[Q] The Single Greatest Flaw of Nexus 7 Remedy????

Search This thread

rebecker

Mar 13, 2007
Minneapolis
I've had my Nexus 7 since Christmas. While I really like it, I still am VERY disappointed in it (in)ability to handle video output. Has there been ANY developments since Christmas in fixing this huge flaw? Any new hardware that will make viewing a movie from the Nexus to a TV acceptable? Any software that will improve the situation? I really am disappointed that I still have to watch videos through my Kindle (which I WAS planning to give to my daughter). I did buy a converter cord that was suggested here, but it's somewhat mediocre; odd "static" flashes, odd over-bright colors.

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
I've had my Nexus 7 since Christmas. While I really like it, I still am VERY disappointed in it (in)ability to handle video output. Has there been ANY developments since Christmas in fixing this huge flaw? Any new hardware that will make viewing a movie from the Nexus to a TV acceptable? Any software that will improve the situation? I really am disappointed that I still have to watch videos through my Kindle (which I WAS planning to give to my daughter). I did buy a converter cord that was suggested here, but it's somewhat mediocre; odd "static" flashes, odd over-bright colors.

Chromecast with, BubbleUPnP UPnP/DLNA or AllCast or LocalCast Media 2 Chromecast.

rebecker

Mar 13, 2007
Minneapolis
Chromecast with, BubbleUPnP UPnP/DLNA or AllCast or LocalCast Media 2 Chromecast.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I spend a great deal of my time in an area with extremely erratic internet. I simply can't use the internet to stream, so a hard wire is required. I bought a Patuoxun Slimport MyDP, which "works", but the quality is pretty mediocre. Static, hesitancy. I was hoping that there was some sort of new hardware that kept things smooth and consistent. My old Kindle Fire HD had a much better output quality (although not perfect). Hoping to at least match it on my Nexus.

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I spend a great deal of my time in an area with extremely erratic internet. I simply can't use the internet to stream, so a hard wire is required. I bought a Patuoxun Slimport MyDP, which "works", but the quality is pretty mediocre. Static, hesitancy. I was hoping that there was some sort of new hardware that kept things smooth and consistent. My old Kindle Fire HD had a much better output quality (although not perfect). Hoping to at least match it on my Nexus.

Actually, it uses your wireless LAN bandwidth, not internet.

Yeah, those chinese dongles knock-offs are not the best deal, I have heard the best from people using the real thing: http://www.amazon.com/SlimPort®-SP1002-Connect-connector-Supports/dp/B009UZBLSG

Last edited:

rebecker

Mar 13, 2007
Minneapolis

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
Thanks again. A fairly outrageous price for a connector, don't you think. ;) Looks like my Nexus experience will be short. I'll probably go back to my Kindle. :( Live and learn.

Well, you get what you pay for.

Did you see the part about those apps not using internet? They use the local lan, they don't even need internet (other than for installing them initially/license checks).

rebecker

Mar 13, 2007
Minneapolis
Actually, it uses your wireless LAN bandwidth, not internet.

Can you explain this to me? Are you saying that the connection is "local"? So, if I have a movie on my Nexus and want to "broadcast" it to my TV through Chromecast, is the signal NOT uploading and then downloading via the internet? Because I cannot use the internet where I live part time to stream; the connection is way too slow. Can you explain how "wireless LAN" is setup and how it works? And is this possible using a Roku instead of a Chromecast (I own a Roku unit).

Thanks.

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
Can you explain this to me? Are you saying that the connection is "local"? So, if I have a movie on my Nexus and want to "broadcast" it to my TV through Chromecast, is the signal NOT uploading and then downloading via the internet? Because I cannot use the internet where I live part time to stream; the connection is way too slow. Can you explain how "wireless LAN" is setup and how it works?

Thanks.

Right, it's local, it gets the video from your device over your wireless router, to the chromecast, internet does not come into play at all.

Do you have a wireless router (aka wifi)? If so then all you do is set up the chromecast to attach to it, then have your N7 connect to the same wifi network, then your N7 can send to the chromecast directly, with the help of one of those apps.

If you do not have wifi access point or router, then you will of course have to buy one, initially you will need internet to get the apps and stuff, but once it's setup you can play movies/ pics/ music that is on your N7 directly to your chromecast on your TV.

Last edited:
Reactions: rebecker

DrRuckingFetard

Sep 5, 2013
Sydney
Can you explain this to me? Are you saying that the connection is "local"? So, if I have a movie on my Nexus and want to "broadcast" it to my TV through Chromecast, is the signal NOT uploading and then downloading via the internet? Because I cannot use the internet where I live part time to stream; the connection is way too slow. Can you explain how "wireless LAN" is setup and how it works? And is this possible using a Roku instead of a Chromecast (I own a Roku unit).

Thanks.

if you don't have a chromecast but happen to have a PS3 or Xbox 360 you can use Skifta/Bubble UPNP to stream files from your tablet to your console to watch on tv, I use Skifta and it works flawlessly on my ps3 :) as mdamaged said above, no need to internet to come into play, just your local network so internet issues won't affect it :good:

as for your Roku player, they have an app to do exactly that, stream straight to it but for some reason apparently doesn't support N7 2013, but supports the 2012 version :eek:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roku.remote

rebecker

Mar 13, 2007
Minneapolis
if you don't have a chromecast but happen to have a PS3 or Xbox 360 you can use Skifta/Bubble UPNP to stream files from your tablet to your console to watch on tv, I use Skifta and it works flawlessly on my ps3 :) as mdamaged said above, no need to internet to come into play, just your local network so internet issues won't affect it :good:

as for your Roku player, they have an app to do exactly that, stream straight to it but for some reason apparently doesn't support N7 2013, but supports the 2012 version :eek:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roku.remote
I downloaded the app you listed above. It now lists N7 2013 as compatible. I could get the pictures and music functions to work, but not videos. I have access to a massive legal catalog of MKV and MP4 movies. However, when I tried to play either type via the software I get a message that the movies are incompatible with the Roku. :( I guess my next move will be to borrow someones Chromecast and try it. Life shouldn't be this hard. ;) :)

BrianDigital

I downloaded the app you listed above. It now lists N7 2013 as compatible. I could get the pictures and music functions to work, but not videos. I have access to a massive legal catalog of MKV and MP4 movies. However, when I tried to play either type via the software I get a message that the movies are incompatible with the Roku. :( I guess my next move will be to borrow someones Chromecast and try it. Life shouldn't be this hard. ;) :)

Well this Massive LEGAL collection of MKVs and mp4s are stored on what? A computer or hopefully not a hdd plugged into a router?

BrianDigital

Not sure I understand your question. When I want to watch a movie, I simply copy it to my Nexus and watch it on my TV. The issue is quality from the nexus to the TV.

i am asking due to you seem to have a ps3 or roku on your network. If the movies files are stored on your computer, you can share the movie folder on your network so the ps3 or roku can see them..

Then you can simply from your tv find the movie you want to watch and leave the nexus 7 out of this

rebecker

Mar 13, 2007
Minneapolis
i am asking due to you seem to have a ps3 or roku on your network. If the movies files are stored on your computer, you can share the movie folder on your network so the ps3 or roku can see them..

Then you can simply from your tv find the movie you want to watch and leave the nexus 7 out this senrio

Thanks for your reply. I do have a Roku. Any chance you can point me to info on setting this up? My major goal is to avoid any internet streaming; need a direct network connection.

zaclimon

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 14, 2011
Montréal
Thanks for your reply. I do have a Roku. Any chance you can point me to info on setting this up? My major goal is to avoid any internet streaming; need a direct network connection.

Just a heads up here. You can buy a slim port for less than 30$ here:

http://www.amazon.com/SlimPort-HDMI-Adapter-Connect-enabled/dp/B00DWGB6CU/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1393867107&sr=1-2&keywords=slimport

I think the difference between this one and the other one linked earlier is the model difference (SP1002 vs SP1003 here) which could be a newer version of the same product.

Also if you search for something that can stream to your roku, you can try allcast here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.cast&hl=en

There's a limitation on the free version but if it works great on your device, you can buy the full version for 5 bucks I think.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:

rebecker

Mar 13, 2007
Minneapolis
Just a heads up here. You can buy a slim port for less than 30$ here:

http://www.amazon.com/SlimPort-HDMI-Adapter-Connect-enabled/dp/B00DWGB6CU/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1393867107&sr=1-2&keywords=slimport

I think the difference between this one and the other one linked earlier is the model difference (SP1002 vs SP1003 here) which could be a newer version of the same product.

Also if you search for something that can stream to your roku, you can try allcast here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.cast&hl=en

There's a limitation on the free version but if it works great on your device, you can buy the full version for 5 bucks I think.

Hope it helps.
Thanks for your response. Yes, I saw the Slimport. Tempting. :)

I tried AllCast. Doesn't handle several formats well. Couldn't use it.

I think the ideal solution would be some sort of Roku app that would allow DIRECT interface with my laptop or Nexus via my router. Since my internet speed is too slow for streaming, I can't use an app like Plex, for instance, to view movies on my laptop/Nexus. I just looked at Plex; very nice concept, but can't figure out a way to avoid using the internet.

I borrowed a ChromeCast stick today. Will try that with AllCast and other apps on my nexus and see what happens.

I appreciate ALL input! :)

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a

I think the ideal solution would be some sort of Roku app that would allow DIRECT interface with my laptop or Nexus via my router. Since my internet speed is too slow for streaming, I can't use an app like Plex, for instance, to view movies on my laptop/Nexus. I just looked at Plex; very nice concept, but can't figure out a way to avoid using the internet.

I borrowed a ChromeCast stick today. Will try that with AllCast and other apps on my nexus and see what happens.

I use plex server and its app on my roku, it streams over the LAN. You'd setup the server on your laptop or PC (dual core or better recommended and 2 gigs or more of ram), and set it up, install the roku app, and it'll find the plex server on the network and you can play through that. BubbleUPNP works similarly in that it has a server (paid) that transcodes (like plex server) to allow more formats than the chromecast can accept directly.

Last edited:

BrianDigital

For gods sakes to use Plex you do not need INTERNET to stream your movies around your house.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

DrRuckingFetard

Sep 5, 2013
Sydney

none of the options both I and everyone else has suggested USE THE INTERNET. If you pull out your DSL connection from your modem/router, you still have a local network connection between devices via your router, and all the apps we have suggested will work perfectly. Your ISP speed has absolutely nothing to do with what you want to do.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Can you explain this to me? Are you saying that the connection is "local"? So, if I have a movie on my Nexus and want to "broadcast" it to my TV through Chromecast, is the signal NOT uploading and then downloading via the internet? Because I cannot use the internet where I live part time to stream; the connection is way too slow. Can you explain how "wireless LAN" is setup and how it works?

Thanks.

Right, it's local, it gets the video from your device over your wireless router, to the chromecast, internet does not come into play at all.

Do you have a wireless router (aka wifi)? If so then all you do is set up the chromecast to attach to it, then have your N7 connect to the same wifi network, then your N7 can send to the chromecast directly, with the help of one of those apps.

If you do not have wifi access point or router, then you will of course have to buy one, initially you will need internet to get the apps and stuff, but once it's setup you can play movies/ pics/ music that is on your N7 directly to your chromecast on your TV.