WiFi Not Loading

Search This thread

jeffsf

Mar 7, 2011
San Francisco
I've had my SGS4G for about a month now and, until recently, it seemed reliable in connecting to wifi networks, both open and WPA2/PSK. Recently, it has started to not be able to connect when "turning on" the wifi, generally through the pull-down from the status bar, or through WiFi Widget. Going to the Settings > Wireless and network > Wi-Fi settings page shows, when it had failed, "Error" under the "Wi-Fi" heading. Generally, if I try to turn it on from there, it will "try" for a while and usually result in "error" again. Sometimes returning to the home screen (Go Launcher, in my case) and trying again will result in a connection, but not consistently.

Stock kernel, firmware, etc.

Looking at the logs, it appears that the kernel module is not loading. For example

Code:
V/WifiProgressStore(18818): WifiProgressStore Created
E/WifiHW  ( 2482): return of insmod (args:firmware_path=/system/etc/wifi/bcm4329_sta.bin nvram_path=/system/etc/wifi/nvram_net.txt dhd_watchdog_ms=10 dhd_poll=1) : ret = -1, Invalid argument
E/WifiService( 2482): Failed to load Wi-Fi driver.

as opposed to a "good" load

Code:
I/WifiHW  ( 2482): [WIFI] Load Driver
I/WifiHW  ( 2482): [WiFi.c] insmod() Start!! 
I/WifiHW  ( 2482): [WiFi.c] start init_module() Start!!

Removing WiFi Widget (com.rb.wifiwidget) has not resolved the situation.

Is this something that anyone else has run into?

Amusing update -- For a brief while, I was seeing both the WiFi and 4G emblems in the status bar.

I'm trying removing mirin browser, which has a wifi-state listener (who knows why) and will try killing DriveSmart if the problem persists.

Last edited:

Success100

Jan 31, 2008
Cleveland
I've had my SGS4G for about a month now and, until recently, it seemed reliable in connecting to wifi networks, both open and WPA2/PSK. Recently, it has started to not be able to connect when "turning on" the wifi, generally through the pull-down from the status bar, or through WiFi Widget. Going to the Settings > Wireless and network > Wi-Fi settings page shows, when it had failed, "Error" under the "Wi-Fi" heading. Generally, if I try to turn it on from there, it will "try" for a while and usually result in "error" again. Sometimes returning to the home screen (Go Launcher, in my case) and trying again will result in a connection, but not consistently.

Stock kernel, firmware, etc.

Looking at the logs, it appears that the kernel module is not loading. For example

Code:
V/WifiProgressStore(18818): WifiProgressStore Created
E/WifiHW  ( 2482): return of insmod (args:firmware_path=/system/etc/wifi/bcm4329_sta.bin nvram_path=/system/etc/wifi/nvram_net.txt dhd_watchdog_ms=10 dhd_poll=1) : ret = -1, Invalid argument
E/WifiService( 2482): Failed to load Wi-Fi driver.

as opposed to a "good" load

Code:
I/WifiHW  ( 2482): [WIFI] Load Driver
I/WifiHW  ( 2482): [WiFi.c] insmod() Start!! 
I/WifiHW  ( 2482): [WiFi.c] start init_module() Start!!

Removing WiFi Widget (com.rb.wifiwidget) has not resolved the situation.

Is this something that anyone else has run into?

Amusing update -- For a brief while, I was seeing both the WiFi and 4G emblems in the status bar.

I'm trying removing mirin browser, which has a wifi-state listener (who knows why) and will try killing DriveSmart if the problem persists.

this happens to me all the time, i see 4g and wifi on and supposedly connected. I think we are going to need a patch from samsung to fix it. I love this phone but wifi on this thing is totally ridiculous

kirbychiu

Jul 20, 2010
Wichita
Ok I think I have found the cause of this problem. Everytime when my RAM runs low the Wifi have trouble turning on. Especially when I have less than 50MB Ram. If I go to Task Manager and free up some RAM the Wifi will start working again.

Success100

Jan 31, 2008
Cleveland
Ok I think I have found the cause of this problem. Everytime when my RAM runs low the Wifi have trouble turning on. Especially when I have less than 50MB Ram. If I go to Task Manager and free up some RAM the Wifi will start working again.

I did the fota fix (frees up about 200 megs of ram) and I still have wifi connectivity issues...

Sent from my DAMN Galaxy 4G¡!

kirbychiu

Jul 20, 2010
Wichita
I did the fota fix (frees up about 200 megs of ram) and I still have wifi connectivity issues...

No I mean the RAM, not the internal storage. If you hold the home button and go to task manager, there is a RAM manager and it lets you clear up memory by closing down some apps. Wifi should work after that.

jeffsf

Mar 7, 2011
San Francisco
It's not an available RAM issue and killing DriveSmart does not resolve this (as suggested in another thread). Removing Mirin Browser and WiFi Widget did not resolve either.

Success100

Jan 31, 2008
Cleveland
Seems as if the wifi issue is a factor in the wifi not connecting. I just got the wifi error and clearing the ram made the wifi hooked right up

sinan.awad

Jan 10, 2011
Hello,
Wanted to see if someone found a solution for this?
I'm facing the same problem on a Vibrant, same messages in the logs.

Unrelated to RAM unfortunately.

Just curious, anyone here running JuiceDefender?

Thanks,
Sinan.