Greg spot when taking picture

Search This thread

evemir

Feb 13, 2012
Czestochowa
This is no software related!
OMG, really?
This is dust. It happens. You are keeping your phone in tour pockets, on chairs everywhere. So there is and there will always be a chance that you end up with dust under the lens...

raptir

May 4, 2010
I still stand by my theory. Actually I've just discovered the new camera no longer does 16:9. The old camera did 2mpix widescreen (16:9) so I assumed that the 1.9 mpix was the same which would cut the right and left edges off the sensor like the video does. Obviously because it's using 4:3 unlike video, it didn't prove my point and looked to disprove it but actually it doesn't.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yeah, Snapchat takes photos in 16:9 to match the display aspect ratio. Video is recorded in 16:9. Photos in the camera app are taken in 4:3. This is probably the link here. Some of the other camera apps in the Play Store may allow you to take pictures in 16:9 resolutions still.

Personally I would call Google back and say that you need the camera to be working properly and you'd be happy to do troubleshooting steps (like a factory reset) to narrow down the issue but not wait for an update.

Reactions: danarama

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
So, I'm not sure if this new finding supports your theory. But I went into the camera app info and was able to uninstall the update to bring back to the old camera. In the view finder the spot was gone but it still appeared in pictures. For the video though, it doesn't even appear when watching the recording. So I guess it cuts it off? Regardless I'm just going to factory reset and if its still there (which I think you're right and it will be) I'm calling back and asking for RMA.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

The View finder was always off on the old version anyway. What about the 2 mpix 16:9
Option in the old cam?

Yeah, Snapchat takes photos in 16:9 to match the display aspect ratio. Video is recorded in 16:9. Photos in the camera app are taken in 4:3. This is probably the link here. Some of the other camera apps in the Play Store may allow you to take pictures in 16:9 resolutions still.

Yeah I tried them all pretty much looking for anything that could handle 16:9 above 2mpx.

Settled on pro capture but obviously is not free.

PsychDrummer

Nov 29, 2012
Thanks everyone for the help. I ended up just doing a factory reset this morning to rule out it being software related. The spot was still there. I called up Google again and they're sending me a replacement.

PsychDrummer

Nov 29, 2012
So, the new phone is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Today the phone fell off my mount in the car. There was no damage or anything but I noticed later today that the spot was gone. Not sure if the dust got moved when the phone fell. I don't know what to do now though. If I just send back the old phone, when they go through the troubleshooting at Google they're not going to find the problem, so I think I should let them know that the problem was resolved. However, at the same time if the dust spot just got moved, while it's not visible now it can just as easily come back since it's still under the glass. Any ideas?

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013
I'm having the same issue, what gives?

33abdy0.jpg

Lol Greg spot

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
So, the new phone is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Today the phone fell off my mount in the car. There was no damage or anything but I noticed later today that the spot was gone. Not sure if the dust got moved when the phone fell. I don't know what to do now though. If I just send back the old phone, when they go through the troubleshooting at Google they're not going to find the problem, so I think I should let them know that the problem was resolved. However, at the same time if the dust spot just got moved, while it's not visible now it can just as easily come back since it's still under the glass. Any ideas?

Ask their advice.

Reactions: PsychDrummer

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Black spot

EDIT: Sorry, title should be grey* spot
    Hey guys, so I just noticed when I take a picture using the new camera or Instagram there's a grey spot in one corner. I tried wiping the lens to see if was dirty and nothing changes. Its actually darker on Instagram. I tried rebooting and nothing happened. Interestingly enough, it seems to disappear during video recording. Here's a sample when taking the picture. Its in the top left corner. I noticed this today and it had not occurred before today. I had my phone since launch. All camera options have the spot except video recording. anyone have ideas?

Also, I just checked snapchat and that has no grey spot.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Same problem here as well with my new Nexus 5.Very annoying !! I noticed a dust spot in all my photos that seemed to develop in the last week.
    I called Google's support line with the same problem. They are sending a replacement device within 48 hours. Very impressed.
    But, I'm doubtful about LG's clean room for manufacturing.
    I still stand by my theory. Actually I've just discovered the new camera no longer does 16:9. The old camera did 2mpix widescreen (16:9) so I assumed that the 1.9 mpix was the same which would cut the right and left edges off the sensor like the video does. Obviously because it's using 4:3 unlike video, it didn't prove my point and looked to disprove it but actually it doesn't.

Personally I would call Google back and say that you need the camera to be working properly and you'd be happy to do troubleshooting steps (like a factory reset) to narrow down the issue but not wait for an update.

Ask their advice.