New Forums on XDA?

Search This thread

svetius

Retired User Experience Admin
Dec 23, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hey Everyone,

As mentioned in my earlier post (please read if you have not yet already), we are considering adding non-HTC forums to the site, and are curious to hear which ones should be first. We're considering devices such as the Motorola Droid/CLIQ, plus the Samsung Omnia II and/or Acer neoTouch. What are your thoughts? We're listening! :D

P.S. The below excerpt is taken from my first post, and should help answer some questions.

svetius; said:
Finally-- and hopefully this doesn't cause a mass uproar-- we are considering the idea of selectively adding non-HTC device forums (focused on Windows Mobile and Android devices). Every day we get requests from users for this, and there's really no good reason why we cannot oblige them. Already the discussion is happening in the general forums. That said, we will only add new forums if: 1. We are confident added traffic won't cause site speed to suffer; 2. We can recruit quality moderators; and 3. The content and discussion is of high quality. The only way to know these things for sure is to try it out. So, within the next 14 days we are going to add two or three non-HTC forums. The delay is to ensure the site continues to operate at a reasonable speed and so we can figure out where to put the new forums (the forum homepage is already absurdly long and cluttered). We are open to suggestions as to deserving devices for our first non-HTC forums, so give us your ideas in this thread.

MOD EDIT - The following devices are due to be added Thursday morning (CET time):

Acer neoTouch F1 S200
Acer Liquid A1 S100
Samsung Omnia II
Toshiba TG01

There may be a slight delay in adding these so no more request for the above devices

Last edited by a moderator:

Badwolve1

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 13, 2009
Loughborough, UK
HP iPAQ HX4700

HP iPAQ HX4700, even though it is a HTC made device, would love to have a forum for it, willing to moderate as i have plenty of spare time
Much Thanks
Badwolve1

PS, YES!!! Second Post on both threads :p

kalya

Dec 23, 2006
ahmednagar
Long overdue!

At last !

This is a very nice forum, resourceful , frequented by the "developers" yet user/noob friendly.;)

People like me were / are dismayed when requests-questions for non HTC devices are placed in the hacking forum where you just cannot keep track of the threads.:(

More and more WM/android based devices are launched now and we should have a separate forum for them.

Maybe we can first demand a few requests for a particular device before starting a dedicated forum so that it would not fizzle out in the long run and the whole site becomes cluttered unneccessarily.:D

yash08

Aug 17, 2008
I think the droid should make the first entry, its really popular. But thats just my opinion.

farukb

Jul 26, 2007
Sarajevo
hell,whose idea was this...??

you are breaking our firs tenant which says "made by a firm called HTC"

we stood for the idea for a long time and prevented such forums to be crated and now comes some "user experience admin" who works for the "unhappy samsung motorola crowd" selling some controversial ideas

come on people,don't be ridiculous...

GREAT,just great....you could also say hello to iPhone and crappy nokias....which we fought for a long time.......great job traitor

Last edited:

ilMessia

Nov 29, 2008
An i780 forum won't be bad too. This is the best site for i780 even if it's not (yet) officialy supported. There are several roms for it on xda and there's also an android porting for this device.
Maybe a brand forum will be great too. For example a samsung or acer or anythig else forum with some subforums like rom developemente, q&a and general discussions.

Last edited:

farukb

Jul 26, 2007
Sarajevo
but hey this is..or at least was htc forum and not winmo and android forum...so...if we are expanding towards samsung,motorola and some others,why don't we go for apple too

think about it

i mean i'm not supporting any of that but....higher force wants to try it out,so if we are opening our gates for non htcs....apple is also nonhtc...so what's the difference

Last edited:

madsurfer1

Mar 9, 2008
Toshiba TG01
Acer S200
Omnia 1 and 2
If Xda is considering to open new foruns, lets open for new top mobiles that are/were best sellers

yash08

Aug 17, 2008
But on the other side allowing non htc mobile will mean let in any mobile. So admins, how will you then manage all this?What about server load and all the technical things it will bring along?And also will there be enough staff to monitor the behaviour of each and everyone? This is no simple question. Right now I see xda dev as a small group providing quality support and devs, what will it be then? Many bloggers refer to xda dev website, it is a turning point on the htc platform. Wont allowing other brands in kill this image?

farukb

Jul 26, 2007
Sarajevo
But on the other side allowing non htc mobile will mean let in any mobile. So admins, how will you then manage all this?What about server load and all the technical things it will bring along?And also will there be enough staff to monitor the behaviour of each and everyone? This is no simple question. Right now I see xda dev as a small group providing quality support and devs, what will it be then? Many bloggers refer to xda dev website, it is a turning point on the htc platform. Wont allowing other brands in kill this image?

i talked to svetius via pm and this was almost the same thing i said to him

and for the

Thanks for the feedback thus far, it's helpful. We're indeed going to stick with just Windows Mobile and Android.

what about "brew" platform which comes with new htc smart

farukb

Jul 26, 2007
Sarajevo
maybe the "xda-developers.com" should be changed to "apple-haters.com" because as i see everything except apple is welcome

just to make it clear....i'm absolutely not voting for apple (although i love macs),i'm just giving you something to think about...pointing finger towards the paradox so everybody could see it

Last edited:

svetius

Retired User Experience Admin
Dec 23, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
OnePlus 9 Pro

As mentioned in my first post earlier today...

We will only add new forums if: 1. We are confident added traffic won't cause site speed to suffer; 2. We can recruit quality moderators; and 3. The content and discussion is of high quality. The only way to know these things for sure is to try it out. So, within the next 14 days we are going to add two or three non-HTC forums. The delay is to ensure the site continues to operate at a reasonable speed and so we can figure out where to put the new forums (the forum homepage is already absurdly long and cluttered). We are open to suggestions as to deserving devices for our first non-HTC forums, so give us your ideas in this thread.

I hope this helps.

techferret

Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, CA
I say expand to the iPhone field....wouldn't hurt to add it to the forums....we can say we hate it and that it suxs...whatever. XDA harbors people that want to push their phone's limits. I've been a follower of XDA for a while now, even when I had my iPhone, because the amount of talent in these forums are awesome. I say open the flood gates and bring in iPhone OS to the table. Droid and the new Dell Android would be great as well. My 2 cents :D

EbolaCola

Oct 20, 2008
but hey this is..or at least was htc forum and not winmo and android forum

Official or not, this site has ALWAYS been a winmo forum. Given that HTC's devices mostly ran winmo, that's pretty much unavoidable - unless you think that all discussion/development of software that runs on non-HTC winmo devices should be banned, anyway. And the same goes for Android, now that it comprises ~half of HTC's product lineup - unless you think that half of HTC's current phones should be banned from an 'HTC forum'.

RogueCheddar

Nov 13, 2008
Near Seattle
YES to new forums

I've been following XDA-Devs for quite some time now (over a year and a half, to be exact) ever since I gleefully bought my AT&T Tilt, and then was frustrated with it within a week. :( Prior to that, I have owned & happily modded several PPC's. I lurked on these forums for over a year before joining and asking anything. Almost every question I had was answered by patiently searching. So Junior Member, yes. Noob...not quite.

That being said, I am very heavily leaning towards replacing my battle-scarred Tilt with a Samsung Omnia II instead of a TP2 variant. Lots of pros, very few cons, at least for the things I use my device for the most. One of the BIGGEST cons, however, would be that I would lose the guidance, support, knowledge and hard-earned wisdom of the people that post here by straying from HTC. :eek:

And so I hesitate.

I've likely read posts into the multiple thousands here, and despite the device or app, or even OS under discussion, one theme runs through it all:

We love messing with our phones.
Better, stronger, faster, smarter, louder, brighter, more fun ..... ad infinitum.

So, for the sake of that common goal, I say add new forums. Break them down by manufacturer. Even iPhones. All those people that bought one, only to discover the limitations of their expensive "cool" new phone? Let's help those poor saps too, ok?

YES to new forums!! :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ZTE Blade coming shortly. Thanks for the requests.
    EDIT: Proper Forum Request Thread

If you look back in XDA history you will see the non HTC devices is new. XDA has always been mostly an HTC based site as they work with developers. We have been adding non HTC devices slowly. A hundred requests on a forum of over 4 million is not alot. Now for the part about the biggest joke. I never even heard of this pad before and outside of this thread I don't think I ever will again.

Your right xda is not the only source. Hell all the info needed to start developing for the tab is available to any and all that want to mod the tablet

You know, while you make a pretty valid point, I find the hostility unnecessary. And yes, XDA in the past has been essentially a HTC forum from the start. But with the rise of Android, the site has grown exponentially, hence your hatred towards the average-non-dev forum user. I know your pain, I've seen it first hand. They do not provide any help whatsoever to developers, simply stating "feature xxx is borked" without logs or any supporting information.

I get the frustration, but to attack a device, and various people on this thread for throwing their support of it is kind of childish and utterly ridiculous, don't you think? And to say you've never heard of the device and never will again? Close-minded, maybe? Don't get out much? I dunno. Gizmodo, Engadget have been mentioning it for the last 6 months since it's announcement. Even, Arstechnica wrote a brief and underwhelming review of it.

First of all, I'll state that it is the only tablet to date that:
    1. Fully supports a digitized pen, not a 3rd party addon stylus
    2. Fully supports a full-sized USB port, that allows 3rd party connectivity, e.g, mouse, keyboard, portable hdd, etc..
    3. And IMHO the only tablet with real productivity use and potential

Secondly, you want some sort of proof of developers and/or support for the device that you've bashed and the people that have taken the time to post (understandably some not in the most positive words). You've already disregarded the original request thread that has over 10k of views and 135 replies, albeit in the wrong section and understandably underwhelming, etc. Yet I still feel obligated to prove you wrong :p

Several applications and modifications have sprouted since the release of the TPT.

Root/SU progress - dedicated users attempting to root and/or achieve root/superuser access.
    Modification - dedicated users found out how to add a 3G radio to their WiFi only device.
    Quill - an app developed solely by a TPT owner.
    WritePad Stylus - an app originally developed for all Android tablets that has grown exponentially due to the release of the TPT.

Now, before you become agitated by my response and feel the need to lash out. I'll state, that I am not attacking you, but simply and relatively kindly expressing concern and enlightenment in an area of knowledge I feel you're lacking in, namely, for a device as wonderful as this tablet, a device that has true productivity potential (like a laptop or even more!). I would also like to point out that I believe the majority of the people here have come for a simple and unified purpose. And that purpose is to join; and to put it in your own words, "[...] a place to come to learn and share your knowledge [...]".

Surely, you cannot hold that against us. And to point out that I completely agree with you that, "If you are not here for those reasons then you are here for the wrong ones." I also understand that you probably don't give a ****, but maybe, just maybe there is a compassionate side to you. Maybe that side could understand our point of view, that we really just desire a central place to join and share the the knowledge we gain and pass on to others for a device that we own and care about.

Cheers

EDIT: Proper Forum Request Thread
    please

some off the HUAWEI DEVICES
    U8120 aka VODAFONE845 :cool:
    U8100 Huawei
    U8110 Tmobile Pulse mini
    U8150 IDEOS
    U8220 Pulse
    Hwuaei U8150 aka Vodafone IDEOS aka T-Mobile Comet.

Are 200+ requests enough? ;)
    IT would be nice to respond or make some update to first post on considered - to be considered or not to be consuidered devices .

Is any MOD reading HeRe ? :confused:

BTW again Huawei FORUM pls . thnx