[Q] Bricked Nook Tablet Assistance

Search This thread

MytzieLaelia

Apr 16, 2012
I have an 8GB Nook Tablet and made the foolish mistake of attempting to try and root it with acclaim-update.zip. Now my Nook will no longer boot and I've tried every unbricking method available. No progress was made.

I was a bit too eager to eager and rushed headfirst into it without researching it more thoroughly. If there's no fix for it, then that's fine. I just wanted to run through ever resource possible before giving up on it. I have spent the past few hours scouring the internet and coming up with little to nothing.

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
Have you tried booting CM7 from sdcard?

What things have you tried to make it boot?

Sent from my Nook Tablet using xda premium

soshite

Feb 16, 2012
Layton
Shouldn't you just be able to put the unmodified acclaim_update.zip on your sdcard? It should work and fix your nook. When you put the sdcard in, make sure the device is off, and then connect it to the power adapter to get it to turn on

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
Shouldn't you just be able to put the unmodified acclaim_update.zip on your sdcard? It should work and fix your nook. When you put the sdcard in, make sure the device is off, and then connect it to the power adapter to get it to turn on

Wrong he has 8GB model if you do that you will brick your device AS OP DID!!!

READ THE FAQ - link in my signature

~ Veronica

MytzieLaelia

Apr 16, 2012
Have you tried booting CM7 from sdcard?

What things have you tried to make it boot?

So far I've tried the Ubuntu method of unbricking it, factory reset, and booting with the 1.4.2 zip file to return it to factory settings. None of them have worked.

But I'll try CM7 and see if it works.

self-help

Apr 28, 2012
Am in the the same shoes... got a bricked NT 8GB... looking forward to restoring 1.4.2...

attempts to restore the firmware to factory:

Cyanoboot + altboot + B&N 1.4.2
Followed guide here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1562130 , using (a) the img from dropbox and (b) nooktablet_1_4_2_update.zip from B&N. No luck. The process stops on the initial screen on cyanoboot, where it shows 'Loading (sd)...'. I don't even get to enter the menu that shows the boot options.

flashing_boot + B&N 1.4.2 update in ext3 partition

Next I downloaded the img link above, http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24912163&postcount=5 , no luck also, the tick appeared on the flash 'Installing new software' screen after 4 minutes. After I removed the mSD card, the NT did a data cleanse, and got an error message about 40% into the factory restore prompting me to contact B&N. It then goes into the reboot loop (this is where I am now).

Ubuntu unbrick
No luck. NT don't even boot up to mSD with the mSD card slotted in.

I've tried the above multiple times, downloading the files few times as well. Am still stuck in the reboot loop.

Would like to seek help from gurus here for pointers... Am stuck at this point.

Thanks alot!

Bubonic78

Feb 7, 2012
Garland
I have a tablet that appers to be bricked I put Cm7 on internal flashed it worked then I needed to flash the gaps and when I went to recovery and tried to flash and since then it boots up to the N screen then I see the white busy box screen then blank. Nothing nada. So now I have a $250.00 paper weight:(:banghead::banghead:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using xda premium

kbitz

Dec 27, 2010
Can you get to CWM using Indirect's NT-CWM-SD package from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1466583

Get a micro SD card, fire up gParted (or whatever partition manager), put a new MSDOS partition table on it. Then make a new FAT32 partition at the beginning of the disk. Set the boot and lba flags. Copy the contents of Indirect's zip onto the disk. Stick it in the NT. Hold power + n for 10 seconds and wait for the grey "n" to show up on the screen for a second. Then turn it on.

If that takes you to CWM, then you've got options.

grrmisfit

Jun 15, 2010
st. louis
using a properly formatted SD card should solve most issues.. its the great thing about the nook.

1.make sure your using a good SD card. sandisk 8gb class and up would be best
2. make sure you grab the 8gb nook cm7 image.
3. preferably use a component based card reader. by that i mean one other then a laptops.. the laptop ones tend to be picky and lots of people in the nook color days had issues and most were resolved by using a computer one over a laptop one
4. with the nook OFF plug the usb cable into the nook then into the usb port on a computer

check out stickies too

raywaldo

Jul 8, 2007
Southeast Louisiana
raywaldo.com
Bricked NT8

using a properly formatted SD card should solve most issues.. its the great thing about the nook.

1.make sure your using a good SD card. sandisk 8gb class and up would be best
2. make sure you grab the 8gb nook cm7 image.
3. preferably use a component based card reader. by that i mean one other then a laptops.. the laptop ones tend to be picky and lots of people in the nook color days had issues and most were resolved by using a computer one over a laptop one
4. with the nook OFF plug the usb cable into the nook then into the usb port on a computer

check out stickies too

Negative. I wish you were correct but - in this case - you are not.

Your advice is probably appropriate for those who cannot get an SDCard to boot properly. However, the O.P. has a bricked device and his original post is most descriptive. His NT8 will not boot to the INTERNAL EMMC. (I have the same problem.)

There are several of us here on XDA who are not novices with this issue. The O.P. has listed the various steps that he has followed and they are much more involved than a simple SDCard format issue.

BTW, most formatting issues are when users are attempting to format with Windows. I use Linux exclusively and I can ALWAYS build a boot SDCard without issues.

Also in the same boot as the O.P.

donnell0927

Jan 25, 2011
I also am having this problem. Been going through it for mths now. I've tried every possible fix people could come up with. I have been talking to a youtuber albertwertz. he would like me to send in my nook tablet to him to fix and try out different things. I would like to but cant afford it at the moment. Dang I hope someone finds a fix for this or make a cm9 sd bootale img or something dont get me wrong i like booting cm7 from sd but is this all im subject too. HELP SOMEONE. what are these developers working on. lets get this fix my people. PS thanks for all you all hard work on all roms.

ayoyo1001

May 2, 2012
Lost Nook 1.4.0 partition

Hi, Lavero.

I think I may have accidentally deleted the default nook partition. I can still boot up via SDCard and goes into CM7. How can I recover those default partition? Do you have those commands within Terminal Emulator or any other options?

If I do not put in my SDCard, with power cable connected, the nook tablet 16GB keep rebooting. I still want to recover my Nook default OS so that I can repartition it the next time I go to BN.

Hope to hear from you. Thanks.