[Q] Build.prop edit fail -- Completely dead?

Search This thread

blakestimac

Dec 2, 2008
San Francisco
Yep, I became that idiot that started messing around with stuff he didn't about well enough. It's been a while since I've really messed around with rooting and editing system files, and this is where it got me.

In an attempt to install CyanogenMod on the G Pad 8.3 (this was a while ago), I attempted to switch out the build.prop file with something else, for whatever reason. Now the tablet will only boot up to the LG logo and hang until it dies.

Yesterday, I attempted to see if I could do absolutely anything for it, and I've found a little out but I'm not sure if it's enough to possibly do some tablet necromancy.

I downloaded the LG Flash Tool, but have only used the USBView file that comes with it. With the tablet plugged in, the tablet looks like it turns off and on every five minutes or so. When the screen turns on and shows the LG logo, I hear the device 'disconnect' from the computer. When the screen turns off, i hear the 'connect' sound on the computer. During the time the tablet is "off" I see the device show up as a USB Input Device on USB View, and managed to track it down on Device Manager as a HID-compliant device.

At this point, I'm not sure what the next step would be in the attempt to saving the tablet if I can. Any and all attempts at installing a new driver for the tablet have failed, and I can't seem to boot into anything else but this boot loop of nothing.

Serves me right if I can't get this thing fixed, but it would be rad if someone knew where to go next from here.

Thanks

sleekmason

Dec 22, 2013
Fayetteville
sleekmason.wordpress.com
are you using Windows or Linux? Which Gpad do you have assumed it is the LG LGE and not the Google Play edition? Do you have adb installed? if you have a Google Play Edition I will be more than happy to upload a copy of the build.prop.

If you saved a copy, use adb to push it back onto your device.
Code:
Adb push file_you_want_to push where_you_want_to_push_it
Example:
Code:
Adb push /home/desktop/build.prop /system
note the space between prop and /system.
this might be a problem because /system is a read only file, but there are ways around this you will have to look them up. If you could get into your device for instance you can mount /system as read / write and simply copy and paste your build.prop file over. I am unsure whether you could do this from recovery or not,and I suppose it would only work if you had already allowed your computer to get into your device. I guess without more information as to what you did there isn't a whole lot to say.
for me, sometimes receiving a small amount of information about how to solve a problem will lead to something better or bigger.

blakestimac

Dec 2, 2008
San Francisco
I was rooted and more than likely had USB debugging on. I still can't seem to update the driver in anyway for adb to recognize it. The LG drivers are all installed through exe files so it's harder to just go to device manager and point it to the right driver. ADB devices shows nothing.

Also, this is the korean version. Not sure how much that changes anything, but I'd love to get either the US or Google Play software on this puppy if it's able to be saved.

katsika

Oct 15, 2013
Athens
if you have twrp recovery you can make a flashable zip with the right build.prop and push it using the sideload command