[Q] wipe gs4

Search This thread

cnall09

Sep 13, 2013
Mobile, Al
I apologize in advance if this question has already been asked but I was just wondering if it were possible to completely wipe the gs4 to stock like it come straight from Samsung and load your own kernels and roms. Or even load a dev edition or Google play edition load out so that the phone could be customizable. I mean isn't that all vzw does anyway is take the Samsung and Google packages add there own twist and apps to it and lock it down.? Sorry if this seems like a waist of time but it's just a question I keep asking myself but don't have the know how to test it for myself. Any input or further ideas would be appreciated.

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
I apologize in advance if this question has already been asked but I was just wondering if it were possible to completely wipe the gs4 to stock like it come straight from Samsung and load your own kernels and roms. Or even load a dev edition or Google play edition load out so that the phone could be customizable. I mean isn't that all vzw does anyway is take the Samsung and Google packages add there own twist and apps to it and lock it down.? Sorry if this seems like a waist of time but it's just a question I keep asking myself but don't have the know how to test it for myself. Any input or further ideas would be appreciated.

Here.. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2606501

Take some time and read through what's on that thread.

To answer your question though, unless your S4 is an MDK build or a Developer Edition you aren't going to be able to have a true custom recovery that allows for AOSP ROMs or custom kernels.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

cnall09

Sep 13, 2013
Mobile, Al
Here.. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2606501

Take some time and read through what's on that thread.

To answer your question though, unless your S4 is an MDK build or a Developer Edition you aren't going to be able to have a true custom recovery that allows for AOSP ROMs or custom kernels.

I have read through many many forums hoping someone has found away to bypass the bootloader and nothing so far. Im not asking if i can revert it to an early kernel. I merely suggested to take the s4 and revert it to basically it's shell and find the packages that come for the dev edition or google play edition and load it up. That doesn't sound to crazy does it?

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
I have read through many many forums hoping someone has found away to bypass the bootloader and nothing so far. Im not asking if i can revert it to an early kernel. I merely suggested to take the s4 and revert it to basically it's shell and find the packages that come for the dev edition or google play edition and load it up. That doesn't sound to crazy does it?

Ohh OK gotcha! Hey to me that sounds like a great plan lol just I'm in way over my head when it comes to fully understanding what's needed to make something like that really happen.

cnall09

Sep 13, 2013
Mobile, Al
Ohh OK gotcha! Hey to me that sounds like a great plan lol just I'm in way over my head when it comes to fully understanding what's needed to make something like that really happen.

You and me both buddy. But hopefully someone with the know how will see this and give it a try. Who knows it could be the answer we have all been waiting for.

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia

You can't just revert to the original Google-supplied Android files as that operating system shell doesn't have drivers for the specific hardware devices in your phone - it has to be modified to add drivers for the screen, radio, cameras, touchpad, and so forth. That's files provided in the Kernel, so in the end you're asking to revert to an earlier kernel.

You can't install a Google Edition ROM image without customizing it for the specific phone, which is what some people have done. That is, to take the stock ROM and replace bits with those from the GE phone to try to get closer to the original; however, you can't go very far with this without having to change the kernel to make it compatible with GE, so you're stuck.

It's not a horrible situation as we can still use Safestrap to boot a custom ROM as long as it's compatible with the touchwiz kernel. If we could replace that kernel, we'd be able to run a lot more ROMs, but since the locked bootloader will reject a non-Samsung kernel, we're stuck.

cnall09

Sep 13, 2013
Mobile, Al
You can't just revert to the original Google-supplied Android files as that operating sysm shell doesn't have drivers for the specific hardware devices in your phone - it has to be modified to add drivers for the screen, radio, cameras, touchpad, and so forth. That's files provided in the Kernel, so in the end you're asking to revert to an earlier kernel.

You can't install a Google Edition ROM image without customizing it for the specific phone, which is what some people have done. That is, to take the stock ROM and replace bits with those from the GE phone to try to get closer to the original; however, you can't go very far with this without having to change the kernel to make it compatible with GE, so you're stuck.

It's not a horrible situation as we can still use Safestrap to boot a custom ROM as long as it's compatible with the touchwiz kernel. If we could replace that kernel, we'd be able to run a lot more ROMs, but since the locked bootloader will reject a non-Samsung kernel, we're stuck.

I understand all of that. I am currently running hyper drive installed through safestrap but it still feels governed apposed to a Google rom. We are still stuck on 4.3 and everywhere else has a later version. I still don't understand why you can't completely erase the internals to reload with a different loadout. Isn't it the same phone regardless of where you get it rather it be samsung or verizon or google?whenever we download updates it installs new cameras and radios I'm not talking about reverting I'm talking about completely shipping the phone down to nothing but download mode and install new kernels drivers and software. Just like the developers at any of the companies do except we won't have to do any testing or development

Last edited:

Ryno77

Feb 13, 2012
I understand all of that. I am currently running hyper drive installed through safestrap but it still feels governed apposed to a Google rom. We are still stuck on 4.3 and everywhere else has a later version. I still don't understand why you can't completely erase the internals to reload with a different loadout. Isn't it the same phone regardless of where you get it rather it be samsung or verizon or google?whenever we download updates it installs new cameras and radios I'm not talking about reverting I'm talking about completely shipping the phone down to nothing but download mode and install new kernels drivers and software. Just like the developers at any of the companies do except we won't have to do any testing or development

Short answer - no, you can't do that...it doesn't work that way. Depending on the bootloader your phone came with you cannot downgrade. You can try erasing everything and starting over but that's one thing you cannot change.....your stuck.

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur

Feel free to do what you want...but you may end up with a $600 door stop. ..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Surge1223

Recognized Contributor
Nov 6, 2012
Florida
Google Pixel 6 Pro

You can totally do this, you can replace the kernel and everything. The phone won't boot, and you'd have a hard brick though. The problem isn't replacing the kernel, the problem is getting the phone to boot after doing so. Download mode operates through aboot, aboot has protections and conditions set that regulate what kernel and recovery partitions you can boot. If these are replaced with a "non-allowed" version the phone simply won't boot, in other words it would be hard-bricked at this point.

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia

"Shipping the phone down to nothing but download mode" - yes, you can wipe the internal ROM and strip it down to download mode.
Then you have a brick which runs just the downloader. OK, it's not quite dead, because you can flash stuff. But what can you flash?

OK, so you want to "install new kernels drivers and software". That's not always possible. You flash kernels and and software using the bootloader, but the bootloader won't allow you to flash a kernel that's not pre-approved by Samsung. If you're rooted, the rest of the phone storage can be overwritten with whatever custom software you want, but there's a hitch. You can install whatever software you want EXCEPT for the kernel. (If not rooted, you can't even do that without a custom recovery, which the bootloader won't allow.)

The software that you flash depends on the kernel to drive the hardware, so you can't flash base software that requires services that the stock kernel doesn't provide. This is why only certain ROMs are available for Safestrap - you can't flash CyanogenMod on a Safestrapped i545 because CM isn't compatible with the Touchwiz kernel. It's theoretically possible to modify CM to make it work with a TW kernel, but nobody has done that (unsurprising, as it would be a lot of work that would have to be repeated each CM release.)

The bootloader chain is the way Samsung enforces the restrictions on what you can and can't do with your phone. With a locked bootloader (like ours), you're very limited. Until the bootloader protections are breached, what you propose can't be done.

cnall09

Sep 13, 2013
Mobile, Al
Feel free to do what you want...but you may end up with a $600 door stop. ..

well thank you so much for your permission to do what I want I was so afraid you wouldn't approve. and I have geek squad protection with unlimited replacements and no deductable so it doesn't hurt my feelings in the least bit if things don't go as planned. I know i ain't as seasoned as some of yall on here but thats how things get done by asking questions and trial/error.

cnall09

Sep 13, 2013
Mobile, Al
"Shipping the phone down to nothing but download mode" - yes, you can wipe the internal ROM and strip it down to download mode.
Then you have a brick which runs just the downloader. OK, it's not quite dead, because you can flash stuff. But what can you flash?

OK, so you want to "install new kernels drivers and software". That's not always possible. You flash kernels and and software using the bootloader, but the bootloader won't allow you to flash a kernel that's not pre-approved by Samsung. If you're rooted, the rest of the phone storage can be overwritten with whatever custom software you want, but there's a hitch. You can install whatever software you want EXCEPT for the kernel. (If not rooted, you can't even do that without a custom recovery, which the bootloader won't allow.)

The software that you flash depends on the kernel to drive the hardware, so you can't flash base software that requires services that the stock kernel doesn't provide. This is why only certain ROMs are available for Safestrap - you can't flash CyanogenMod on a Safestrapped i545 because CM isn't compatible with the Touchwiz kernel. It's theoretically possible to modify CM to make it work with a TW kernel, but nobody has done that (unsurprising, as it would be a lot of work that would have to be repeated each CM release.)

The bootloader chain is the way Samsung enforces the restrictions on what you can and can't do with your phone. With a locked bootloader (like ours), you're very limited. Until the bootloader protections are breached, what you propose can't be done.

yes sir i did mean stripped down. sorry for the typo. and ok im not talking about stripping it down just to boot a custom rom or kernel. i want authentic samsung/google software and kernels. so the samsung wouldn't even accept its on software. I apologize for seeming argumentative thats not my intent at all. im just trying to get a good idea and handle on how some of this works. i appreciate your input and help on this matter and your patience.

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
yes sir i did mean stripped down. sorry for the typo. and ok im not talking about stripping it down just to boot a custom rom or kernel. i want authentic samsung/google software and kernels. so the samsung wouldn't even accept its on software. I apologize for seeming argumentative thats not my intent at all. im just trying to get a good idea and handle on how some of this works. i appreciate your input and help on this matter and your patience.

Yeah it's a good idea for someone like yourself who seems fairly new to this stuff, because what you're proposing is kind of what were trying to do to unlock the boot loader. The problem basically is that the very base software contains checks to make sure you're using Samsung approved software.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

FordNate

Oct 28, 2012
Sacramento
Yeah it's a good idea for someone like yourself who seems fairly new to this stuff, because what you're proposing is kind of what were trying to do to unlock the boot loader. The problem basically is that the very base software contains checks to make sure you're using Samsung approved software.

i know how to permanently unlock it without bricking it. Hit it with a hammer smoke a whole lot n watch in amazement as the bootloader flies out of this phone, able to be replaced of course. Just kidding dont do that, although ive been tempted

Reactions: joshm.1219

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur
well thank you so much for your permission to do what I want I was so afraid you wouldn't approve. and I have geek squad protection with unlimited replacements and no deductable so it doesn't hurt my feelings in the least bit if things don't go as planned. I know i ain't as seasoned as some of yall on here but thats how things get done by asking questions and trial/error.

reading helps too my friend....also I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that geek squad warranty coverage applies to the the misuse or negligent use of a product....you best read the fine print again.

any way good luck

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

i know how to permanently unlock it without bricking it. Hit it with a hammer smoke a whole lot n watch in amazement as the bootloader flies out of this phone, able to be replaced of course. Just kidding dont do that, although ive been tempted