[App][v1.1]Popup Browser Invoker

Search This thread

vijai2011

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 24, 2011
Hey fellow XDA friends,
As we know that popup browser is added in stock JB roms but there is no way to launch it from launcher but only by clicking links.So I have made an app with the help of Gamma(my fellow dev) that will launch the stock popup browser with www.google.com as the home page.The app currently works perfect on Note and I expect it to work on all JB TW roms.But since I only have Note N7000 with me,I'm unable to test it on any other device running JB.Those having other phone running JB based TW roms can test it and report me ;)

This is my first app I have ever written for android and I want it to be open source and have uploaded the sources too_Of course there isnt much big in the source as it only calls the Stock popup browser.But still Its my will to make all my work(more in future) opensource :)

This app works only on JB based TW roms.That means it wont work on AOSP or AOKP like CM10 and CM10 based roms etc..This is because There is no Popup browser on Roms built from sources like CM10.And this app is not a standalone popup browser app.It only invokes the stock popup browser already present in our JB roms...

Installation instruction:
1.Download the app v1.1 here
2.Install it as normal app or push it into /system/app with permission rw-r-r

Everyone are free to include this app in there roms without asking prior permission as long as credits are given :).Please do press thanks if you use this app :)

Thanks to Gamma for helping me build my first app :)

Source-Update will be uploaded soon :)

Code:
Change log:
1. Added support for android 4.2.
2. Removed toast for those who don't like it.

Remove old app if you have before installing v1.1.Or else you will get signature conflict
 because the signature is changed as I lost my old key store :silly:

Last edited:

vijai2011

Oct 24, 2011
Very nice work :good:
I moded the stock popup browser now for bigger size on screen.
Now its perfekt with your App ;)

You made it resizeable or just increased the width and height in dimens???

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
It's the same thing as adding a bookmark on the homescreen that opens google :p It'll ask of you want to use pop-up browser.

Written and sent by Google Now

vijai2011

Oct 24, 2011
It's the same thing as adding a bookmark on the homescreen that opens google :p It'll ask of you want to use pop-up browser.

This app directly calls the popup browser activity and how do you call this a bookmark widget????:p

I had to give Google.com because popup browser will give fc when started without a weblink at the start ;)

Reactions: boodies

kam333

vijai2011,

great work, I expected the browser to work this way, but it didn't, now you've sorted it, thanks

p.s.

here's a slightly larger sized browser for anyone that wants it,

This is not the same as the apk in this thread, it's not installable, you have to copy to into /system/app, overwriting the original, set permissions to rw-r-r.

don't forget to keep a copy of the original, just in case you want to go back.

Attachments

• 2012-11-05-03-29-19.jpg
    2012-11-05-03-29-19.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 775
  • PopupBrowser.apk
    147 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
This app directly calls the popup browser activity and how do you call this a bookmark widget????:p

I had to give Google.com because popup browser will give fc when started without a weblink at the start ;)

Noo, i didn't say that this is a simple bookmark, i said that it's possible to do this with a bookmark. Long-press the homescreen, choose "shortcut", then "Google". Now when i tap the bookmark it'll ask ask if i want to open the pop-up browser :p But we do save a few steps with your app :p

Reactions: vijai2011

zai89

Jul 15, 2012
5°15′N 117°0′E Sabah
Is it posible to open two or three popup browser at the same time?

Sent from my GT-N7000
========================
Rom:
Leaked JB 4.1.1

Kernel:
Philz 2.7
========================

vijai2011

Oct 24, 2011
vijai2011,

great work, I expected the browser to work this way, but it didn't, now you've sorted it, thanks

p.s.

This is not the same as the apk in this thread, it's not installable, you have to copy to into /system/app, overwriting the original, set permissions to rw-r-r.

Hmmm...crack said he made the mod and you post it...:|.Anyway I'm trying to make the popupbrowser resizeable but held up with lots school work now :|

kam333

Hmmm...crack said he made the mod and you post it...:|.Anyway I'm trying to make the popupbrowser resizeable but held up with lots school work now :|

hi,

I saw Chrack's post, but this is one I changed before you started your thread, you might have noticed the browser headers are darker than the stock version, I've also changed the icon.

if anyone wants to resize it, just need to edit the dimens.xml in res/values folder, "main_body_width" & "main_body_height" are the 1st two lines to edit.

I noticed the mw_window_mode_resize.png in drawable-hdpi folder. so it looks like it should be resizable, but it's beyond my skills atm to figure out how to activate it. tho, there is a new build on its way, xxls3, hopefully it will work in that build?

cheers again

http://www.androidcentral.com/andro...note-could-add-nature-ux-multi-window-feature

vijai2011

Oct 24, 2011
hi,

I saw Chrack's post, but this is one I changed before you started your thread, you might have noticed the browser headers are darker than the stock version, I've also changed the icon.

if anyone wants to resize it, just need to edit the dimens.xml in res/values folder, "main_body_width" & "main_body_height" are the 1st two lines to edit.

I noticed the mw_window_mode_resize.png in drawable-hdpi folder. so it looks like it should be resizable, but it's beyond my skills atm to figure out how to activate it. tho, there is a new build on its way, xxls3, hopefully it will work in that build?

cheers again

http://www.androidcentral.com/andro...note-could-add-nature-ux-multi-window-feature

That was the exact question I asked to chrack regarding the dimens xD.Yeah I too hope it gets resizeable in the next build we get ;).

Chrack

Feb 12, 2011
Bergheim
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Hi,
sorry i didnt read taht you ask me ;)
Sometime it´s better to PM me.

Here is what i changed in the original PopupBrowser.apk
in the "dimens.xml" in res/values folder.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<resources>
    <dimen name="main_body_width">[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]460.0dip[/COLOR][/B]</dimen>
    <dimen name="main_body_height">[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]510.0dip[/COLOR][/B]</dimen>
    <dimen name="button_width">55.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="title_bar_height">38.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="url_bar_height">36.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="url_bar_width">[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]300.0dip[/COLOR][/B]</dimen>
    <dimen name="nav_bar_height">48.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="title_text_width">221.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="webview_width">332.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="back_button_width">44.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="main_body_min_width">300.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="main_body_min_height">300.0dip</dimen>
</resources>

Also i changed the App-Icon of your App because its to small and i dont like the colour :angel:

Attachments

• ic_launcher.png
    ic_launcher.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 1,337

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey fellow XDA friends,
    As we know that popup browser is added in stock JB roms but there is no way to launch it from launcher but only by clicking links.So I have made an app with the help of Gamma(my fellow dev) that will launch the stock popup browser with www.google.com as the home page.The app currently works perfect on Note and I expect it to work on all JB TW roms.But since I only have Note N7000 with me,I'm unable to test it on any other device running JB.Those having other phone running JB based TW roms can test it and report me ;)

This is my first app I have ever written for android and I want it to be open source and have uploaded the sources too_Of course there isnt much big in the source as it only calls the Stock popup browser.But still Its my will to make all my work(more in future) opensource :)

This app works only on JB based TW roms.That means it wont work on AOSP or AOKP like CM10 and CM10 based roms etc..This is because There is no Popup browser on Roms built from sources like CM10.And this app is not a standalone popup browser app.It only invokes the stock popup browser already present in our JB roms...

Installation instruction:
    1.Download the app v1.1 here
    2.Install it as normal app or push it into /system/app with permission rw-r-r

Everyone are free to include this app in there roms without asking prior permission as long as credits are given :).Please do press thanks if you use this app :)

Thanks to Gamma for helping me build my first app :)

Source-Update will be uploaded soon :)

Code:
    Change log:
    1. Added support for android 4.2.
    2. Removed toast for those who don't like it.

Remove old app if you have before installing v1.1.Or else you will get signature conflict
     because the signature is changed as I lost my old key store :silly:
    vijai2011,

p.s.

Seems good installed fine and it works.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium
    Nice one Vijai! :)
    Thx for credits :)
    show what???its simple.install the app and you can use it.Or you mean how i made the app,there is the source code of the app in OP

Originally Posted by thedicemaster View Post

works great on my note 2, I can now launch the popup browser with a quick command gesture.

I was asking about how he opens your app with a quick command gesture (I thought he meant something like the double tap on the top of the phone). I have a US T-Mob SGS3 which doesn't have multi-view yet. So if I'm texting and the persons I'm texting asks me something I need to look up in the browser, I have to back out to tap your icon. With a quick command gesture it would be easy for me to do this while texting, on the phone, whatever. I did figure out a partial solution. A clever dev modded the pulldown shade to allow up to twelve icons when your headphones are plugged in. Good thing is they can be any apps, not just media-centric ones. So, I installed it and put your PopupBrowser icon in the list. This makes PopupBrowser more usable as I can start it from the pulldown shade while doing many things without having to back out. If only someone can do this without having to have headphones in, it'd be perfect!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1756355
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1763441