Does anyone know how to unbrick the CDMA Hero?

Search This thread

kel_o91

Jul 7, 2009
My phone shut off and has not been able to turn since. I tried flashing a ROM and didnt relive after that. Please help.

katmandu421

Sep 8, 2008
Denver
Check to make sure it is charged and the battery is installed properly. I have had the battery so dead that it didnt even vibrate to indicate booting.

deadonarivalry

Nov 29, 2009
Yeah. Let it sit on the charger for a few minutes, make sure battery is in right and everything is plugged.

Check for amber LED, let it charge a few minutes, then try again and do it like that every couple minutes. If nothing still, buy a new battery or exchange it.

kel_o91

Jul 7, 2009
nothing so far ...ive scheduled an appointment to repair ...i know they wont be able to do anything for this phone. I wanted to see if I can avoid not having to give up my HTC hero and deal with a replacement phone for a while.

obededom

Aug 20, 2009
Ohio
ummmm, how did this happen?

you may not want to say for fear of bashing but I promise I won't, as far as I've seen it takes a very unique set of circumstances to actually brick these things

EDIT: my prediction: you tried to flash a GSM rom onto it

Last edited:

kel_o91

Jul 7, 2009
so when attempting to get the download file for the Eclair 2.1v1.5 rom it stated that the radio posted is recommended. Prior to flashing the radio i did a nandroid backup and then I flashed the radio. During the flash screen (open box to phone image) it blacked out after about 20 seconds.

obededom

Aug 20, 2009
Ohio
so when attempting to get the download file for the Eclair 2.1v1.5 rom it stated that the radio posted is recommended. Prior to flashing the radio i did a nandroid backup and then I flashed the radio. During the flash screen (open box to phone image) it blacked out after about 20 seconds.

sorry bout what happened. I know jack-diddley-squat about radios...so I might have been in your place if I tried it.

WhiteWidows

Jul 27, 2009

So my theory is that this nOOb flashed the GSM radio. Here is what he did.

He seen the post on the Eclair 2.1v1.5 rom on our forums and got click happy. Clicking on the link under that thread for the GSM ROM.

The current build is based on Lox and Behnaam's GSM 2.1 v1.5.

Which took him here:

http://htcpedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448

Then he flashed the radio in this post.

(Suggested radio 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26)

So yea he didn't read, just clicked, have fun with that.

And i suppose you didn't flash a recovery img after rooting? Well next time you will learn to read.

Last edited:

thedudejdog

Sep 22, 2008
Kansas City Mo
i've never heard of a bricked CDMA hero... but i guess flashing a GSM radio would do the trick

ok i searched and this may be the FIRST EVER bricked CDMA htc hero!

correct me if i'm wrong but i couldn't find anything on google about this.

maybe we should sticky this, or delete that link to the gsm rom so this doesn't happen again?

Last edited:

kel_o91

Jul 7, 2009
yeah i guess i did flash a gsm rom which definitely pwnd my phone ...i did everything possible. hard reset buttons. basically couldnt do anything with adb as the phone was completely shut off so no way to connect. Well all in all i learned my lesson. The techs at the sprint store couldnt do anything to fix the original phone so they said what the heck and provided me with a brand new google branded hero.

jjjjayd13

Nov 24, 2006
We all have done it!

yeah i guess i did flash a gsm rom which definitely pwnd my phone ...i did everything possible. hard reset buttons. basically couldnt do anything with adb as the phone was completely shut off so no way to connect. Well all in all i learned my lesson. The techs at the sprint store couldnt do anything to fix the original phone so they said what the heck and provided me with a brand new google branded hero.

Flash lesson 101, read-read-read!!!

Don't worry we 'ALL' have done it. And LEARNED from it.

Keep on going!!!:eek:

obelisk79

May 18, 2008
I'm glad to hear you got your phone replaced. I don't understand how you couldn't boot into any mode that would allow you to fix this. But I don't mess with radios whatsoever.

Semantics

Nov 30, 2009
So my theory is that this nOOb flashed the GSM radio. Here is what he did.

He seen the post on the Eclair 2.1v1.5 rom on our forums and got click happy. Clicking on the link under that thread for the GSM ROM.

Which took him here:

http://htcpedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448

Then he flashed the radio in this post.

So yea he didn't read, just clicked, have fun with that.

And i suppose you didn't flash a recovery img after rooting? Well next time you will learn to read.

Wow, way to show class. Nothing like a little compassion around the holiday season, I see. You are a true class act, and I bet your friends and family are very proud of the way carry yourself. Unfortunately, not everyone can be as perfect as you are, so try to take it easy on the rest of us.

obelisk79

May 18, 2008
Let it go guys... on all sides of the argument.

he made a simple enough mistake. It's been remedied. Lets all move on.

wasupwithuman

Apr 6, 2007
Flagstaff
www.leumas.net
How does a radio flash stop a phone from turning on?

Isn't the whole point of a recovery mode, to be able to "recover" if something goes wrong.

Shame on you whitewidows, for bashing him... The whole reason people get things working is because of trail and error.

If anything he helped us all by confirming that a wrong radio flash will completely ruin your recovery console, possibly bootloader, and (maybe even some actual hardware).

Hopefully this doesn't discourage users from trying to hack our radio.