Help Unlocking Bootloader on HTC One Max, Verizon

Search This thread

visualmog

Oct 16, 2010
I have an HTC One Max from Verizon, stock, unrooted, odex, running HBOOT 2.49.0000

I am trying to attempt to unlock the bootloader so i can S-OFF

When i use HTC's DEV site, and submit my token, it tells me that my MID is not allowed.

When i use rumrunner i get this error (see atttached image)

I have tried may things posted on XDA and utube with no success.

if anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 2014-07-01_18-44-46.jpg
    2014-07-01_18-44-46.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 124

visualmog

Oct 16, 2010

ceo4eva

Sep 30, 2008
Ellicott City
OnePlus 11
You cant unlock the bootloader at HTCdev with this devicebecause of carrier regulations so you use firewater to do that. It unlocks your bootloader and gives you s-off

I need to change my sig to show the One Max lol

Also from doing some reading rumrunner isnt effective on HBOOTs after 2.46 or so

Last edited:
Reactions: visualmog

visualmog

Oct 16, 2010
Use Firewater and download it using internet explorer. I just got S-OFF on my VZW device 2.49 HBOOT

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53834731&postcount=25

Credit goes to @ferrojasaguilar

Ok once again, this is an HTC one max (not the HTC one m7 or m8) and it's Verizon I am referring to - not sprint or AT&T - and I am trying to unlock the bootloader. I can't s-off until I unlock the bootloader first. If you have an HTC one max (not the HTC one m7 or m8), and it's specifically a Verizon carrier, then tell me how you managed to unlock the bootloader.

visualmog

Oct 16, 2010
Ok once again, this is an HTC one max (not the HTC one m7 or m8) and it's Verizon I am referring to - not sprint or AT&T - and I am trying to unlock the bootloader. I can't s-off until I unlock the bootloader first. If you have an HTC one max (not the HTC one m7 or m8), and it's specifically a Verizon carrier, then tell me how you managed to unlock the bootloader.

Sorry stupid Firefox entered the same thread twice. I will again attempt to use Firewater, but it didn't work for me the last attempt I made. Thanks for the advice and I will follow up.

ceo4eva

Sep 30, 2008
Ellicott City
OnePlus 11
I have a verizon one max HBOOT 2.49 unlocked bootloader by using Firewater http://firewater-soff.com/

After you read what it is for on the homepage click on the Instructions/Download Tab and of the 3 methods given, use the "Instructions (WeakSauce method - some m8 models and maybe others)" method.

Basically you need to download the app called Weaksauce it is in the steps for the method above and at the link -->http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2699089

When you install the app, it will give you root. install SuperSu from the market and begin the process of Firewater.

Note:

1. When you boot your device make sure weaksauce roots your device before you being to use firewater (you can download the Root Checker app from the market to verify that you have root before you start)

2. Download firewater using Internet Explorer

3. Follow the instructions carefully from both weaksauce and firewater

good luck

Reactions: visualmog

visualmog

Oct 16, 2010
I have a verizon one max HBOOT 2.49 unlocked bootloader by using Firewater http://firewater-soff.com/

After you read what it is for on the homepage click on the Instructions/Download Tab and of the 3 methods given, use the "Instructions (WeakSauce method - some m8 models and maybe others)" method.

Basically you need to download the app called Weaksauce it is in the steps for the method above and at the link -->http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2699089

When you install the app, it will give you root. install SuperSu from the market and begin the process of Firewater.

Note:

1. When you boot your device make sure weaksauce roots your device before you being to use firewater (you can download the Root Checker app from the market to verify that you have root before you start)

good luck

I followed your directions and somehow it worked!! the only thing I did differently was downloading firewater from IE instead of firefox. amazing how that is what was causing my issue. I am now unlocked and s-off. thanks for your help and advice everyone

Last edited:

visualmog

Oct 16, 2010
Great I had the same problem but it was like magic

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using XDA Free mobile app

Question, now that i have successfully unlocked the device and achieved s-off, and also have installed a current of version of twrp and rooted, does installing future OTA updates affect any of this? would installing an OTA update cause me to have to re-root? or possibly lose my "unlocked, s-off"?

Thanks,

JBS976

Jun 19, 2013
Cincinnati
Question, now that i have successfully unlocked the device and achieved s-off, and also have installed a current of version of twrp and rooted, does installing future OTA updates affect any of this? would installing an OTA update cause me to have to re-root? or possibly lose my "unlocked, s-off"?

Thanks,

You will need to have the stock recovery in order to take an OTA. In my case for Kit Kat OTA, I was unlocked rooted and S-OFF and still got the update. You will probably lose root but unlock and S-OFF will remain.

visualmog

Oct 16, 2010
You will need to have the stock recovery in order to take an OTA. In my case for Kit Kat OTA, I was unlocked rooted and S-OFF and still got the update. You will probably lose root but unlock and S-OFF will remain.

So you are saying that if i updated my recovery to TWRP, i would not be able to install the OTA update? Also, did you lose root when you applied the update? and if so, how did you regain root?

visualmog

Oct 16, 2010
If twrp senses that you do not have root it will give you an option to slide to root

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using XDA Free mobile app

ok that answers the last parts of my question, but what about the first? if I am running a custom recovery (TWRP), I will be unable to install OTA updates?

JBS976

Jun 19, 2013
Cincinnati
ok that answers the last parts of my question, but what about the first? if I am running a custom recovery (TWRP), I will be unable to install OTA updates?

That is correct, you need the stock recovery and stock rom, you can be rooted and will lose it, but S-OFF will remain. Root is easy to get back so it's no big deal

WreakHavoc

Feb 20, 2014
I just delt with this exact problem. U won't be able to get any while rooted. I ended up having to install the RUU via fastboot and lock my bootloader in order to get Ota updates. I still consider myself to be a noob. I think you gotta have the stock recovery installed as well.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You cant unlock the bootloader at HTCdev with this devicebecause of carrier regulations so you use firewater to do that. It unlocks your bootloader and gives you s-off

I need to change my sig to show the One Max lol

Also from doing some reading rumrunner isnt effective on HBOOTs after 2.46 or so

Note:

good luck