Unable to Use Cell-Tower Triangulation

Search This thread

MitchRapp

Aug 18, 2010
Montreal
I thought Fido/Rogers network was busted...
Latitude will pinpoint me and my friend's location ONLY when we're on Wifi or outdoors with the GPS signal strong.
Otherwise, 2G/3G location does not work anymore - it just assumes you're still at your last wifi/gps location.

Running Nexus One vanilla 2.2.1 FRG83D on the FIDO network.

OzCDN

Jul 4, 2009
I thought Fido/Rogers network was busted...

It could be something to do with Rogers ... they've been having some data problems in my are for a couple weeks now. Twice my coworkers have asked me if my data was down when theirs was (they are iPhone users) ... both times mine was out as well.

madballs

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I believe the correct term all of you gentlemen are looking for is "A-GPS" or "Assisted GPS".

Per the issue, are these results being achieved with the GPS hardware setting turned OFF, and the mobile network/AGPS turned ON, or are both of these settings turned on and still unable to find an accurate position?

It has nothing to do with the GPS. With GPS on, it pinpoints us to the exact location. However, we are talking about when GPS is off and the Use wireless networks location service on. Through WIFI, location service works. However, location service does not work when we are on 3G/Edge. This is the problem for the Rogers/Fido users.

Matt1408

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Im confused on how it is a Rogers problem.

Once I clear the cache and restart, it works.
If I swap the SIM card to my old Windows Mobile device, it works.

If it was a network issue then I'd assume it was across all devices instead of just Android.

To me, it seems like some service is crashing on the phone and thus not giving us a location. The reason why I think this is because after clearing location permissions on the browser, it wouldn't notify me "Google.ca is requesting permissions..." but after the Google Services Framework clearing cache trick, the browser was asking just fine.

madballs

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I agree. I really don't think it is Rogers either. It must be something to do with the Google servers and the N1. Somehow, the current set up is not compatible with Rogers. How it became incompatible all of a sudden? I don't know.

Does anyone have another Android device other than the N1 to test to see if location services work on Rogers/Fido?

Quantus

Dec 7, 2009
Caledon
Note that testing in the other thread has shown that Bell's and Telus' networks do not suffer from this problem. This suggests that the issue is related to Rogers' network (and Fido's I assume, since users here are having trouble on that network as well).

As best we have been able to determine, the problem is some combination of Rogers + Froyo (maybe + network unlocked phones), and began to occur sometime between the 14th and the 19th of November.

Rogers has responded to a request for assistance with the standard "we do not support unlocked phones" mumbo jumbo.

thatguy123

Nov 10, 2010
Chicago
Same problem with t-mobile

Hello,

I can confirm this problem too. Mine is slightly different, but very similar. I live in the Chicago, IL area using T-mobile with my N1.

When I was on cm 5.0.8 and lower, which was android 2.1 no issues with finding my estimated location just on 3g or edge (no wifi or gps), going to cm6.0 stable and 2.2, didn't really notice any problems but can't confirm (was only on it a day or two before upgrading roms again). Now I'm running miui v11.26 on 2.2.1 and I can get estimated location on edge, but switching to 3g I always get "current location temporarily unavailable." Same thing with the cm6.1 RC 1 and 2, and even older miui like 11.12 and 11.19.

If I use wifi I get a lock right away, and with my apn settings of "default,supl" I get gps fairly quickly too over 3g.

I don't understand how I can get estimated location for edge and not 3g. Its really annoying for apps that use geolocation but don't need gps ie. beautiful widgets, foursquare, etc...

I've tried wipes, different roms, making sure my usa band and/or automatic is selected with phone information using *#*#4636#*#*, network settings with tmobile selected and/or automatic selection, apn as "default" or "default,sulp" I don't get it....and tmobile customer service doesn't know anything as usual....

thatguy123

Nov 10, 2010
Chicago
I'm on froyo. I think I just got a temporary fix though. After being persistant with tmobile customer service I got them to cut off my service while my phone had the battery and sim out, then rebooted and magically estimated location on 3g worked. We will see if it lasts though....

MitchRapp

Aug 18, 2010
Montreal
so it IS a rogers/fido issue.
My friend has the same exact phone on the same network and has the same trouble - but my other friend running it on Videotron has no trouble.

Latitude via WIFI = works
Latitude via GPS = works
Latitude via Mobile = does not work

Mobile = Rogers/Fido, therefore Rogers/Fido = broken.

Booya, math!

millowster07

May 24, 2007
Tampa
I have the same issue on Tmobile in Tampa FL -- Its odd Edge works. Wifi works but 3g does not unless I have GPS on. Tried Diff radios, diff APN settings, as well as Enoms roms, Stock, CM etc... None work..

Odd..

mr_raider

Jan 4, 2008
Montreal
Same issue on rogers in Montreal. It appeared this weekend and I thought it was due to a bad ROM. But since then I have tried Evil's Nxsense 1.26, Rodriguez style Miuimod, MM desire superhybrid, 4.06, 5.08 and 5.12 radios.

It works intermittently, that's all I can say.

I had no issues last week, and I reverted to an older nandroid backup with no improvement.

kenypowa

May 18, 2010
I have the exact same issues with Nexus One/CM6 on Rogers. My location can't be identified in both EDGE and 3g. I'm located in southern Ontario.