[Expert advice needed] [HELP Reqd] Wifi connecting but not working...why?

Search This thread

pradeepvizz

Dec 24, 2010
Dubai
pretty sure its not hardware related because it doesn't happen on all routers/networks. If you've only tested it on one or two then try on a couple others and see. for me it only occurs on one or two out of about a dozen wifi networks

My colleagues have the same One X, they never reported anything and not even in office, while for me it does not work :/

I would say that this issue might not be easily noticeable to a common user ( at least before the JB update). As said by the OP, it is very much noticeable after the JB update.

pradeepvizz

Dec 24, 2010
Dubai
Been thinking about this problem.

Could this be firewall related? Stopping the info getting through? Either the routers firewall or one installed on your phone?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2

Nothing on my phone at-least, i have almost all the apps disabled now for testing!!!

i am uploading my video, will post it here and going to send it to HTC service center to have a look and suggest !

walkerx

May 22, 2009
South Yorkshire
I reverted back to stock earlier and performed full wipe and then factory reset and wiped the whole sdcard. So far I've been connected to internet for 90 minutes when previously it would be a few minutes. Will see if still connected when get up in morning

boe323

Jun 22, 2012
Burton on Trent
I reverted back to stock earlier and performed full wipe and then factory reset and wiped the whole sdcard. So far I've been connected to internet for 90 minutes when previously it would be a few minutes. Will see if still connected when get up in morning

try stock Jb 4.2.1 fom pabx, works at treat.You know, I have the same issue but on carrier band 3g/H lol, I think that's related to my network booster though, nothing to do with pabx rom,as it happened on factory software.

Last edited:

maxilick

Jun 27, 2008
I set up my friends HOX last night to connect to my wifi same issue it connects allows a little data then disconnects, entered settings in my previous post and all was fine. This problem is not specific to HTC, JB or ICS I have encountered this on previous android builds as well and had to manually configure the phones wifi to connect. In almost all cases it's software not hardware related.

Sent from...... The Milky Way

Last edited:

pradeepvizz

Dec 24, 2010
Dubai
I set up my friends HOX last night to connect to my wifi same issue it connects allows a little data then disconnects, entered settings in my previous post and all was fine. This problem is not specific to HTC, JB or ICS I have encountered this on previous android builds as well and had to manually configure the phones wifi to connect. In almost all cases it's software not hardware related.

Sent from...... The Milky Way

Just to make sure, are you telling that the WiFi disconnects? For me and OP here, our WiFi does not get disconnected at all. The device connects to WiFi and shows the WiFi Signal always (its connected in other words), but there is no data transfer stops randomly after sometime.

A new finding that i have is that if i leave it just like that, it connects back in sometime.

mathrania

Dec 5, 2009
Toronto
Just to make sure, are you telling that the WiFi disconnects? For me and OP here, our WiFi does not get disconnected at all. The device connects to WiFi and shows the WiFi Signal always (its connected in other words), but there is no data transfer stops randomly after sometime.

A new finding that i have is that if i leave it just like that, it connects back in sometime.

But if it connects again, does it remain connected permanently?

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

pradeepvizz

Dec 24, 2010
Dubai
But if it connects again, does it remain connected permanently?

No it does not... weirdly i have not faced the problem so much in the morning, but yesterday night it was horrible.

Just wrote to HTC Service Center Techno Care, will have to call them and talk to them during the day!

maxilick

Jun 27, 2008

That has also occurred and my initial post in this thread had also remedied the problem.

Reactions: pradeepvizz

pradeepvizz

Dec 24, 2010
Dubai
That has also occurred and my initial post in this thread had also remedied the problem.

Thanks, i would try that today. If i remember correctly i had problems with my office connection also, which makes me think if i am going to have to do the same for all the WiFi connections.

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

I am in stock completely without bootloader Locked :) i am having the issue.. Happens to be Irregularly.. today morning it was good for me but yesterday night it was horrible.

So what did HTC say about your problem ? you said you were still in discussion about this.

maxilick

Jun 27, 2008
P.S
If your lazy to input manually there are wifi fix apps on Play Store. Have used some on other phones with favorable results.

maxilick

Jun 27, 2008
Last edited:

mathrania

Dec 5, 2009
Toronto

Also let me know what does our dubai HTC customer care says... By chance i was in Al qusais and went to visit the HTC centre(last time i visited it was 3 years back with my Touch pro 2)... But the customer care was not their.... Didnt took much headache to inquire about the new address as i know my device is fully rooted with a custom rom... So HTC wont bother....
Please let me know if you get any solution.....
Thanks...

pradeepvizz

Dec 24, 2010
Dubai
Also let me know what does our dubai HTC customer care says... By chance i was in Al qusais and went to visit the HTC centre(last time i visited it was 3 years back with my Touch pro 2)... But the customer care was not their.... Didnt took much headache to inquire about the new address as i know my device is fully rooted with a custom rom... So HTC wont bother....
Please let me know if you get any solution.....
Thanks...

Talked to service center and made them understand the problem, it is weird for them given that they recently changed the motherboard.

They are going to escalate to HTC taiwan/headoffice, it is weird even for them

I have also mentioned that there is another person in Dubai who is suffering the same problem.

Lets keep our fingers crossed.

BTW, this is my video recording of the issue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFn0CYtQioQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzPEnUvqQUI

Last edited:
Reactions: mathrania

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Some routers will give you a bit of **** when trying to connect to them, had a similar issue when trying to connect to my Belkin N at home and fixed by:

1.Open command prompt on your notebook that is connected to your wireless network and type "ipconfig/all"
    2.Make a note of your Default Gateway ie 192.xxx,.x.x
    3. On your HOX whilst connected to your wireless network go into settings press on wifi.
    3.Long press on your wireless network name.
    4.select modify network and select "show advanced options"
    5.Make sure "none" is selected in proxy settings.
    6.Make sure "static" is selected in ip settings.
    7.The default gateway you noted should be entered into IP address on your phone however change the last number so if the last number is 2 change it to a 3 to keep in your routers address range.(Make sure it isnt the same as DNS 2 on your phone)
    7.Enter the Default Gateway you noted in gateway on your phone as is.
    8.Set network prefix length to 24.
    9.In DNS 1 on your phone enter the Default Gateway address you noted as is.
    10.In DNS 2 on your phone enter the Default gateway settings you noted however the last number should be changed to the following number so if the number is a 2 change to a 3.
    I believe your right that you have a different issue to the infamous grip of life wifi issue.
    If you did suffer the grip of life problem you would struggle getting a connection with your/any router, (unless you squeezed your phone) you don't struggle connecting to the router so don't do the "squeeze test" or it could damage the phone further.

I'm no expert with your issue, but if it happens on stock rom then it could be hardware related, but you already know this.

Best of luck and sorry I can't help further.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2
    Re: Wifi connecting but not working...why?

Did you confirm the question about the kernel in the aroma installer with

NO
    try another rom and look at this https://www.google.com.eg/url?sa=t&...=iE4QN-z9TWrcqS0p2kqaZw&bvm=bv.41524429,d.Yms
    and if your phone's signal is weak even beside the router you have the problem in the link above
    I am having the exact same issue, was having it with ICS too! However i think its router dependant because here in my apartment in finland i get the issue, but back home on my router at home it doesn't happen at all! Its definately not a hardware problem it has something to do with software or configuration. Is there an official bug identified by HTC that we can track or something? Its so annoying having to disable wifi cause you know if you leave it enabled you won't get whatsapp notifications after a while :(

oh also for the record the same router that my OneX stops sending/receiving data from has no issues with my older desire HD, wifi works on it perfectly