[Q] Blocked at the ‘YouTube Sign-In’ Dialog Box

Search This thread

Efemmeral

Apr 1, 2012
I cannot believe I’m the only one with this problem but I see nothing about this in the forums.

Problem: After successfully booting with TouchNooter 2.1.31, after logging into both YouTube and Gmail, after seeing my Gmail and seeing the Market options 24 hours later, I realized I needed access to a different Gmail address. I registered Gmail #2 with B&N then repeated the rooting process but now I cannot log into YouTube from the Nook. I can, however, log into YouTube from the PC.

Questions: Could Google’s Two-Step Verification prevent logging into YouTube from the Nook? Could updating the firmware (from 1.1.0 to 1.1.2) before reregistering the device be a factor?

My Steps: (I’ve repeated this cycle three times)
• restore the Nook’s original ROM from the image made following jocala’s instructions.
• see the “Welcome to Your All New Nook” screen.
• register the N2E with the B&N account which uses Gmail #2
• decline to give a credit card number
• delete the partitions from the SD card using Mini Partition Manager
• burn new TouchNooter 2.1.31 image to SD card. Follow all TouchNooter instructions.
• boot Nook with TouchNooter . Screen ‘turns’ black but does not ‘flash’ black. Remove SD card. Reboot.
• launch YouTube from ADW Launcher.
• Fail YouTube login. “The username or password isn’t valid. A YouTube account is required. Please try again.”
• use NookColorTools/Manage Applications to clear the YouTube cache.
• Fail Youtube login. “The username or password isn’t valid. A YouTube account is required. Please try again.”

Additional Details
I updated the Nook (from 1.1.0 to 1.1.2.) before making an image of the ROM.
Talked to B&N. Verified the B&N account (using Gmail #1) is deleted.
Performed an “Erase and Deregister” from the stock state.
Performed an “Erase and Deregister” from the TouchNooter state (a bad idea).

Can anyone tell me why I am stopped dead at the YouTube sign-in dialog box?

viouviou

Dec 13, 2011
It was my only idea, too bad :(

I am using my nook with 2 gmail accounts : I registered to BN and rooted with an account and then from the account menu in gmail I added another one. Emails are working for both accounts. I didn't try the market (because I use it only with the first account) and calendar/contacts sync.
Since rooting worked with #1, you can root again with #1 and add #2 as an extra account in gmail.

It doesn't really solve the problem but it's a way around.

Reactions: Efemmeral

Efemmeral

Apr 1, 2012
Solved: Indeed, Google's 'Two-Step Verification' was the issue. To log into YouTube from the Nook I needed to generate an 'application specific password' using Google's tool then enter the resultant 16-digit password into the password field of the TouchNooter/YouTube dialog box.

If you have 'Two-Step Verification' enabled (and you should), go to your Google Accounts page. Select "Application Specific Passwords" from the left side of the page. Scroll down to the tool for generating the password. Tip: It's best to watch the video first.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is your gmail account #2 linked to a youtube account?
    It was my only idea, too bad :(

I am using my nook with 2 gmail accounts : I registered to BN and rooted with an account and then from the account menu in gmail I added another one. Emails are working for both accounts. I didn't try the market (because I use it only with the first account) and calendar/contacts sync.
    Since rooting worked with #1, you can root again with #1 and add #2 as an extra account in gmail.

It doesn't really solve the problem but it's a way around.