Coolpad 9976a bricked (modding buil.prop)

Search This thread

federimau

Jul 12, 2012
That sucks!
I would call their tech support then, hopefully they can walk you through a process to fix it or send you a new handset being they gave you the software to flash
Can't say for sure what their policy is but I would recommend not to mention it was ever rooted or tampered with other than the software they sent you

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

i really can not believe this @demkantor... do you have any ROM for coolpad 9976a flashable through spflashtools??
@Thor can you help??

federimau

Jul 12, 2012
That sucks!
I would call their tech support then, hopefully they can walk you through a process to fix it or send you a new handset being they gave you the software to flash
Can't say for sure what their policy is but I would recommend not to mention it was ever rooted or tampered with other than the software they sent you

I do not talk with tech support directly, i talk with the seller (antelife), they talk with coolpad, i do no t want to re send the item to they (will wait 40 days and other 40 days to get a new one). i will try to flash any ROM with spflash... i need to find a GOOD one...
The phone comes rooted from factory.

mirchichamu

Nov 14, 2007
If antelife told you that it supports 850 mhz frequency then they are responsible. If you have paid via PayPal, then you can place a dispute. My seller (merimobiles) has placed 900/2100 frequencies on their website. Some other websites also mentioned the same frequencies.
If you go through the thread 9976a root, you will find how to flash a rom through sp tools.

Sent from my Coolpad 9976A using Tapatalk

Hnk1

Dec 23, 2012
Newcastle Upon Tyne
OnePlus 5
Moto G6
Just to be clear, there are two to three versions of phones with variation in their baseband frequencies. When you look online at specifications, most websites shows you all frequencies and it doesn't mean that every phone comes with all those frequencies. Every model has different baseband frequency due to operators working on different frequencies in different regions.
Usually the 2g frequencies are similar whilst 3g n LTE have difference in their frequencies. This usually means you can use 2g on your phone but not 3g/4g.

One fact is that phones made for mainland China are only supported in China and not in US/ Europe. I think the claim on the website might be wrong. I suspect your phone doesn't have 850mhz and you are only being played by your seller.

However, if you are sure the model you have supports 3g frequency , flashing ROM wouldn't help. You will need radio (baseband receiver) file that you should flash according to your model. ROM would only help if it contains the radio files. (usually it doesn't )

Here is an example : I am using Xperia L. It has two models. C2105 and C2104. Whilst in other phones I have seen up to three variations in frequencies.

2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - C2104, C2105
3G Network HSDPA 900 / 2100 - C2105
HSDPA 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 - C2104

Many websites would just quote
GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network HSDPA 900 / 2100 / 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100
which doesnot mean your phone supports all of above baseband frequencies. This is because the phone sold in every region are made for a particular region after marketing studies.

So if you buy a phone from another country/ online/ phone imported from another country but you aren't aware of it might not be supported in another region.

Good luck

Last edited:

federimau

Jul 12, 2012
Just to be clear, there are two to three versions of phones with variation in their baseband frequencies. When you look online at specifications, most websites shows you all frequencies and it doesn't mean that every phone comes with all those frequencies. Every model has different baseband frequency due to operators working on different frequencies in different regions.
Usually the 2g frequencies are similar whilst 3g n LTE have difference in their frequencies. This usually means you can use 2g on your phone but not 3g/4g.

One fact is that phones made for mainland China are only supported in China and not in US/ Europe. I think the claim on the website might be wrong. I suspect your phone doesn't have 850mhz and you are only being played by your seller.

However, if you are sure the model you have supports 3g frequency , flashing ROM wouldn't help. You will need radio (baseband receiver) file that you should flash according to your model. ROM would only help if it contains the radio files. (usually it doesn't )

Here is an example : I am using Xperia L. It has two models. C2105 and C2104. Whilst in other phones I have seen up to three variations in frequencies.

2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - C2104, C2105
3G Network HSDPA 900 / 2100 - C2105
HSDPA 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 - C2104

Many websites would just quote
GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network HSDPA 900 / 2100 / 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100
which doesnot mean your phone supports all of above baseband frequencies. This is because the phone sold in every region are made for a particular region after marketing studies.

So if you buy a phone from another country/ online/ phone imported from another country but you aren't aware of it might not be supported in another region.

Good luck

Thanks @Hnk1 talked with the seller and never say the phone do not support 850 mhz... is weird...

thor2001

Oct 3, 2010
Nuremberg
I don't think you will get the 850 MHz 3G working.

You should talk with the seller about sending the device back and getting a refund.

Regards

federimau

Jul 12, 2012
I don't think you will get the 850 MHz 3G working.

You should talk with the seller about sending the device back and getting a refund.

Regards

hi @Thor the seller SAYS this cell support WCDMA 850 MHz... weird...

can you do me a favor? please install the mobileuncle Tools app and goes through the Menu: Engineer Mode-Engineer Mode (MTK)-BandMode-SIM1...
and say me all frequencies you can use or select? i will confirm the correct frequencies this cell supports (i can select 900 and 2000)... will return the item...
@networkdood
@demkantor
@mirchichamu
@Hnk1
can you do this? thanks to all...

federimau

Jul 12, 2012
hi @Thor the seller SAYS this cell support WCDMA 850 MHz... weird...

can you do me a favor? please install the mobileuncle Tools app and goes through the Menu: Engineer Mode-Engineer Mode (MTK)-BandMode-SIM1...
and say me all frequencies you can use or select? i will confirm the correct frequencies this cell supports (i can select 900 and 2000)... will return the item...

@networkdood
@demkantor
@mirchichamu
@Hnk1
can you do this? thanks to all...

hi @Body80 can you do this? thanks

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Sorry federimau but I don't have that device

Body80

Nov 26, 2012
Hi... Wait 1 hour and I try before installing 084 firmware, i m going to work

Inviato dal mio ME302KL utilizzando Tapatalk

thor2001

Oct 3, 2010
Nuremberg
@federimau

I really don't think you'll have success by check or uncheck things in the frequency screen.

What the device can is chosen by it's baseband, and I haven't seen any other baseband for 9976A.

That's my opinion.

Regards

federimau

Jul 12, 2012
@federimau

I really don't think you'll have success by check or uncheck things in the frequency screen.

What the device can is chosen by it's baseband, and I haven't seen any other baseband for 9976A.

That's my opinion.

Regards

in the frequency screen we are only able to select 900 and 2000 (all the other frequencies NOT)... but the seller say me this device support 850... i think this is not true...

mac231us

Oct 26, 2010
Yes Thor, i always do that before buying. http://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/31742b48
You can see the four WCDMA frequencies that our devices support (850, 900, 1900, 2100).
I need 850 Mhz in 3G mode, but this frequency comes deactivated (see the attachment) i can only activate 900 and 2100...
Thq¿e question is...Can i flash another ROM or baseband to make this work??
@Thor Can you talk with your russian friends for any advice?
The phone is working excellent in all their functions, i only need to "open" that 3G frequencies.
Any advices or help?
I used mobileuncle app, i do this screenshot attached (i do not have the posibility to activate the frequencies i need)
@mirchichamu
@networkdood
@Simba501
@johndebur

Thanks in advance for all.

Been following this thread as some good discussions but honestly confused here

I am located in USA and am on ATT network

According to an ATT message board, ATT supports the following
For GSM 850 MHz and 1900 MHz.
For HSPA+, 850 MHz (Band V) and 1900 MHz (Band II)
For LTE 700 MHz (Band XVII) and some 1700 MHz (Band IV)

Can i use this Coolpad 9976 on ATT..would I be limited to like one frequency only on both GSM and 3G? Thanks for any advice (was about to buy this but held off)

federimau

Jul 12, 2012
Been following this thread as some good discussions but honestly confused here

I am located in USA and am on ATT network

According to an ATT message board, ATT supports the following
For GSM 850 MHz and 1900 MHz.
For HSPA+, 850 MHz (Band V) and 1900 MHz (Band II)
For LTE 700 MHz (Band XVII) and some 1700 MHz (Band IV)

Can i use this Coolpad 9976 on ATT..would I be limited to like one frequency only on both GSM and 3G? Thanks for any advice (was about to buy this but held off)

Noo, you can not use coolpad 9976... it supports 900 Mhz WCDMA (HSPA)

Psimo_de

Apr 29, 2014
Any German friend that can apply and update or ROM flashable by stock recovery (3e)... wowww that is a big one

hi federimau,
I had a problem with my 9976a, it is in boot loop.
So I think I need a new system with all components.
Your hint to a german friend is for me importand, then I be a German and my english is not so understandible.
Please could you give me a connect to your friend?
Thanks.
Or could YOU help me? It was very kind.
Kinds
Psimo_de

federimau

Jul 12, 2012
hi federimau,
I had a problem with my 9976a, it is in boot loop.
So I think I need a new system with all components.
Your hint to a german friend is for me importand, then I be a German and my english is not so understandible.
Please could you give me a connect to your friend?
Thanks.
Or could YOU help me? It was very kind.
Kinds
Psimo_de

Hi, do you have stock ROM? do you know what version was?
The cell never start?
Start thinking you will need the phone drivers, the usb cable and a PC with all the flash software installed

crazyturk37

Sep 18, 2014
coolpad 9976a

It all depends on your current phone status.

Why did you try to modify it in the first place, how did you try it?

If you're able to
0) put phone in recovery-mode,
1) connect to the phone via adb,
you could
2) rename/delete the wrong build.prop directly on the phone.

So you don't need to push or pull anything.

I'd start MTKDroidTools, connect the powered off phone or while it's powered on being inside the recovery-mode, and hit the ADB-button...then:

"adb shell"
"cd system"
"rm build.prop" deletes current file
"mv build.prop.bak build.prop" renames your backup to original file
"reboot" restarts the device

If you want to use another ROM, you need a proper cwm-recovery to flash (any) kind of that .zip ...that's also the reason,why you couldn't install another ROM on your phone, because your current recovery haven't got the rights to do it. This will also be keeping you from using a update.zip containing the proper build.prop,but that's only a guess.

...on the fly with 9976A

hello my friend
I was brick Coolpad 9976
I need your help
you use Coolpad 9976
you may find life with backup my device
Send me knowing you to take a backup with mtkdroidtools
I'm trying for a long time but I could not
Spare me just the same device can recover device
I'm sorry for bad english
Yandex take backup of your device or upload it to another site if I can download from there
please help me
regards

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It all depends on your current phone status.

Why did you try to modify it in the first place, how did you try it?

If you're able to
    0) put phone in recovery-mode,
    1) connect to the phone via adb,
    you could
    2) rename/delete the wrong build.prop directly on the phone.

So you don't need to push or pull anything.

I'd start MTKDroidTools, connect the powered off phone or while it's powered on being inside the recovery-mode, and hit the ADB-button...then:

"adb shell"
    "cd system"
    "rm build.prop" deletes current file
    "mv build.prop.bak build.prop" renames your backup to original file
    "reboot" restarts the device

If you want to use another ROM, you need a proper cwm-recovery to flash (any) kind of that .zip ...that's also the reason,why you couldn't install another ROM on your phone, because your current recovery haven't got the rights to do it. This will also be keeping you from using a update.zip containing the proper build.prop,but that's only a guess.

...on the fly with 9976A
    Hi to all of you, I need the help of anyone on how to extract and restore (adb commands pull and push) the build.prop file in my cell (now bricked) i had the files (modified buil.prop and the original backup build.prop.bak) inside the phone...
    The main problem I have: An issue with device recognition in windows PC... driver ADB VCOM MTK 6592 (tried in different PCS windows Xp and 8) (the device manager "see" the vcom preloader but only a little moment (in the first instant when connect the cell (cell off) with usb cable) and then dissapear (disconnect) the vcom preloader...
    When I type the command adb devices, result: no devices found...
    Tried to upgrade the vcom drivers (when i can catch it in the active state in device manager)... nothing
    Tried to "on" the phone... nothing
    Tried to flash a new ROM from Recovery (MIUI or Feelingme 078)... ERROR installation aborted
    I can see this effect (with usbview): the usb is recognized in the PC (but just for a little moment at the instant when plug it), then disconnect...
    I need to recover the original build.prop.bak from coolpad memory, rename it to build.prop and send it to coolpad again...
    I think i can flash (from recovery) an original build. prop (packed as update.zip) doing the wipes and apply update from sdcard)... anyone can assist me on this?
    This new 9976A item comes to me with 048 version, custom buid version 265 and rooted from factory...
    Anyone can please help me?
    Hold the line... :D

I'd try booting in recovery and once you're inside it, connect the phone to the PC, while MTKDroidtools is running. It should be found by Droidtools (MT6592,but without IMEI) and you hit the ADB-button.

After that, use the commands I mentioned earlier ...

The build.prop isn't unique, so if you're unable to use your backup you could use mine (but still need a connection through adb or update.zip).

What is the current recovery on your phone? I know, there's a way building an update.zip...but I've never tried/used that.

The short timespan, in which you can see your device in windows devicemanager, you can right click on it and use "update driver"-function pointing to the VCOM-files. As soon as you click "update driver" you've got time and it will be installed correctly.

ADB-drivers are easy to install, because it can be while the device isn't connected.

Which VCOM-driver did you install, which ADB-driver on which OS?

...on the fly with 9976A
    @federimau

Here, try this update.zip...it should contain the correct build.prop
    You need a working system first.

Then use a TWRP or cwm-recovery for installing any custom ROM...

I don't use any custom ROM, so you already asked in the right thread (9976A ROOT).

If this not work, can i flash what ROM with this Recovery (3a)???
    any links to suggested ROMs that work with Recovery 3a???