Step by Step: How to partition ext2 with Paragon Partition Manager 9.0 - windows vers

Search This thread

robpet2

Sep 6, 2006
Virginia
www.myspace.com
HOW TO PARTION WITH PARAGON PARTITION MANAGER

**** YOU WILL LOSE ANY INFO ON THE SDCARD - PLEASE BACK UP IMPORTANT INFO PRIOR TO STARTING THIS PROCESS ***
**** these are instructions for Windows XP ***

***** if you are using Windows Vista - You need to change the permissions to Administrative in order for this to work - RIGHT CLICK ON THE START BUTTON AND GO TO ADMIN SETTINGS - even if you are the only user of the PC

have the sdcard in the card reader or in the phone mounted to the pc !!!!

OPEN PARTITION MANAGER...
CLICK ON PARTITION MANAGER IN THE LOWER RIGHT HAND CORNER..

then click on the line that represents the sdcard, and right click on it, and choose format partition.. name the volume label - fat32
then click format..

computer might hang for a minute or 2, and then a popup will come up and say click GREEN CHECK to apply changes..

click the GREEN CHECK IN THE TOOLBAR AREA..

you will then see another pop up show - apply changes, choose yes, then you will see OVERALL PROGRESS AND GEARS TURNING.. LET IT PROCESS AND TAKE ITS TIME.. DONT HIT CANCEL..

when its done the cancel button at the bottom will change to Close.. click it..
AND THE FIRST STAGE IS DONE...

NOW ITS TIME TO CREATE THE EXT2 PARTITION..

Now on the Left side of the screen click Create partition.. and a screen will now show Create New Partition Wizard... it lets you chose which drive to partition ( make sure you chose the sdcard - it will be the one with the smallest volume/size of the sdcard in gbs.. should be on the bottom )...

HIT NEXT

now a slider will appear where it says new volume....

move the slider with the mouse, and make it how big you want it.. for ext2 partiiton about 500mb to 1gb is plenty... 500mb is good size.. ( size wont be exact so get it close to the size you want..

WHEN DONE CLICK NEXT...

NOW IT GIVES YOU THE OPTION TO FORMAT THE PARTITION...

CLICK THE PARTITION TYPE DROPDOWN MENU AND CHOSE LINUX EXT2... AND GIVE IT A VOLUME LABEL OF ext2.
then click next...

PC WILL PROCESS AND HOURGLASS WILL SHOW WHERE THE MOUSE POINTER IS.. AND THEN A POP UP WILL SHOW - SAYING -
COMPLETING THE CREATE NEW PARTTITION WIZARD..

CLICK FINISH...

THEN IT TAKES YOU BACK TO THE SCREEN SHOWING THE DRIVES, AND WHAT YOU CREATED, AND THE OPTION AT THE TOP WILL SAY - APPLY ... choose apply
THEN IT WILL ASK YOU TO - APPLY PENDING CHANGES AGAIN, choose yes..

NOW YOU WILL SEE THE GEARS WORKING AGAIN.. LET IT RUN TILL IT SAYS complete..
*it will take a few minutes to process.. let it run...

you might get a pop up for the sdcard drive as a open folder on the pc just showing that its done, just go back to paragon and let it finish running...

once complete you will get a pop up saying SYSTEM RESTART IS REQUIRED TO COMPLETE OPERATION.. CHOSE RESTART THE COMPUTER...

You will see a paragon manager screen, that will hang for a almost a minute, and then the bar will fill saying 100 percent complete, press any key to reboot the pc..

AS LONG AS THERE IS NO ERRORS, YOUR DONE..

FORMAT COMPLETE..

PARAGON WILL START UP ON ITS OWN, AND SHOW THE PARTITIONS AS BEING COMPLETE..

----
*****edit

Originally Posted by Androidandy
check that the ext2 partition is good by typing busybox df -h in terminal.

************************************************************EDIT *****************
If your having issues using paragon partition manager, and trying to make a linux swap partition, try these instructions for formating thru Cyanogens newest recovery

Formatting you SDcard

You only need to do this once folks..if you already have 3 partitions including linux-swap move to step 2

You need Recovery image 1.31 to do this folks!

To format card SD card with linux-swap WARNING!!! this will reformat you entire SD card!!

You can use the recovery console and parted to format SDcards with 1.31 folks, no more going through hassles you have the tools on you G1!...here is an example of how to do this in recovery console using parted

Example for 8GB card (specific value's may be slightly different use print to verify your total SDcard size~!

Reboot and enter recovery
Enter console
#parted /dev/block/mmcblk0
#print (to verfiy we know what size card we are dealing with, the details should be straight forward)
rm 1
rm 2
mkpartfs primary fat32 0 7584
mkpartfs primary ext2 7584 8127
mkpartfs primary linux-swap 8127 8159

#print (to verify we have the 3 partitions)

Example for my 4GB card

#parted /dev/block/mmcblk0
#print (to verfiy we know what size card we are dealing with, the details should be straight forward * then grab a calculator to figure the exact amounts... as shown below that is an example..)
rm 1
rm 2
mkpartfs primary fat32 0 3420
mkpartfs primary ext2 3420 3932
mkpartfs primary linux-swap 3932-3964

"End?" you need to place the last value for the linux swap eg.3964 for my 4GB card

#print (to verify we have the 3 partitions)

Next we need to "quit" parted and upgrade our ext2 partition to ext3

#upgrade_fs

Swap value is set to 30 currently, you can change this by modifying the "echo" value for swappiness in the a2sd.sh script

swap partition shouldnt be no larger than 92mb
ext2/3 partition shouldnt be more than 500mb ( more than that is too much )
( directions from a post by justanothercrowd )

Last edited:

toconfuze1

May 7, 2009
escalon
stuck

I installed paragon parttition manager 9 pro trial version after installtion I reboot and , it brought me to the blu paragon advance recovery screen...I notice I forgot to back up my sd card...but it won't let me out of this screen...tried rebooting it still brought me back to this screen...is there any solution for this problem....its gotta be something easy...I just don't know what to do to get back to my desktop.....HELP!!!!!!!!!PLEASE!!!

robpet2

Sep 6, 2006
Virginia
www.myspace.com
Thank You, for a great post but, can you please fix this link *** word docx with screenshots - http://kaysesoze.wordpress.com/wp-ad...ttachment_id=4
When I signed in I received the following message "You are not allowed to edit this attachment." Again THANK YOU,
V/R
Biz
thanks for bringing that to my attention.. will try and fix it..
I installed paragon parttition manager 9 pro trial version after installtion I reboot and , it brought me to the blu paragon advance recovery screen...I notice I forgot to back up my sd card...but it won't let me out of this screen...tried rebooting it still brought me back to this screen...is there any solution for this problem....its gotta be something easy...I just don't know what to do to get back to my desktop.....HELP!!!!!!!!!PLEASE!!!
during the paragon process it says do not interrupt it while it is formating, cause you pc can become unstable. and thats exactly what you did.. u might be able to press the esc button, i believe it gives that option at the bottom of the screen to exit it properly. but rebooting was wrong...
anytime u FORMAT any drive or card you will lose information, thats pc fundamentals... will add the issue about losing info to orig post..

stonefurry

Apr 30, 2008
Help

I know I am always running into problems. But i am freakin out about this and i don't know if this is the right thread to be posting this or maybe someone can lead me to other thread with this fix.

Question

First i partitioned my mini sd card using my G1 with paragon manager and when everything was done the computer restarts.

But the weired :( thing is that now when i mount my G1. My G1 is recognized by my computer but it does not show me the storage device on my computer folder or even prompt me with opening a folder for my storoge card. I am freakin out.

Things i tried.

1. Rebooted my phone
2. nandrroid backup restore
3. restarted my computer
4. changed minisd cards.
5. uninstalling the usb android driver and reapplying it
6. went to usb debug on the settings on the phone

nothing worked. :( :mad:

Thanks . Any help would do.

------------------------
Fix ******Update

It took me alot of time to figure this out. if anyone gets this problem just assign your sdcard a Letter. Example: E: Drive.

When i look at these tutorials it does not mention anything like that.

thanks anyways

Last edited:

robpet2

Sep 6, 2006
Virginia
www.myspace.com
I know I am always running into problems. But i am freakin out about this and i don't know if this is the right thread to be posting this or maybe someone can lead me to other thread with this fix.

Question

First i partitioned my mini sd card using my G1 with paragon manager and when everything was done the computer restarts.

But the weired :( thing is that now when i mount my G1. My G1 is recognized by my computer but it does not show me the storage device on my computer folder or even prompt me with opening a folder for my storoge card. I am freakin out.

Things i tried.

1. Rebooted my phone
2. nandrroid backup restore
3. restarted my computer
4. changed minisd cards.
5. uninstalling the usb android driver and reapplying it
6. went to usb debug on the settings on the phone

nothing worked. :( :mad:

Thanks . Any help would do.
1. did you do the fat32 first, then ext2 second ?
2. did you mount the sdcard to the pc ?
3. may show as F drive on your pc !!!

Androidandy

Mar 9, 2009
I used PM 10, it is very easy. However when the program wants to reboot it says there is an error, but I check that the ext2 partition is good by typing busybox df -h in terminal.
I've partitioned several cards now and they all work.

I found that doing a wipe then installing Lucid's rom.
I reinstall my applications from mybackup pro and downloading others from the market.

I test everything is working fine, then and only then I use the scripts that Lucid posted.

To recap ensure that busybox recognises the ext2 partition then wipe, install Lucids rom

robpet2

Sep 6, 2006
Virginia
www.myspace.com
I used PM 10, it is very easy. However when the program wants to reboot it says there is an error, but I check that the ext2 partition is good by typing busybox df -h in terminal.
I've partitioned several cards now and they all work.

I found that doing a wipe then installing Lucid's rom.
I reinstall my applications from mybackup pro and downloading others from the market.

I test everything is working fine, then and only then I use the scripts that Lucid posted.

To recap ensure that busybox recognises the ext2 partition then wipe, install Lucids rom
thank you for the info..
was looking for the commands to verify that the ext2 partition is done correctly, and of course it verifies that busybox is working also..

Sheldonjace

Mar 20, 2009
Springfield, MO
I'm having a large issue with my new Micro SD card.

When using PM and my MicroSD in an SD adapter it allows me to format and create partitions successfully JUST FINE with my Sandisk 2gb which is probably a class 2 or just not a class at all...it doesn't say on the card at all.

BUT I just bought a Transcend 8gb Class 6 HC card and when using the SD adapter the computer recognizes it just fine to open and view files...BUT Paragon says its "Invalid" and won't allow me to format, partition, or anything.

I have no idea what needs to be done differently. It works just fine in the phone and moving files but Paragon won't recognize it or allow it to be modified.

limakev123

Apr 7, 2009
I need some help please!!!

First of I'm new to all this so I'm a nood and I need some help massively I have trying to make this ext2 partition on ubumtu for months and always get an error message and a lost and found folder in the ext2 partition. Found these directions and finally make the partition w/ no error messages. Fat32 1st then ext2 2nd type busybox command so I think its done right. So I try to mkdir /system/sd/app for marcus directions on apps to sd to use his apps to sd2 app and I get error /system/sd/app read only. Why is that so? I look in pargan partitioner were I made the parition and there both still there. I would be greatfull if anyone can help out a nood like me limakev123@gmail.com. I have been trying to get this ext2 partiton for months and today thought I did it correct cause no error messages and boy was I wrong!! Please anyone help !!

Bronze G1 W/ JF 1.5 cupcake W/Areo
NO APPS TO SD1! HELP PLEASE
Saphire SLP
Limakev123@gmail.com

K

kudvu002

I am running vista 64 and paragon profesional. I can get it to format and can get the ext2, but I can not do anything with the card. I try and reformat the fat32 and give it a letter for a drive but it wont take or if i format it and then create the ext2 it gives the ext the drive letter(both cannot have a drive) What gives and in the meantime I have to use the 1gig because although paragon recognizes the sd card my pc does not!

osideous

Apr 12, 2009
so i've done everything in the tutorial. and even the coding for checking busybox.

it doesnt show the ext2.

and i tried running the lucid commands
and it says ext2 is not mounted.

pr0cl1v1ty

Jan 27, 2008
College Station, TX
i get all the way to the ext2 part the very last thing

like mount/dismount and i get a error

saying to close a program or restart pc

cant close program because i dont know what it is so i click retry same error
i restarted pc 2 times

still same thign tried reformatting all over again what am i doing wrong? thanks guys!