HTC Vivid Wont Turn On!?

Search This thread

zRadiz

May 24, 2012
Soo my phone just died and I plugged it into the charger. I left for like 10min came back and it didnt turn on.
I plugged out the charger and put it back in, then the orange like would light up for about 5 seconds then turn back off. Right after that my home, menu, back, and search button would vibrate everytime id touch them.

I tried to take out battery for 5min then insert it back in and turn it on.
Still a blank screen.
Everytime I plug in the charger into the phone. Light would come up, go away, then buttons vibrate.

Anyone have a solution for this problem?

Will be much appreciated! :good:

etownrider89

Apr 13, 2011
Funny you ask, my phone did the exact same thing for about 3 days. Was afraid to take it in since it's rooted, however figured it was worth a shot, took it in, let them take a look. They didn't bother checking the phone other than putting in a code to show the battery stats. Declared it was a faulty battery and was still under manufactured warranty so they ordered and shipped me a brand new battery. Matter of fact I just received it today and am now typing from the very same phone. It's just the battery

Sent from my HTC VIVID.

zRadiz

May 24, 2012
Funny you ask, my phone did the exact same thing for about 3 days. Was afraid to take it in since it's rooted, however figured it was worth a shot, took it in, let them take a look. They didn't bother checking the phone other than putting in a code to show the battery stats. Declared it was a faulty battery and was still under manufactured warranty so they ordered and shipped me a brand new battery. Matter of fact I just received it today and am now typing from the very same phone. It's just the battery

Sent from my HTC VIVID.

I dont think I have a warrenty. Do you really think its the battery?

One time it successfully turned back on. I cant remember how I did it... lol

etownrider89

Apr 13, 2011
Yea its definitely the battery. I left it plugged in alllll day and nothing. It would flash for 10 seconds then turn solid for 5 then turn off. Bottom buttons would have that haptic feedback. But screen wouldn't turn on. I put the new battery in about 3 hours ago after getting off of work (they fed exed) it. And it has worked ever since. P.S. If you have att you are always under the standard manufacturers warranty for one year from purchase date. It doesn't hurt to call and ask or take it in.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda app-developers app

zRadiz

May 24, 2012
It cant be possible, because ive actually got it turned back on before....

It just seems like everytime my phone dies I have this problem.
and it takes forever to get it to work again..

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
Well if it's the battery just order an anker battery off amazon. Anker is actually a great company and I have 2 anker batteries right now as spares as well as an external anker power bank for instant charging purposes.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P510e using XDA Premium HD app

slapshot30

Feb 21, 2010
Nebraska
It cant be possible, because ive actually got it turned back on before....

It just seems like everytime my phone dies I have this problem.
and it takes forever to get it to work again..

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yea probably the battery. HTC will most likely send you a new one for free if you let them know what's going on. Or just go to your local AT&T/Bell/Rogers/etc store and they'll get you a new battery.

t1n0m3n

Jan 27, 2009
Chicago
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1717766
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1479060
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1531208
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1694017
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1769616
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1652689
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1732268
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1754534

EDIT: I have stopped looking for these threads. The more I look, the more I find. If the above threads don't convince you that there is a serious issue with the vivid, then adding more of the same problem will no longer help.

I have added this thread to a growing list of similar threads. Please read the other threads and see if your issues seem familiar.

From what I understand... Don't let your battery run out on this phone. Some Vivids kill batteries.
Solution? None yet.

1. Buy a new battery once a couple of months-ish, until someone figures out why some Vivids are eating batteries. YMMV
*OR*
2. You might invest in a external charger and see if that can bring the "Vivid munched" battery back to life. YMMV

I vote to thread merge the above threads if this proves to be the issue.

Last edited:

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
I've had my battery die several times with no issues. Of course since I have backup batteries and external chargers I just swap the battery and its all good

Sent from my VTC HIVID using the xda app

g33mt4z

Mar 14, 2011
Strahan
I had a similar problem a couple of months ago. Battery ran out, so I put my phone on the charger. Orange light came on for maybe 3 seconds, then the orange light would continually flash, must have happened all night once and it didn't gain any charge... Every night afterwards for about a week it was doing the same thing, only way I could fix it every time was to alternate battery pulls with unplugging the charger until the orange light stuck on. It took half an hour to get it to stay on sometimes.. But, since I've been using my new battery I've had no problems at all, even with the old battery, I try to circulate batteries all the time.. I'm at a loss as to what's causing my (old) issue. Lol, just remembered something silly and probably unrelated, but I think the problem stopped around the same time my original battery went through the wash.. I know I shouldn't be using it, but it seems to hold charge better as well :p this is not a recommendation to go out and run batteries through a washing machine cycle though ;-) just saying

Sent from my De-Sensed HTC Vivid using xda premium

simkid5614

Sep 29, 2010
Brooksville
So stupid these batteries. My dad's vivid hasnt had this issue, mine has, it did the exact same thing, I put my battery in his it wouldnt charge, put his in mine, it booted. I bought a new battery. White HTC vivid.

clago87

May 12, 2011
glad I found this thread I am having the same issue on my vivid. I unplug and pull battery but when trying to reboot orange light flashes a couple seconds and I just get feedback from the keys. I got it to work yesterday but I went ahead and turned it off and now I am back to nothing. See if replacing battery works. Do any other HTC batteries work or only ones specific to the vivid?

Guyanthalas

Aug 17, 2012
Potential Fix

Alright, had same problem as the OP and got my phone to turn back on by following these steps:

1. Plug in the phone, (get the brief orange light / Softkey vibrates) and let sit for about an hour.
  2. Remove phone from charger.
  3. Remove battery from phone.
  4. Wait for about 30 seconds.
  5. Insert battery into phone.
  6. Do *NOT* plug the wall charger back in yet.
  7. Attempt to power on phone.

Mine fired up to the HTC logo, and I was able to plug the charger back in. When it got to the home screen I had 28% battery life, so I'm pretty sure its charging even though its not turning on.

I'm not trying to suggest it isn't a bad battery. Or hardware. Or the universe hating you. I'm just letting you know what worked for me in the hopes it helps someone else.

Also, I haven't had the luxury to try and replicate these steps as a 100% success rate. I'm really not trying to let the phone die completely. :D

Reactions: Vetdoctor

positiveg

Oct 17, 2012
Newton Ground
I just posted the same question about this strange thing a few minutes ago, only to realise someone was having similar problems.
I'm located out the US so i'm hoping one these shops have a battery for this phone.
I'm going to try g33mt4z method and try battery pull with the power on and see if that helps cause i have no other alternative for a battery if non is on island and I'll have to order one online
thanks
G

positiveg

Oct 17, 2012
Newton Ground
Ok guys I think I got it.
What I did was
Take out the battery
Put the batter back in
Plug in the charger
When the light come on hold down Vol down and power button
When phone boots to bootlader choose recovery
you will get white HTC creen, leave phone plugged in for a while 30 mins or so
then while leaving charger plugged in attempt to power phone pn
phone should boot regularly
Finally.... don't let phone battery run down or get external charger or change to twrp as one person suggested.
I'm just glad that I was able to get my phone booted, as I live outside the US can't go to an ATT store and HTC phones aren't the most popular here.
I'm wondering if I should order a battery from Amazon just in case

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Potential Fix

Alright, had same problem as the OP and got my phone to turn back on by following these steps:

1. Plug in the phone, (get the brief orange light / Softkey vibrates) and let sit for about an hour.
    2. Remove phone from charger.
    3. Remove battery from phone.
    4. Wait for about 30 seconds.
    5. Insert battery into phone.
    6. Do *NOT* plug the wall charger back in yet.
    7. Attempt to power on phone.

Mine fired up to the HTC logo, and I was able to plug the charger back in. When it got to the home screen I had 28% battery life, so I'm pretty sure its charging even though its not turning on.

I'm not trying to suggest it isn't a bad battery. Or hardware. Or the universe hating you. I'm just letting you know what worked for me in the hopes it helps someone else.

Also, I haven't had the luxury to try and replicate these steps as a 100% success rate. I'm really not trying to let the phone die completely. :D