Flashing a Kernel via Recovery vs ADB

Search This thread

Silicon Knight

Mar 9, 2011
Seattle, WA
I was curious as to any difference between flashing a Kernel via ADB using a boot.img or flashing it as a .zip via recovery. Is there a benefit of one over the other. I've always done it via ADB, but I recently tried via a zip file through TWRP but didn't notice any difference, but wasn't sure if I was just being oblivious or not lol

I heard someone mention that when flashing it via ADB you don't get the Modules that come with the Kernel. Which I don't know if that was BS or not, cause as I stated, after trying it both ways, I didn't notice any features taken away i.e. flashed bricked kernel via ADB and then restored stock kernel and then flashed bricked via TWRP, and I was able to activate DT2W/S2W regardless of the method of flashing, as well as OC capabilities, Fast Charge, etc etc.

Just been curious about this for awhile, and there doesn't seem to be much discussion about it, so was unable to find an answer. Dev's always seem to give you the option to download a boot.img or .zip file, and wasn't sure if htat was just due to giving peopel the choice of preferred flashing method, or because of inherit benefits between the two.

Chromium

Oct 5, 2012
Toronto
chromium1.blogspot.ca
Its simply 2 different options of installation. The final result is the same: a boot.img gets extracted and written onto the appropriate partition of your device.

When you use fastboot to flash the img. the executable on your computer does this directly.
When you use a recovery to flash the zip (which also contains the boot.img), the edify script within the zip gives instructions to the recovery on how and where to write the image to.

There isnt really any advantage to doing one over the other.

BirchBarlow

Oct 6, 2013
Philadelphia
I was curious as to any difference between flashing a Kernel via ADB using a boot.img or flashing it as a .zip via recovery. Is there a benefit of one over the other. I've always done it via ADB, but I recently tried via a zip file through TWRP but didn't notice any difference, but wasn't sure if I was just being oblivious or not lol

I heard someone mention that when flashing it via ADB you don't get the Modules that come with the Kernel. Which I don't know if that was BS or not, cause as I stated, after trying it both ways, I didn't notice any features taken away i.e. flashed bricked kernel via ADB and then restored stock kernel and then flashed bricked via TWRP, and I was able to activate DT2W/S2W regardless of the method of flashing, as well as OC capabilities, Fast Charge, etc etc.

Just been curious about this for awhile, and there doesn't seem to be much discussion about it, so was unable to find an answer. Dev's always seem to give you the option to download a boot.img or .zip file, and wasn't sure if htat was just due to giving peopel the choice of preferred flashing method, or because of inherit benefits between the two.

Fastboot is the tool to which you are referring to, not ADB. You use fastboot to flash image files to partitions directly through the bootloader. That being said, there's no difference which method you use, the end result is the same. Using fastboot requires an unlocked bootloader, flashing through the recovery does not. When you flash a zip through the recovery, the proper destination partition is automatically overwritten whereas when you flash an image in fastboot, you have to specify the proper partition. That's the only real difference.

Reactions: danarama

Silicon Knight

Mar 9, 2011
Seattle, WA
Excuse me, Fastboot is what I meant yes. My bad lol.

Thanks for the info, I figured as much. Im experienced with both methods and understand how they work. Just wasn't sure if there was a benefit over one or the other when it comes to flashing custom kernels. Thanks bro I appreciate the help. I will stick to flashing via fastboot then. I just prefer to do it that way.

I also use flashify sometimes as well. Seems to work pretty good.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

4Freedom

Jul 9, 2013
Its simply 2 different options of installation. The final result is the same: a boot.img gets extracted and written onto the appropriate partition of your device.

When you use fastboot to flash the img. the executable on your computer does this directly.
When you use a recovery to flash the zip (which also contains the boot.img), the edify script within the zip gives instructions to the recovery on how and where to write the image to.

There isnt really any advantage to doing one over the other.

i have a locked bootloader but i have root, can i "flash" throught root explorer overwriting boot.img file?
and reboot?

jball

Jan 7, 2012
Amber
Unlock your device and just use the a custom recovery.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jun 14, 2012
can we change kernel alone

i am using SENSONIC with stock kernel can i change kernel alone.

I want to change to franco kernel . Is it enough installing zip using recovery or i have to do fresh install of the ROM.........

Thanks in advance.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Fastboot is the tool to which you are referring to, not ADB. You use fastboot to flash image files to partitions directly through the bootloader. That being said, there's no difference which method you use, the end result is the same. Using fastboot requires an unlocked bootloader, flashing through the recovery does not. When you flash a zip through the recovery, the proper destination partition is automatically overwritten whereas when you flash an image in fastboot, you have to specify the proper partition. That's the only real difference.