Android 2.2.1 (FRG83D) Update

Search This thread

exa_gon

Aug 4, 2010
Hi,
i've a question, because i never received any OTA update...Someone can tell me why ?

My android is :

Android : 2.2.1 ( updated manually )
Build : FRG83
Kernel : 2.6.32.9-27240-gbca5320 Android-build@apa26 #1
Radio : 32.41.00.32U_5.08.00.04

then i've rooted the phone by adm and i've installad the clockwork 2.5.1.0

Someone can tell me why ? ( the phone at the beginnin is branded by vodafone italy )

thanks a lot
EXA

junkiehyjinx

Jun 9, 2010
st.pete fl
Anyone notice anything different so far? I'm seeing better battery life. 18hrs of medium use and still got 35% left. Normally it would have died by now.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

danger-rat

Feb 14, 2010
USA
Hi,
i've a question, because i never received any OTA update...Someone can tell me why ?

My android is :

Someone can tell me why ? ( the phone at the beginnin is branded by vodafone italy )

thanks a lot
EXA

Custom recovery is why...

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
Custom recovery is why...

Custom recovery is NOT why. You will still get OTA updates with a custom recovery. (I'm using a custom recovery with a stock ROM, and have gotten all OTA updates...)

What messes them up is a custom ROM. Not all custom ROMs will register the OTA update.

danger-rat

Feb 14, 2010
USA
Custom recovery is NOT why. You will still get OTA updates with a custom recovery. (I'm using a custom recovery with a stock ROM, and have gotten all OTA updates...)

What messes them up is a custom ROM. Not all custom ROMs will register the OTA update.

Thanks for the clarification.
I knew the updates could be flashed through a custom recovery, but wrongly assumed that that was the only way (manually flashing).

twflys

Jan 26, 2008
the better battery life is in your head.... not better for me, the same- if not worse actually.

DarkDvr

May 30, 2007
It seems any update (be it kernel, ROM or radio) immediately spawns "OMG better battery life" posts everywhere.

sarskild

Jan 13, 2010
Hi,

My android is :

thanks a lot
EXA

Assuming you're not running a custom rom, the reason why is because your original rom is vodafone branded and the vodafone phones don't get the OTA immediately because the updates first pass trough vodafone and they send their own custom OTA updates.

At first I also had a Vodafone rom but now I flashed the American rom (the WWE versions at shipped-roms.com ) and now I receive the OTA's immediately.

saint327

Feb 27, 2009
Orlando Area
Settings has been able to do that for a while.

I am still hoping they will address car home lol It's not very safe trying to read or dial sideways, because the car home app simply reuses apps that don't allow rotation. Reorienting the phone to the vertical position when using car home is a pain...

DarkDvr

May 30, 2007
Settings has been able to do that for a while.

I am still hoping they will address car home lol It's not very safe trying to read or dial sideways, because the car home app simply reuses apps that don't allow rotation. Reorienting the phone to the vertical position when using car home is a pain...

Just as a thought, I tried both and find portrait orientation better - u can see more of what's ahead in the Google Nav. Plus, everything is compatible with portrait mode.

Try it a little more, maybe u'll agree.

jmattp

Apr 15, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
In addition to having root explorer access with ES File Manager, did anyone notice the new Places ratings widget? It prompts you to create a public Places nickname when you first launch it.

It uses GPS to guess your location, then you can rate it with or without a comment.

neoxz

Nov 22, 2009
In addition to having root explorer access with ES File Manager, did anyone notice the new Places ratings widget? It prompts you to create a public Places nickname when you first launch it.

It uses GPS to guess your location, then you can rate it with or without a comment.

that widget was there with map updates few days back.