[App/1.5+/Open-source/Root and Non-root] Permanent screen off for the Visual Impaired

Search This thread

nkahoang

Jan 23, 2011
Melbourne, Victoria
www.nkahnt.com
Open source app development project: Permanent screen off for the Visual Impaired

Short summary
This is an app development project that turns off the Android screen permanently yet keeps the touchscreen and other features active and functional for the visual impaired.

Introduction & Goals of the project
There are many Android users who are blinded. And to them, they access the app mainly using TalkBack or other Screen Reader app. That also means that the screen is basically useless to them. They don't need to look at the screen yet they need to be able to use touchscreen.

This project is to create an app that will turn the screen completely off (100% off) yet let the user use the phone as normal.

Assuming that the blind takes more time than normal user to perform an action, it dramatically saves the device's battery.

The app must be easy to use and tailored to visual impaired user.
The app automatically runs with the device.
The app must be free and advertisement-free.

Background
I am the developer of the project and I recruit the interest of other developers / users as well. I am the developer of Screen Standby app, which this project is based on.

Device requirements
- Running Android 1.5 (Cupcake) or above
- (Optionally) Rooted for best battery-saving. The app works with non-root device though, only rooted device achieves complete dark

Instruction
1) Download the apk and Install the app
2) Run the app at least once
3) Select Enable app from menu
4) If the system asks for Superuser access, select always remember and allow

5) To disable, select "Disable app" from the menu and restart the device.

Screenshot
0dd90a1e-e498-4eca-8811-81ce75b217bf_zpse3e6aac7.jpg

NOTE: Please read
1) Always use a screen reader (e.g TalkBack) with the app. In case you want to use your device without the screen
2) This app will permanently switch the device's screen off when it is active. To turns the screen back on, select "Disable app" or uninstall app completely and reboot
3) To uninstall from ADB, go to a shell and type: adb uninstall com.nkahoang.screenoffvisualimpair

Download
Currently the app can be downloaded from attachment section of this post. When it is stable enough, it will be ready to be released on Play Store for free download.
Source code can be downloaded in second post
If you know any Android user who is blinded, let them use the app and report. Any feedback is welcomed

Attachments

• screenoffvisualimpaired.apk
    171.3 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:

olokos

Recognized Developer
Oct 16, 2011
Warsaw
As the guy above me said. G great idea which actually will help some people. But I don't think that many actually blind people are going to find this app unfortunately... You have to put it on Google play and name it in such way that blind people will find it
:)

Sent from my R800i using xda premium

Reactions: imcol

phrequency86

Jun 2, 2010
San Antonio
Hello,

While putting it on the Play store is a good idea, there are a few blind folks on XDA like myself who would be happy to give this app some testing beforehand.

Thanks for posting to the eyes-free list, and thanks for developing this app!

mrk2815

May 16, 2012
burbank
correct this is also needs to be on the playstore as screen off or something easy that some of us can find more easily on the playstore . all of us blind people thank you for the app that hav found it but for those who cant can you please turn it into an APK installer or make it easy to install from playstore. as a lot of blind people don't know how to install zip files on android. if you can give me a quick tutorial I can explain to the eyes free list. I am a blind intermediate user of android. I do understand rooting, installing custom roms and gapps and installing apps for rooted devices but some of the rest on the eyes fre are a bit limited here so if you can give them an APK installable file it would be much easier to install rather then a zip package in which they have to figure out what to do with it.

Reactions: panmoto

nkahoang

Jan 23, 2011
Melbourne, Victoria
www.nkahnt.com
correct this is also needs to be on the playstore as screen off or something easy that some of us can find more easily on the playstore . all of us blind people thank you for the app that hav found it but for those who cant can you please turn it into an APK installer or make it easy to install from playstore. as a lot of blind people don't know how to install zip files on android. if you can give me a quick tutorial I can explain to the eyes free list. I am a blind intermediate user of android. I do understand rooting, installing custom roms and gapps and installing apps for rooted devices but some of the rest on the eyes fre are a bit limited here so if you can give them an APK installable file it would be much easier to install rather then a zip package in which they have to figure out what to do with it.

Hi,
I sure will put it on play store once it is stable. The app is currently in development.

The zip file is for the source code of the app. I attached the apk on the very first post:
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1926833&d=1367394050

Regards

YOSEFE

Sep 12, 2006
UK
Well done OP.

You are a hero for undertaking this venture. I wish you more success.

HwyXingFrog

Dec 11, 2008
I still might have a use for this in my Android devices that I'm using as Network Cameras using the IP Webcam app.

But I will have to test it out to see if it acts the way I need it to (I'm not at home yet, but I will try it.)

On Android 2.x I'm able to have a camera app run fine in the background or with the screen off, but on Android 4.0 and newer, the camera doesn't work completely if you turn off the screen or switch to a different app.

I'm wondering, will this app allow me to have the screen completely off (on a rooted device) but still have the camera use all the processor it needs for perfect Network Camera functionality?

Thanks.

nkahoang

Jan 23, 2011
Melbourne, Victoria
www.nkahnt.com
I still might have a use for this in my Android devices that I'm using as Network Cameras using the IP Webcam app.

But I will have to test it out to see if it acts the way I need it to (I'm not at home yet, but I will try it.)

On Android 2.x I'm able to have a camera app run fine in the background or with the screen off, but on Android 4.0 and newer, the camera doesn't work completely if you turn off the screen or switch to a different app.

I'm wondering, will this app allow me to have the screen completely off (on a rooted device) but still have the camera use all the processor it needs for perfect Network Camera functionality?

Thanks.

The camera will continue functioning normally. However, you may want to consider using my other app, Screen Standby # Root, also on XDA to achieve that. This app is tailored specifically to aid the blind in particular.

joeyman08

Aug 19, 2012
www.youtube.com
nkahoang i dont know if you got my email i sent a while back but i was looking for a app like this but be able to close my tablet and plug a keyboard and a mouse into my dock and hook it up to my tv and use my tv as a monitor screens cracked and touchscreen capability are all down the drain, would be great if you could add this feature to this app so i could finally find a use for my tablet again and as always keep up the good work.:good::fingers-crossed:

InsightGoalie

Dec 27, 2008
Rockford, IL
I have another use that I would like to ask for. Could you integrate Tasker support? I ride a motorcycle and have a bluetooth kit installed on my helmet. I leave my phone in my pocket or a glove box and therefore the screen is of no use to me. Yet if I ask Google Now to navigate somewhere, it opens navigation that keeps the screen on draining battery quickly. This really sucks as I don't have an outlet to plug into while riding. So, if I could setup a profile to activate this app while riding and disable it when I'm done, that could help me out a lot.

mrk2815

May 16, 2012
burbank
hello I was wondering I there has been further development on this app.
Lots of blind users are wondering about eh app development.
Since ther is no info a bit oncerning .
I know tha you develop the screen root stand by primarly but can you also devot e some development ot he app for he blind as well.
thanks for your development efforts

pvdeejay

Jan 5, 2010
Hello, Now I am using Shades app by the eyes free team at Google. That is an app published to the google play. However after reading the description in the first post I think this app might be capable of saving more of the battery juice. I have just installed it on my SGS2 running CM-10 however if this is already know I would like to ensure this is really more powerfull than the Shades app I was tallking about.

Thanks and greetings

Peter

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Open source app development project: Permanent screen off for the Visual Impaired

Short summary
    This is an app development project that turns off the Android screen permanently yet keeps the touchscreen and other features active and functional for the visual impaired.

Introduction & Goals of the project
    There are many Android users who are blinded. And to them, they access the app mainly using TalkBack or other Screen Reader app. That also means that the screen is basically useless to them. They don't need to look at the screen yet they need to be able to use touchscreen.

This project is to create an app that will turn the screen completely off (100% off) yet let the user use the phone as normal.

Assuming that the blind takes more time than normal user to perform an action, it dramatically saves the device's battery.

The app must be easy to use and tailored to visual impaired user.
    The app automatically runs with the device.
    The app must be free and advertisement-free.

Background
    I am the developer of the project and I recruit the interest of other developers / users as well. I am the developer of Screen Standby app, which this project is based on.

Device requirements
    - Running Android 1.5 (Cupcake) or above
    - (Optionally) Rooted for best battery-saving. The app works with non-root device though, only rooted device achieves complete dark

Instruction
    1) Download the apk and Install the app
    2) Run the app at least once
    3) Select Enable app from menu
    4) If the system asks for Superuser access, select always remember and allow

5) To disable, select "Disable app" from the menu and restart the device.

Screenshot
    0dd90a1e-e498-4eca-8811-81ce75b217bf_zpse3e6aac7.jpg

NOTE: Please read
    1) Always use a screen reader (e.g TalkBack) with the app. In case you want to use your device without the screen
    2) This app will permanently switch the device's screen off when it is active. To turns the screen back on, select "Disable app" or uninstall app completely and reboot
    3) To uninstall from ADB, go to a shell and type: adb uninstall com.nkahoang.screenoffvisualimpair

Download
    Currently the app can be downloaded from attachment section of this post. When it is stable enough, it will be ready to be released on Play Store for free download.
    Source code can be downloaded in second post
    If you know any Android user who is blinded, let them use the app and report. Any feedback is welcomed
    Source code of the app
    App's source code can be downloaded from here

Disclaimer: Source code can be used only for non-commercial projects
    As the guy above me said. G great idea which actually will help some people. But I don't think that many actually blind people are going to find this app unfortunately... You have to put it on Google play and name it in such way that blind people will find it
    :)

Sent from my R800i using xda premium