[Q] Impression i7 Tablet

Search This thread

Woostyle

Sep 10, 2010
Hershey, PA
I was recently shopping for a knock-around tablet and came across leaderinternationalinc dot com this little guy at Kmart. Yep, I said Kmart. When I asked the price and they told me $129, I said SOLD!.

So far it's been average in performance and had to do some trickery to get some apps installed (Android/Amazon Market, Pandora, Google Talk, etc.) and am still having some difficulty installing other apps. It seems as if they really want you to use their market and apps, some of which are okay, I guess. I got Netflix installed, but the audio/video isn't in sync and everything is a hue of blue.:eek: Might be a Flash Player issue - also which I can't seem to update.

Anyway, the bad news is I can't find a way to get in to bootloader or able to root this tab with oneclick. Hopefully they didn't lock this thing down to hard.

Additionally, since the screen is resistive, using a stylus makes it a bit easier to navigate. Worth the money so far!

I'm praying the brilliant dev brains here at XDA will purchase this one and create a simple root/rom that allows me to take this thing to the next level!

Anybody out there?

Woostyle

Sep 10, 2010
Hershey, PA
Sorry... Still a bit of a noob in forums. Where exactly was this moved to? Search provided no results. On a side note, did you buy one of these yet? ;—)

Thanks.

Sent from my i7 using XDA App

Woostyle

Sep 10, 2010
Hershey, PA
We're heeeerrrree

Looks like it's the same, but in a new place.

We're heeerreeee basit....

Were you able to get the standard Market installed on it? I was able to get it along with Pandora, Google Voice and a couple others (Netflix not working well) with a little trickery. Still can't get Google Talk and a few other things like an updated Flash.

If I can get a plain vanilla Froyo on this I would give this cheap little tab a solid B.

Woostyle

Sep 10, 2010
Hershey, PA
#bonus
I know this doesn't have anything to do with my original [Q], but I thought I would share anyway...

I contacted Impression about another AC adapter... 1 isn't enough...
After I registered my device, they shipped me another for free!

Any devs out there for this one?

xxnitro123

Nov 14, 2011
Los Angeles
just return it and get another one, a tablet thats $129 is probably not going to be great at that price.. other than the time hp touchpads were $99 :p

Woostyle

Sep 10, 2010
Hershey, PA
Yeah, it's not the snappiest device I've owned, but makes a great desk-side companion. Mainly use it for Pandora, Weather, IM and a few other things...I'm generally still happy with it although I know it won't replace my primary device. Having the (free) second AC adapter is nice so I don't have to carry that back and forth. 2 hours of streaming music kills the battery dead.
Stay plugged in with this one.

Still hoping, praying that a dev picks one of these up...

Woostyle

Sep 10, 2010
Hershey, PA
You can install the Android Market without any funny business. Just download the apk and install. Still think this device can perform much better if it just had vanilla froyo... Hope someone cracks it.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using XDA App

sactownsav

Nov 6, 2010
Sacramento
I have an i7 and I got it rooted, what factory installed .apk's are safe to remove? I prefer my own music/movie players etc....

Thanks in advance

Woostyle

Sep 10, 2010
Hershey, PA
What did you use to root? Superoneclick didn't work for me the last time I tried... Did it unlock the bootloader?

sactownsav

Nov 6, 2010
Sacramento
What did you use to root? Superoneclick didn't work for me the last time I tried... Did it unlock the bootloader?

I used super1click, the newest version. It didnt work the first few times, i ended up doing shell root first, then was able to achieve root as normal. It did seem to take a while.

Edit: I just rooted a 2nd i7.... had the same trouble with it just hanging during root. When it hangs, quickly unplug the usb the replug it in. Once it detects usb debugging again it will root properly and pass the verification at the end.
Hope that helps

Last edited:

dustomcgee

Nov 29, 2011
I used super1click, the newest version. It didnt work the first few times, i ended up doing shell root first, then was able to achieve root as normal. It did seem to take a while.

Edit: I just rooted a 2nd i7.... had the same trouble with it just hanging during root. When it hangs, quickly unplug the usb the replug it in. Once it detects usb debugging again it will root properly and pass the verification at the end.
Hope that helps
Just attempted rooting it myself with Superoneclick.

Did shell root first and that went fine. Attempted normal root right after and it hung right at the end when it said the device was rooted and would restart. Unplugged and replugged the usb quickly and then it rebooted.

My i7 was definitely not rooted when it rebooted. Not sure what went wrong. Attempted it numerous times with the same result sadly. Did it hang right at the end for you or at a different point during the root?

tray7971

Feb 11, 2008

Hope that helps
Can you detail the process that worked for you? soon as I click root it goes to not responding??????

sactownsav

Nov 6, 2010
Sacramento

Did shell root first and that went fine. Attempted normal root right after and it hung right at the end when it said the device was rooted and would restart. Unplugged and replugged the usb quickly and then it rebooted.

My i7 was definitely not rooted when it rebooted. Not sure what went wrong. Attempted it numerous times with the same result sadly. Did it hang right at the end for you or at a different point during the root?

When it hangs at the end it never worked for me. Id suggest trying the different methods to root instead of auto....i just pretty much tried everything until i goot root to stick...if it hangs during root steps thats when to unplug and replug.

Sorry i dont have a more speific solution, but i did get two rooted like this

Oh and obviously double check usb debugging is enabled

Sent from my A500 using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: dustomcgee

dustomcgee

Nov 29, 2011
Alright. Thanks for replying. Assumed if it was hanging at the end then it wouldn't work. Just wanted a confirmation on it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Have been reading through this thread and thought I'd share some tips.

First, the easiest way to root the device is to use Z4root. The reboot screens never appear, but the exploit does successfully run. Upon reboot, install SuperUser and you're all set.

As far as getting ADB connectivity, that one's a little trickier, but not impossible.

You'll need the standard Android SDK w/ JDK. Open up the SDK and download the the "Google USB Driver package", along with the "Android SDK Tools".

Once the driver has been downloaded, open "C:\<User Profiles>\<Username>\.android\ADB_USB.INI" and add the following line:

0x18D1

Save the file and then open "C:\<Program Files Folder>\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver\android_winusb.inf".

Add the following lines:

;Impression i7
    %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_1F00
    %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_1F00&MI_01
    ;

Save the file and then restart ADB.

Make sure your Android Device is in Debugging mode and connect it to your computer.

You should now be able to run "adb devices" and it return something similar to:

In Windows:

List of devices attached
    InfoTMIC-MID device

In Linux:

List of devices attached
    ???????????? device

A lot of features can be added by downloading the CyanogenMod's bundles of Google Apps. Voice Search works after getting the framework installed. IRIS even functions, but the TTS engine beeps randomly when encountering punctuation.

The camera only seems to work with the pre-installed photo app. Any other programs get a smears/deinterlaced version of the image on the screen and the device slowly begins to slow down eventually needing a reboot.

The most exciting part of this device for me is the USB port. The device accepts USB flash drives and recognized a Kensington Micro USB Bluetooth adapter's PNP id, but did not load the necessary stack/drivers to make the device useful. If we could get USB Bluetooth Adapter support, bluetooth would allow GPS support and this would be one heck of a device. I would be interested to see if there is support for a USB keyboard. I was reading that the stock Google Bluetooth driver stack support up to 250 different chipsets. If there were a way to get these drives and stack/UI loaded, omg. Freakin' potential.

There's a lot this little tablet can do by simply rooting it. I can't wait 'til the professionals get ahold of it. If you don't like the InfoTM Home screen, download LauncherPro and HomeSwitcher for a more traditional feel.

The latest version of YouTube from the Android market gives an error 400, not sure what causes it. I'm sticking with 2.0.26 with minimal quirks.

Personally, I'd like to see if we could come up with a custom 2.2 or 2.3 ROM for this and start pushing some envelops.

Happy modding!

Chris S.
    Please use the Q&A Forum for questions Thanks
    Moving to Q&A

When it hangs at the end it never worked for me. Id suggest trying the different methods to root instead of auto....i just pretty much tried everything until i goot root to stick...if it hangs during root steps thats when to unplug and replug.

Sorry i dont have a more speific solution, but i did get two rooted like this

Oh and obviously double check usb debugging is enabled

Sent from my A500 using xda premium