[Q] Battery problem?

Search This thread

ASMI1

Dec 23, 2010
hey guy,
last month my note screen starts to flicker for seconds and then the phone shuts down by itself, this happens when the battery life is about 10%.
My battery is a little bit swollen so i thaugh it's a battery problem.
Now after i bought a new battery for 30DT (~19USD) the problem presist; the screen starts flickering at the level of ~ 30% then the phone shuts down and when i click the power boutton it wont start, so i pluged it to the wall charger and when it boots to the TW UI the status bar indicate 0%.
After this, the (new) battery keeps charging until 100%

so my question is: is this problem related to the battery, the wall charger or the phone itself?
why the phone does not show me the low battery warning and does not show me the sammy logo before it shuts down?
this is really weird guys since my battery still one day old!
please tell how to solve this problem or at least from where it comes!

thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

FabreFaction

Oct 22, 2009
www.endoftheinternet.com
hey guy,
last month my note screen starts to flicker for seconds and then the phone shuts down by itself, this happens when the battery life is about 10%.
Now after i bought a new battery for 30DT (~19USD) the problem presist; the screen starts flickering at the level of ~ 30% then the phone shuts down and when i click the power boutton it wont start, so i pluged it to the wall charger and when it boots to the TW UI the status bar indicate 0%.

so my question is: is this problem related to the battery, the wall charger or the phone itself?
why the phone does not show me the low battery warning and does not show me the sammy logo before it shuts down?

There are only two occasions where I have experienced anything like what you are describing:
1. when I had a bad battery (read dying battery, fine after I replaced it).
2. when there is less than 4% battery remaining on my N7000.

My guess is that you may have bought a bad battery.
Can you swap your battery with a friends for a day or so to see if you have the same problem???

Reactions: ASMI1

ASMI1

Dec 23, 2010
good news

There are only two occasions where I have experienced anything like what you are describing:

Can you swap your battery with a friends for a day or so to see if you have the same problem???

good news bro, this morning i flashed stock gb 2.3.6 jpla1; the battery drained little bit fast but when it went down to 10% the low battery warning popped up!! so i plugged the phone to the charger and it starts charging normally...is this a good sign?
what i know is that lithium batteries don't require any calibration or it's just jb (stock jplsb)??

here are the screenshots:

5ij7tTd.png

aeRB84c.png

btw thanks for your reply ;)

Reactions: FabreFaction

FabreFaction

Oct 22, 2009
www.endoftheinternet.com
good news bro, this morning i flashed stock gb 2.3.6 jpla1; the battery drained little bit fast but when it went down to 10% the low battery warning popped up!! so i plugged the phone to the charger and it starts charging normally...is this a good sign?
what i know is that lithium batteries don't require any calibration or it's just jb (stock jplsb)??

My compliments on your English by the way, you write far better than a lot of English people.

Right, so the plot thickens.....

Was your previous ROM ICS or JB and was it a Samsung stock image or a custom ROM based on stock?
Stock ICS and JB were notorious battery drainers.
GB was much better with battery drain.
So it's no surprise you're seeing slower drain with GB.

But that doesn't answer the question of the abnormal drain on your Note.

Start with resetting your battery stats in recovery mode.
You're right about the battery not specifically needing calibration, but sometimes the Note gets a little confused about the battery level and doesn't seem to read it correctly.
I have reset the battery stats before when my battery has done odd things, it generally helps.
It's best to charge fully then reset the stats in recovery and let it settle for 2-4 hours (you can still use the Note while the battery is settling).
The battery indicator will show a massively reduced % after resetting the stats, and then the % will creep up as you use it - which is an interesting phenomenon to observe!!
Once the battery has settled, let the battery drain down to 20% at least before you charge it fully again.
This should fix any problems your Note has reading the correct charge level from the battery.
It's a while since I've used CWM (which I'm assuming you're using for recovery with GB), I think the battery reset is in the advanced settings, it's pretty obvious when you find it. (I've been using TWRP for too long to remember where things are in CWM!!!).

Then I would seriously consider installing Better Battery Stats (It is free to XDA users from the XDA thread).
Take a look at the BBS thread, there are numerous instances of devices with abnormal battery drain because of partial wakelocks etc.
Post your logs on the BBS thread and ask for help.
The experts on that thread are awesomely helpful.

The next steps are a little more drastic, e.g. replacing your USB daughter board and battery.

ASMI1

Dec 23, 2010
Was your previous ROM ICS or JB and was it a Samsung stock image or a custom ROM based on stock?

You're right about the battery not specifically needing calibration, but sometimes the Note gets a little confused about the battery level and doesn't seem to read it correctly.
I have reset the battery stats before when my battery has done odd things, it generally helps.
It's best to charge fully then reset the stats in recovery and let it settle for 2-4 hours (you can still use the Note while the battery is settling).
The battery indicator will show a massively reduced % after resetting the stats, and then the % will creep up as you use it - which is an interesting phenomenon to observe!!
Once the battery has settled, let the battery drain down to 20% at least before you charge it fully again.
This should fix any problems your Note has reading the correct charge level from the battery.
It's a while since I've used CWM (which I'm assuming you're using for recovery with GB), I think the battery reset is in the advanced settings, it's pretty obvious when you find it. (I've been using TWRP for too long to remember where things are in CWM!!!).

Then I would seriously consider installing Better Battery Stats (It is free to XDA users from the XDA thread).
Take a look at the BBS thread, there are numerous instances of devices with abnormal battery drain because of partial wakelocks etc.

The next steps are a little more drastic, e.g. replacing your USB daughter board and battery.

It was stock JB jplsb 4.1.2 for UAE rooted by Philz kernel.
I will wait for the battery to fully discharge and if the screen starts to flicker again i will try to follow your advice!
again thanks bro, i really appreciate your help :)

FabreFaction

Oct 22, 2009
www.endoftheinternet.com
No worries.
I was being genuine about your English, it is better than a lot of natives.
Three languages, wow.
I know English.... and a few computer languages... Not quite the same.
You can be proud of your English its pretty awesome.
You didn't make any mistakes I could spot, and I used to be an English teacher!!
P.S. it was only the French screen shots that made me think English might not be your first language.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ASMI1

Dec 23, 2010
No worries.
I was being genuine about your English, it is better than a lot of natives.
Three languages, wow.
I know English.... and a few computer languages... Not quite the same.
You can be proud of your English its pretty awesome.
You didn't make any mistakes I could spot, and I used to be an English teacher!!
P.S. it was only the French screen shots that made me think English might not be your first language.

Oh thank you sir, you embarrassed me :eek:
I've been studying French and English since I was 8 years old (now I am 20) because ,here in Tunisia, French and English are very important.
Maybe I can speak English but it's too formal :)

FabreFaction

Oct 22, 2009
www.endoftheinternet.com
Oh thank you sir, you embarrassed me :eek:
I've been studying French and English since I was 8 years old (now I am 20) because ,here in Tunisia, French and English are very important.
Maybe I can speak English but it's too formal :)

That was a bit formal, e.g. the thank you sir.
Your other posts were not formal and very conversational.
Exactly what I would expect in this forum.
Seriously, your English is great.
No need to be embarrassed about the things you are great at.

20 years old and speaking three languages, wow.
I'm 42 and can just about get by in English :)

Have fun :)

Last edited:

ASMI1

Dec 23, 2010
That was a bit formal, e.g. the thank you sir.
Your other posts were not formal and very conversational.
Exactly what I would expect in this forum.
Seriously, your English is great.
No need to be embarrassed about the things you are great at.

20 years old and speaking three languages, wow.
I'm 42 and can just about get by in English :)

Have fun :)

ok, i get your point...thanks again :)
best regards :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hey guy,

good news

here are the screenshots:

5ij7tTd.png

aeRB84c.png

My compliments on your English by the way, you write far better than a lot of English people.

Right, so the plot thickens.....

really?? oh forgive me if i made some mistakes because English is not my first language (Frensh is my second language and English is the third :eek:

It was stock JB jplsb 4.1.2 for UAE rooted by Philz kernel.
    I will wait for the battery to fully discharge and if the screen starts to flicker again i will try to follow your advice!
    again thanks bro, i really appreciate your help :)