Need help rooting a galaxy mega I527m

Search This thread

blazingsun

Apr 9, 2014
edmonton
IM new to this and im not the brightest canyon in the box .
Ive read a bunch of tutorials ,downloaded odin , then after install cwm or team with odin which I have done . Even after installing when I goto recovery its still the normal stock recovery. when reading up on cwm they says your phone needs to be rooted for it to work. yet all of the forums and tutorials I have read say you need cwm or team to be able to install the supersu.zip.to root your phone.

This oxymoron in my mind makes me want to shoot myself in the head with the proverbial bullet.

|>/\nte

IM new to this and im not the brightest canyon in the box .
Ive read a bunch of tutorials ,downloaded odin , then after install cwm or team with odin which I have done . Even after installing when I goto recovery its still the normal stock recovery. when reading up on cwm they says your phone needs to be rooted for it to work. yet all of the forums and tutorials I have read say you need cwm or team to be able to install the supersu.zip.to root your phone.

This oxymoron in my mind makes me want to shoot myself in the head with the proverbial bullet.

That's because c.w.m. needs root access to work properly. You need first to root your phone and then install the recovery. Try out the vroot chinese rooting toolkit, works on many devices.

blazingsun

Apr 9, 2014
edmonton
Its looks promising however where I'm getting confuse is the part where all these tutorials say that you need to install the recovery first to be able to root your device. but on the other hand the recovery wont install properly unless your phone is rooted first.
To me this is turning into a real what came first the chicken or the egg .

|>/\nte

Its looks promising however where I'm getting confuse is the part where all these tutorials say that you need to install the recovery first to be able to root your device. but on the other hand the recovery wont install properly unless your phone is rooted first.
To me this is turning into a real what came first the chicken or the egg .

As far as I know, installing a recovery before rooting ends up with a useless recovery. The recovery needs root access so it can work properly (e.g. installing custom roms).

Captain Sweatpants

Feb 18, 2014
Edinburgh
To clear up a bit of confusion here you do not need root to install cwm through fastboot or Odin. That being said if you attempt to use cwm to flash a custom ROM without root it will fail as you do not have the permission to edit the system. This root method works by installing cwm through Odin without root then using cwm to flash a root patch thus giving you root permissions. It will not work on the american variant ( thank verision) but works on other variants.

Sent from my C5303 using xda app-developers app

blazingsun

Apr 9, 2014
edmonton
After about a day of reading forum after forum I found a solution , probably wasn't the easiest method but it worked. I flashed a custom kernel then after that I was able to flash team recovery and boot the root file.
However the down side to this was I lost the ability to use wifi and screen capture. so now I have another problem to fix and like 80% of the noobs out their I didn't back up anything and to top it off this was my wife phone. ;= )

So the solution to this is two methods, either flash another custom kernel or find the stock modem for your phone, both are normally easy to come by unless you have a galaxy mega 6.3 i527m such as myself. However after 4 redbulls and a half of cup of coffee I found this.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2461203&page=29

On this page the user name starmaster10 whip up a customer kernel ,modem to fix this issue.

so if you get stuck in a similar mess the key to recovery your wifi is make sure your modem baseband version match or flash a customer kernel.

The lesson to this story is happy wife happy life SO BACK YOUR PHONE BEFORE YOU START MESSING AROUND.

Thanks for everyone help

Last edited:

Captain Sweatpants

Feb 18, 2014
Edinburgh
If you flashed a custom kernel then you bootloader must have been unlocked so you could have just adb pushed the su binary

Programming is a race between engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

blazingsun

Apr 9, 2014
edmonton
yeah I had a feeling their was a simpler to do it. However I learnt how to trouble shoot some problems I may be able to help some other poor smuck with

lol well said

For myself it was knowing a little enough to cause damage