Cyanogenmod 9 v6.0 vs stock ICS 4.0.4 (basic differences?)

Search This thread

Muvolt

Apr 19, 2011
Hi everybody! I have some "newbie" questions about CyanogenMod 9...

1. Is it really faster compared to stock ICS? I haven't overclocked the processor and my main problem with ICS, is that the default launcher has a little stuttering some times and it's not absolutely smooth. In CyanogenMod9, the "Trebuchet" launcher is almost at the same level in terms of "movement flow".

I had Nova launcher previously and I'm thinking of installing it again on CyanogenMod 9...will this be a right move?

2. What else is better than the stock ICS there? Ι already use that marvelous power widget inside the notification bar, but, except some similar workflow tweaks, I can't see anything else...any feature list compared to the stock ICS 4.0.4?

3. Why the torch toggle-in-notification is disabled in settings? (the pre-installed torch seem to work perfectly)

4. Screen brightness gets increased when there is a lot of light around, but It doesn't decrease its brightness when I go in a dark room again...Am I doing something wrong? (I haven't touched those sensor filters etc...)

Can you please help me? I'm not a developer and I'm mostly concerned about a smooth and fast experience.

erikiksaz

Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
1. Make a nandroid and try it out yourself.

There is no right move. Do whatever it is you want. Your phone won't explode if you install the "wrong" launcher.

2. Take a look at the popular roms in the dev section and repeat #1. Or look at bedalus's benchmarks if you're really that apprehensive.

3. probably hasn't had the bugs worked out.

4. again, maybe a bug. After you flash a couple of roms I'm sure you'll see that you can get #3 and #4 working.

More doing and less thinking. As I said, you have a nandroid to fall back on.

Muvolt

Apr 19, 2011
1. Make a nandroid and try it out yourself.

There is no right move. Do whatever it is you want. Your phone won't explode if you install the "wrong" launcher.

2. Take a look at the popular roms in the dev section and repeat #1. Or look at bedalus's benchmarks if you're really that apprehensive.

3. probably hasn't had the bugs worked out.

4. again, maybe a bug. After you flash a couple of roms I'm sure you'll see that you can get #3 and #4 working.

More doing and less thinking. As I said, you have a nandroid to fall back on.

Thanks for the response!
1. If you read carefully my post (sorry for my bad English), you will understand that I already have tried CM9 v6.0 and that was the reason I wanted to know more, because I don't see any performance improvement over stock ICS 4.0.4 on my Nexus S. Am I wrong? There must be some objective reasons except my judgement.

2. I was talking specifically about CM9 features.

3. I figured that with the torch...it's probably not ready yet. I can't find any post about the brightness though (there are so many options there which I don't fully understand and brightness never works as it should).

4. I don't want to flash other roms...I have already flashed Wildestpixel's roms and I didn't see an obvious performance difference too...

stellar

Dec 12, 2011
For trebuchet if you check (or unchecked I forget) the join with apps setting it makes the launcher just as smooth as gingerbread :)

madd0g

May 8, 2010
Well, I switched from Bugless Beast today to latest CM9 nightly (15.4, not the KalimochoAz version posted on here).

Haven't tried CM9 for a while and it surprised me, speed wise and stuff integrated in it. I'm a fan of stockish ROM's, that's why I used BB since ICS came out. What made me stay is:

- integration of BLN & Voodoo sound, meaning I don't need to run those 2 apps in BG (saves memory ofcourse, I'm a sucker for optimization)

- BigMem is quite noticeable, also RAM free right after clean flash is about 200MB (vs 140MB on AOKP, which is the ****tiest, meaning when I use the apps I have in BG, there was constant launcher restart - low on RAM)

- seems like internal storage speed is faster, I noticed level loading on Where's my water game is perhaps the same as on GB (was waay slower when ICS came out)

- nice UI optional goodies in the ROM but still without AOKP "lets **** everything in" bloat (battery %, power key camera shutter, custom autobrightness levels, T9 dialer). Wanted those on BB, where they were out of question, since BB is more stockish.

- no weird governors, OC or voltages, just ondemand/cfq as on stock, don't use deep idle

So for me, it's a good sweet spot between stock and custom ROM.*

*Disclaimer:
I've used BB for months & AOKP for 2 weeks, both on SimpleKernel, which is basically stock with added BLN&Voodoo. I don't fiddle around with OC/Governors. Those are my observations and I don't intend to debate "why you didn't use "xxkernal v.9302".

Last edited:

Muvolt

Apr 19, 2011
Well, I switched from Bugless Beast today to latest CM9 nightly (15.4, not the KalimochoAz version posted on here).

Haven't tried CM9 for a while and it surprised me, speed wise and stuff integrated in it. I'm a fan of stockish ROM's, that's why I used BB since ICS came out. What made me stay is:

- integration of BLN & Voodoo sound, meaning I don't need to run those 2 apps in BG (saves memory ofcourse, I'm a sucker for optimization)

- BigMem is quite noticeable, also RAM free right after clean flash is about 200MB (vs 140MB on AOKP, which is the ****tiest, meaning when I use the apps I have in BG, there was constant launcher restart - low on RAM)

- seems like internal storage speed is faster, I noticed level loading on Where's my water game is perhaps the same as on GB (was waay slower when ICS came out)

- nice UI optional goodies in the ROM but still without AOKP "lets **** everything in" bloat (battery %, power key camera shutter, custom autobrightness levels, T9 dialer). Wanted those on BB, where they were out of question, since BB is more stockish.

- no weird governors, OC or voltages, just ondemand/cfq as on stock, don't use deep idle

So for me, it's a good sweet spot between stock and custom ROM.*

*Disclaimer:
I've used BB for months & AOKP for 2 weeks, both on SimpleKernel, which is basically stock with added BLN&Voodoo. I don't fiddle around with OC/Governors. Those are my observations and I don't intend to debate "why you didn't use "xxkernal v.9302".

Thanks you very much for your observations! I want superfast stockish roms too, so I guess I will stick to the latest nightly for the moment.

madd0g

May 8, 2010
Thanks you very much for your observations! I want superfast stockish roms too, so I guess I will stick to the latest nightly for the moment.
Today, I'm trying out the 1200 OC, works completely stable so far, playing with the phone over half an hour now. 1400 rebooted after couple minutes. Try it out !

About brightness decrease, you need to enable it in extra auto-brightness settings at the bottom.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Muvolt

Apr 19, 2011
Today, I'm trying out the 1200 OC, works completely stable so far, playing with the phone over half an hour now. 1400 rebooted after couple minutes. Try it out !

About brightness decrease, you need to enable it in extra auto-brightness settings at the bottom.

Thanks for the tip! Do you know what actually happens when "system update" detects an update? What is it actually after? An official post 4.0.4 update or a CyanogenMod update? Also, what happens in each situation? Can it be updated OTA?

madd0g

May 8, 2010
Thanks for the tip! Do you know what actually happens when "system update" detects an update? What is it actually after? An official post 4.0.4 update or a CyanogenMod update? Also, what happens in each situation? Can it be updated OTA?
K, back to stock values, because after some time on 1200 sensors stopped working.
Nope, OTA won't work, the update is for CM I think.

turmoil4eva

Mar 22, 2012
Well I've tried most of the best out there and I think cm9 is far the smoothest rom out there. So stick with it. If you want to enhance ur experience with it then try pics reloaded I just love it.

Now the only thing left is search key mod foe recent apps to be modded with cm9 v6 cuz I tried the latest and it wipes out a lot of my options.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

madd0g

May 8, 2010
Well I've tried most of the best out there and I think cm9 is far the smoothest rom out there. So stick with it. If you want to enhance ur experience with it then try pics reloaded I just love it.

Now the only thing left is search key mod foe recent apps to be modded with cm9 v6 cuz I tried the latest and it wipes out a lot of my options.

Just made it for recent 15.4 build, should work on v6 I think : http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25022665&postcount=216

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

Have you checked out the ICS ROM Benchmark Chart? Surprisingly, CM9 is ranked way at the bottom.
Screw benchmarks, usage experience counts and it's not measurable.

turmoil4eva

Mar 22, 2012
Agreed those who actually perform better in bench mark end up being a nuisances. If u want a daily driver stick with cm9 its glitch free.