Front facing camera defect

Search This thread

Die Bruine

Jan 2, 2008
I have two Photon's with a defective front facing camera. I was wondering if there are any more XT897 users with this issue?

I know at least one of the camera's was working fine untill a couple of days ago. The other, well I'm not sure. I'm curious if this is just bad luck or maybe it's a design flaw like the the way the speaker is mounted in the XT894 (same speaker as XT897, had to swap one). I'm waiting for a new digitizer to replace. I'll have a look at that one to see if there's any wear & tear to be found. I hope it's just a bad connection or something. If I remember correctly, this camera uses a ribbon flat cable. So hopefully it's as easy as cleaning and correctly reconnecting it.
I just really, r e a l l y, hate disassembling the XT897 front housing :(

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
Front cam works here. I had another xt897, it met an unfortunate glass of water. Front cam worked fine on that one too, before its misfortune...

Die Bruine

Jan 2, 2008
Front cam works here. I had another xt897, it met an unfortunate glass of water. Front cam worked fine on that one too, before its misfortune...

The problem with these two phones is that the apps don't even see the camera. I am unable to select/swap camera's. So it has to be a hardware fault. And that worries me. One of these phones has never been opened. The other one, I can`t remember.

Will post here as soon as I get that new digitizer. After that I will open one up and see if I can fix it simply by cleaning/re-connecting the camera.