo mine is stock with absolutely no root or other mods. I guess they knew about the pissy battery life and that's why they gave a free dock. Lol. Still trying to find exactly what's killing the battery. LTE does drain a lot of juice but as I've stated before my wife has a Thunderbolt and per mW of battery power, the thunderbolt is more efficient and that's not saying much. It can standby for over a day with no use fine and it has roughly a little less than 1/3 the Xoom battery capacity. Something isn't right. Its not supposed to be this bad. Anyone filed a complaint/tech request with moto/Verizon? I think its something that we should all do and report what they say here. I have a feeling more and more people are gonna have this issue if they do the upgrade. Maybe if enough of us make some noise, something will be done.

Landon

ZanshinG1

Apr 21, 2009
San Diego
wahtod.org
Maybe it's not the radio.

3.2.2 may have some kind of interaction with something you guys were running that's causing wake locks to get stuck

Did you look at Settings:About Tablet: Battery Use ?
(tap on the histogram at the top for another, see if the time spent awake is solid or different from screen on)

PengLord

Oct 24, 2007
I tested this on mine, with the mobile data disabled and lost about 1% battery every hour, this is on par with the performance I had pre-upgrade.
Rooted, stock kernel

JanetPanic

Oct 17, 2005
Rockville, MD
I realize it does not help you but you might look somewhere other than the wireless radio for the problem. I unplugged my upgraded Xoom yesterday morning around 8:30 AM. It is now 8:20 AM and my battery is at 66%. I was on 4G for about 2-3 hours yesterday, the rest of the time on wifi. I check and respond to my mail on the Xoom so it saw some use yesterday, though not as much as I normally do.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Put your xoom back the way it was. The new hardware sucks the battery a little more. Buy a thunderbolt and then say the xoom battery life sucks. Never charged it during the day before the upgrade. Oh well, that's the price if 4g.

Thanks.

Download Auto Airplane Mode by DON from the market. It will help BIG TIME!! It does just what the title states, it puts the Xoom into airplane mode automatically as soon as the screen goes off. When you turn the screen back it, the data comes right back in 3 -4 seconds and you're good to go!

Also, you don't have to uncheck any settings or turn 4G off.