[Q] How to make Swype my default keyboard

Search This thread
Mar 11, 2012
Lucknow
I want to make Swype my default keyboard. I have have CyanogenMod's flasable zip and Swype's working apk. I want to replace default keyboard in the zip with Swype. is it possible to do it?

please help

ehsan h97

Nov 29, 2012
I want to make Swype my default keyboard. I have have CyanogenMod's flasable zip and Swype's working apk. I want to replace default keyboard in the zip with Swype. is it possible to do it?

please help

Ur question isn't clear dude.. if u just want 2 use it as ur default keyboard,do as my friend said.but if u want to delete default keyboard, delete d keyboard apk from system/app using root explorer;)

Press thnx button if it was helpful(plz:D)
Sent from my GT-S5670 using XDA

Reactions: gaurav.mishra280295

thejayjetson

Mar 15, 2011
"if u just want 2 use it as ur default keyboard,do as my friend said"

Long pressing to change the keyboard does not make the keyboard the default. Upon reboot, your stock keyboard is used or none if you have removed it. I have to change to Swype upon every boot. Very annoying. There must be a way around this. Does anyone know?

buckwheat.phd

Aug 17, 2011
"if u just want 2 use it as ur default keyboard,do as my friend said"

Long pressing to change the keyboard does not make the keyboard the default. Upon reboot, your stock keyboard is used or none if you have removed it. I have to change to Swype upon every boot. Very annoying. There must be a way around this. Does anyone know?

I'd love to hear the answer to this as well. Prior to last release of Android, Swype said that it was an Android problem and the next release would fix it. They stated on the user comments section that "we can't help sloppy Android code and it's not our fault". The problem was neither - it still comes up with the standard keyboard as default upon reboot every time

PIRATA!

Dec 6, 2010
The issue happens with all paid keyboard.
Someone says it's an os fault..someone a Play store fault..someone a bad app coding fault.
The fact is that no one had made a fix.
It's there a way to fix this without touching the alt keyboard (I mean without moving it or installing it manually so to avoid any strange future updates failure) that can prevent the default stock keyboard to stick back as default at each reboot??
I mean..if I back up the stock android keyboard and then uninstall it with Titanium Backup..could it fix?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-i9300 using TapaTalk2

Helix751

Aug 30, 2012
Santiago
The issue happens with all paid keyboard.
Someone says it's an os fault..someone a Play store fault..someone a bad app coding fault.
The fact is that no one had made a fix.
It's there a way to fix this without touching the alt keyboard (I mean without moving it or installing it manually so to avoid any strange future updates failure) that can prevent the default stock keyboard to stick back as default at each reboot??
I mean..if I back up the stock android keyboard and then uninstall it with Titanium Backup..could it fix?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-i9300 using TapaTalk2

This issue happens with (almost) all paid keyboards, as the only available keyboards at boot are the stock and free ones, given paid apps are stored in a protected storage area that is unavailable at boot time, at least until the Google Play service is actually started.

That's why (for instance) SwiftKey Free or Smart Keyboard Free are indeed kept as default keyboards after a reboot, but their corresponding paid apps will not and hence the 1st available free/stock keyboard will be selected.

The solution (developers?) could be the paid keyboard being the same free app, working with a "license" paid app. This way, the keyboard would be available at boot time and could be enabled as default, while keeping paid/premium features.

I'm afraid this is an OS restriction (bug maybe?) not yet addressed but with a helper app. The best ones so far imho (just workarounds anyway, as they still require user intervention):

Keyboard Picker
Keyboard Swap

Last edited:

Galaxy_Rohit

Sep 25, 2012
Electrifying
I managed to get it working on 2.3.7 & 2.3.8 successfully:) but the gesture feature doesn't work(coz it asks for license):sly:. Does anyone know where the Swype licence gets stored(somewhere in /system partition):rolleyes:??

DutchArjo

Apr 5, 2012
Samsung Galaxy A6
swype somehow checks your build.prop file and based on that check, Swype will work or not.

steps you have to do first:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=959192

First you will need to extract the needed files from a stock ROM. If you are still running the stock software, you can use a file explorer app to make a copy onto your SD card. Just copy and paste. You can also pull the files from the stock image or from the Iced glacier ROM. Pulling from Iced Glacier is the easiest method. Just unzip the ROM file and find the needed files.

There are two files, both in the system partition. The first is "Swype.apk" and is in /system/app folder. The second is "libSwypeCore.so" and is in /system/lib/ folder.

Edit: 7/25/11
It seems you must also conciser the source ROM and destination ROM when obtaining the files. Swype does a device/licence check when running, and if it fails the check then Swype will not work. The build.prop lists "t-mobile/htc/ect" as product.brand and Swype seems to check this before running. So use a version of Swype from a ROM with the same build.prop or edit the build.prop manually.

Now to install Swype:

There are two ways to do this, ADB or root explorer. (or other file manager with RW)

Any extra info to help explain what is going on for any new guys will be in green text.

For ADB:

First put the files you extracted into the tools folder of the android SDK, then open an ADB shell to your phone. When that is done, use the following commands. (each line is a separate command)

Remember Linux commands are case sensitive.

First is to mount /system as RW. (this allows you to save files to /system)

Code:
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
Then you need to push (save a copy) the files to the correct locations.

Code:
adb push Swype.apk /system/app/Swype.apk
adb push libSwypeCore.so /system/lib/libSwypeCore.so
It may give the files the wrong permissions. (how much access to the system they have) Just to be safe we need to give the files the right permissions.

Code:
chmod 644 /system/app/Swype.apk
chmod 644 /system/lib/libSwypeCore.so
sync
reboot
Your phone will reboot and then you are done.

For Root Explorer:

Extract a copy of the needed files and put them on the SD card.

Then open root explorer and open the "sdcard" folder.

Next find "Swype.apk" and long press it and select "copy" (or if you have already completed this step once, copy "libSwypeCore.so")

Use the back button to go back to the root of the folder tree (up top where it shows your current location, it will show "/" this is where you started from when opening the app)

Locate and open the "system" folder.

You then need to tap the button up top marked "Mount R/W" (this will allow you to make changes and copy the files to the right locations) (this step should not be needed if you have already done so before)

Next open the "app" folder. (or if you are moving "libSwypeCore.so" open the "lib" folder)

Hit the "paste" button to copy the file.

Next long press the file you just copied "Swype.apk" and select "permissions" (or "libSwypeCore.so" as appropriate)

You will see a bunch of check boxes. The will be labeled "read" "write" "execute" across the top and "user" "group" "others" down the left side.

For "user" select the "read" and "write" boxes

For "group" and "others" select the "read" box only. Then select "OK"

When done with the first file, repeat the above steps again with the second file. Observe any changes to the steps that are in orange text.

Next open up a "terminal emulator" app and then run the following commands.

Code:
su
sync
reboot

Hope this helps someone.

however, this has not helped my with my Galaxy Ace with custom rom. I guess the build.prop files do not match.
You can try with your Fit however. You need to have the swype.apk and the libswypecore.so files from your Original rom.

Reactions: falkonn00

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

please help

Ur question isn't clear dude.. if u just want 2 use it as ur default keyboard,do as my friend said.but if u want to delete default keyboard, delete d keyboard apk from system/app using root explorer;)

Press thnx button if it was helpful(plz:D)
    Sent from my GT-S5670 using XDA
    swype somehow checks your build.prop file and based on that check, Swype will work or not.

steps you have to do first:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=959192

First you will need to extract the needed files from a stock ROM. If you are still running the stock software, you can use a file explorer app to make a copy onto your SD card. Just copy and paste. You can also pull the files from the stock image or from the Iced glacier ROM. Pulling from Iced Glacier is the easiest method. Just unzip the ROM file and find the needed files.

There are two files, both in the system partition. The first is "Swype.apk" and is in /system/app folder. The second is "libSwypeCore.so" and is in /system/lib/ folder.

Edit: 7/25/11
    It seems you must also conciser the source ROM and destination ROM when obtaining the files. Swype does a device/licence check when running, and if it fails the check then Swype will not work. The build.prop lists "t-mobile/htc/ect" as product.brand and Swype seems to check this before running. So use a version of Swype from a ROM with the same build.prop or edit the build.prop manually.

Now to install Swype:

There are two ways to do this, ADB or root explorer. (or other file manager with RW)

Any extra info to help explain what is going on for any new guys will be in green text.

For ADB:

First put the files you extracted into the tools folder of the android SDK, then open an ADB shell to your phone. When that is done, use the following commands. (each line is a separate command)

Remember Linux commands are case sensitive.

First is to mount /system as RW. (this allows you to save files to /system)

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    Then you need to push (save a copy) the files to the correct locations.

Code:
    adb push Swype.apk /system/app/Swype.apk
    adb push libSwypeCore.so /system/lib/libSwypeCore.so
    It may give the files the wrong permissions. (how much access to the system they have) Just to be safe we need to give the files the right permissions.

Code:
    chmod 644 /system/app/Swype.apk
    chmod 644 /system/lib/libSwypeCore.so
    sync
    reboot

For Root Explorer:

Extract a copy of the needed files and put them on the SD card.

Then open root explorer and open the "sdcard" folder.

Next find "Swype.apk" and long press it and select "copy" (or if you have already completed this step once, copy "libSwypeCore.so")

Use the back button to go back to the root of the folder tree (up top where it shows your current location, it will show "/" this is where you started from when opening the app)

Locate and open the "system" folder.

You then need to tap the button up top marked "Mount R/W" (this will allow you to make changes and copy the files to the right locations) (this step should not be needed if you have already done so before)

Next open the "app" folder. (or if you are moving "libSwypeCore.so" open the "lib" folder)

Hit the "paste" button to copy the file.

Next long press the file you just copied "Swype.apk" and select "permissions" (or "libSwypeCore.so" as appropriate)

You will see a bunch of check boxes. The will be labeled "read" "write" "execute" across the top and "user" "group" "others" down the left side.

For "user" select the "read" and "write" boxes

For "group" and "others" select the "read" box only. Then select "OK"

When done with the first file, repeat the above steps again with the second file. Observe any changes to the steps that are in orange text.

Next open up a "terminal emulator" app and then run the following commands.

Code:
    su
    sync
    reboot

Hope this helps someone.

however, this has not helped my with my Galaxy Ace with custom rom. I guess the build.prop files do not match.
    You can try with your Fit however. You need to have the swype.apk and the libswypecore.so files from your Original rom.