[APP BOT] TTN7Bot & GPSBot: Possible solution to TomTom 7 and other GPS programs lag

Search This thread

beemerTPPC

Retired Recognized Developer
Mar 23, 2006
Madrid
beemer.sesma.eu
[APP BOT] TTN7Bot & GPSBot: Possible solution to TomTom 7 and other GPS programs lag

I've written a small application that seems to solve the problem with TomTom navigator 7 that shows a position of several meters back from the real one.

Simply copy the file to the folder where TomTom_Navigator.exe (or TomTom Navigator.exe) is and launch this application instead the real TomTom.

The idea behind this file is that the lag is caused due to the full CPU usage of TomTom navigator that leaves few or even none CPU time to the GPS drivers. This bot launches TomTom and then reduces the TomTom process priority. The bot itself unloads from memory when TomTom exits.

I have tested it and seems that works Ok, but I want your opinions before making a good icon for it (icon designers wellcomed ;) )

EDITED:
In order to make the program more general, I've created GPSBot that works in the same way but have a GPSBot.txt file with the name of the program to be launched between colons. As an example the zip contains a file with "TomTom_Navigator.exe". This version also needs to be copied to the same folder than the executable in order to allow to have several copies for different programs.

Download it from my page: http://beemer.sesma.eu/en/gpsbot.htm

Last edited:

egg

Aug 7, 2006
Hi,

as I've seen the issue with TT7 and iGO8, i've now installed TT6 - but have not tested it yet.

Will this work with TT6? How is it operating?

Thanks!

darkbyte

Jun 12, 2004
Will be posible to do the opposite and increase the cpu priority for the GPS drivers ???
I think that this will help ANY application that uses the GPS.
Only my 2 cents...

MiToNiOeS

Jul 11, 2008
thanks,

i think that you can put a config file for to specify the exe file and we could use it for all programs

Jin187

Feb 28, 2007
Tomtom 7 has Zero lag for me, its IGO8 that has the problem, Is it possible to create this file for IGO8 too?

private69

Aug 27, 2006
Hello,

I will test this afternoon and i will write feeback after.

Thanks for your job.

@+++

beemerTPPC

Mar 23, 2006
Madrid
beemer.sesma.eu
If the idea works for most people, I can create a full configurable program, no problem.

It is not possible to do the opossite because the "drivers" are a lot of different code (GPS driver itself, GPS ID, virtual ports, etc.) and have the highest user priority. I tried some time ago with a simmilar issue with TTN5 to upgrade the priority of the virtual ports, etc. to system priorities and it didn't work.

tabugman

Jul 30, 2008
Tried renamong Igo.exe to TomTom_Navigator.exe and start the bot (placed in my IGO folder obviously). At first I get a debug window showing the path to my TomTom_Navigator.exe (really my Igo.exe) which I have to press OK on.

After this Igo launches and seems to work fine. I haven't been able to test whether the bot helps with the lag, but I'll try on my way home from work.

Provided it works on IGO aswell, it would be really great if we could get a version in which you can edit a config-file to point at the .exe of whatever gps app you happen to use.

rumpleforeskin

Jan 20, 2008
if this works it proves that the lag is caused by innefficient cpu horse power to decode satalite info and run sat nav software. If this is the case HTC must have known about its shortcommings when deciding to move away from a dedicated GPS chipset?

This begs questions about their level of commitment to producing high quality devices. This is certainly not an issue i have had to deal with on previous HTC devices and i would be upset it they have taken a step backwards in hardware and charged me for the priviledge.

I have raised the issue of GPS lag with HTC and have yet to recieve a response, has anybody else had a satisfactory answer from the manufacturor?

DomXDA

Mar 11, 2005
Just tried with (renamed) IGO8: no change, still the lag. Could it be the navigation software that cannot unstack the GPS data? What about increasing the navigation software priority?

KukurikU

Nov 23, 2006
Rehovot
Tomtom 7 has Zero lag for me, its IGO8 that has the problem, Is it possible to create this file for IGO8 too?
don't know about TT but iGO8 has Zero lag for me. i used simultaneous my htc athena and the diamond in my car and they both spoke in unison..lol!
no lag, just spot on at every intersection!

nooms

Oct 26, 2007
paris
doesnt work for me ! its worse...

I've written a small application that seems to solve the problem with TomTom navigator 7 that shows a position of several meters back from the real one.

Simply copy the file to the folder where TomTom_Navigator.exe (or TomTom Navigator.exe) is and launch this application instead the real TomTom.

The idea behind this file is that the lag is caused due to the full CPU usage of TomTom navigator that leaves few or even none CPU time to the GPS drivers. This bot launches TomTom and then reduces the TomTom process priority. The bot itself unloads from memory when TomTom exits.

I have tested it and seems that works Ok, but I want your opinions before making a good icon for it (icon designers wellcomed ;) )

really sorry but it does not work ....
my rom is V6
radio 25 05
TT 7 map france 7

bye
nooms

kiowa79

Jun 10, 2008
But if it is caused by navigaton software CPU ussing, why it does not happen when working with an external gps? I've not tested myself, but read this
...I have more or less 5 seconds of lag, and the precision is awful...
If I use a BT external receiver connected to Diamond, than I don't have this problem...
It seems that the receiver is refreshing to less, or the communication between the receiver and the GPS software is too slow...

beemerTPPC

Mar 23, 2006
Madrid
beemer.sesma.eu
I had the same problem some years ago with a X51v and Compact flash GPS, it had the lag and even lose completelly the signal, but it didn't happen with BT GPS. The reason was that the BT serial driver had a very high system priority while the CF serial driver ran at standard user priority.
For that problem I wrote the TTN5Bot (and IgoBot) that are still on my web page http://personales.ya.com/beemer/ttn5boten.htm . They solved the problem.

That's why I have thought that the problem were the same now: TTN with VGA devices take a lot of CPU to calculate the graphics and makes the CPU run at 100%, doing that any other app or driver with the same priority could fail or at least not work on real time.

I've tested it again on my car and I'm pretty sure that it works a lot better than before, but until I can do the test as a passenger I cannot control the screen and drive :(

kiowa79

Jun 10, 2008
I had the same problem some years ago with a X51v and Compact flash GPS, it had the lag and even lose completelly the signal, but it didn't happen with BT GPS. The reason was that the BT serial driver had a very high system priority while the CF serial driver ran at standard user priority.

That's why I have thought that the problem were the same now: TTN with VGA devices take a lot of CPU to calculate the graphics and makes the CPU run at 100%, doing that any other app or driver with the same priority could fail or at least not work on real time.

For your information it happens with every gps software, not only tomtom but also igo8 or oziexplorer. Otherwise, if it is a gps driver issue this is normal.

The most strange for me is that some users are reporting the lag and others not at all. If it is a driver issue all of us must have the problem, am I wrong?

Do not worry and stay handling your driving wheel ;), I'll test tomorrow morning your app and report feedback.

Last edited:

ivan101

Feb 9, 2008
tomtom7

Indeed have the same problem, that means, if you mean that the gps will not come up in tomtom7?! I worked around (seems to work on diamond and the pro version), first start up google maps (put on gps position), if that works, start up tomtom and close google maps. seems to work everytime now.
also i was thinking if has nothing to do with the tweaking tools?!

ivan

For your information it happens with every gps software, not only tomtom but also igo8 or oziexplorer. Otherwise, if it is a gps driver issue this is normal.

The most strange for me is that some users are reporting the lag and others not at all. If it is a driver issue all of us must have the problem, am I wrong?

Do not worry and stay handling your driving wheel ;), I'll test tomorrow morning your app and report feedback.