Anyone interested in a near-working Wildfire S "port"?

Search This thread

qzfive

Aug 8, 2010
I found a guide that mentions basic Sense porting to another Sense device. I tried this with this Wildfire S ROM for a few reasons:

--I prefer the "standard" HTC Sense as found on any other device (ie. Black status bar, black apps, etc.)
--I wanted to see how well it'd run
--I wanted to see if there'd be any problems with anything

After following the above guide, I notice only the following bugs:

--Camera is upside down
--Rosie keeps force closing because of forced landscape orientation so I have to use an alternate launcher
--Lockscreen is always in Portrait no matter what
--Keypad backlights don't turn on
--Facebook button doesn't work (duh)
--(New)GPS doesn't work - need to mess with GPS libs when I have more time
--(New)The FM Radio app's graphics are messed up

To try and fix the Rosie problem, I tried copying over the Rosie.apk and Rosie.odex from the Chacha's 2.3.5 OTA, but no dice, the system doesn't even see it.

Anyone have any tips on how I could fix any of the above? I'm no dev, and I only tried this for (basically) the fun of it to see how it'd turn out and my "experience", so to speak, only goes as far as swapping files here and there :( - I felt like the Development forum was the best place to post this. Apologies if it isn't.

Last edited:

Alex C.

Aug 17, 2011
I would like to apologize first, as it is 08:19 in the morning and I'm already drunk. lol.

Well, let's start with the easy bits:

1. --Keypad backlights don't turn on

Mainly the thing is that the Wildfire S ROM does not have support (or it is not activated) for a physical keyboard; therefore the need for backlight is redundant. To fix this you will either have to manually add the code lines or un-comment them. I suggest talking with adlx or xdbg since both of them have implemented this feature in the two custom ROMs.

2. --Facebook button doesn't work (duh)

As above, the ROM doesn't know (or doesn't want to know) about the physical keyboard. Same suggestions as above.

3. Landscape/portrait issues.

Well. The main problem here is the android system. By definition it detects the longest size on the display and sets it as the height. Therefore you'll have a tough time fixing the standard display to landscape. As above, I suggest speaking with the devs that worked on these roms and implement the ChaCha kernel files into the Wildfire ROM.

Aaaaaand that's about it I guess. I wish you good luck!

adlx.xda

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 4, 2010
Madrid
I found a guide that mentions basic Sense porting to another Sense device. I tried this with this Wildfire S ROM for a few reasons:

--I prefer the "standard" HTC Sense as found on any other device (ie. Black status bar, black apps, etc.)

--Camera is upside down
--Rosie keeps force closing because of forced landscape orientation so I have to use an alternate launcher

To try and fix the Rosie problem, I tried copying over the Rosie.apk and Rosie.odex from the Chacha's 2.3.5 OTA, but no dice, the system doesn't even see it.

Anyone have any tips on how I could fix any of the above? I'm no dev, and I only tried this for (basically) the fun of it to see how it'd turn out and my "experience", so to speak, only goes as far as swapping files here and there :( - I felt like the Development forum was the best place to post this. Apologies if it isn't.

Nice!

For the backlight, maybe you could try using system/lib/hw/lights.msm7k.so from the stock Chacha rom, or even from SuperOSR...

You cannot copy/paste an apk+odex file, it will probably never work. Try deodexing it first, then copy it.

I guess this is the right place to ask :)

qzfive

Aug 8, 2010
Nice!

For the backlight, maybe you could try using system/lib/hw/lights.msm7k.so from the stock Chacha rom, or even from SuperOSR...

You cannot copy/paste an apk+odex file, it will probably never work. Try deodexing it first, then copy it.

I guess this is the right place to ask :)

I copied lights.msm7k.so from SuperOSR, and the keyboard backlight works now.
I used an application on my laptop called xUltimate to deodex both this ROM and Chacha 1.54 stock, and the only things that wouldn't deodex are the Lockscreen and Rosie :/

Camera appears right-way round/up if a 3rd party camera app is used

Additional bugs I've noticed after trying it out a bit again:
--GPS doesn't work - I'll mess around with gps libs tomorrow when I have a bit more time
--The FM radio app's graphics are messed up

adlx.xda

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 4, 2010
Madrid
the right names for the files are:

/system/lib/hw/gps.chacha.so
/system/lib/hw/sensors.chacha.so

try using the one from SuperOSR.

ABR2704

Sep 6, 2011
Is this ROM going to be official released anytime soon because I am working on a ROM from another HTC device aswell and was wondering if you needed any assistance on final touches?

TechMayhem :)

Atomix86

Jul 5, 2011
This would interest me greatly, as I really love the "standard" sense and was quite disappointed with the amount of white/light colours used in the ChaCha's version, and how it just doesn't seem to fit in very well at all with the HTC family. Would it be possible to use the Desire Z's rosie? As that supports landscape natively.

qzfive

Aug 8, 2010
Is this ROM going to be official released anytime soon because I am working on a ROM from another HTC device aswell and was wondering if you needed any assistance on final touches?

TechMayhem :)

Tbh, I haven't done anything on this for a while because I started flashing CM7/SuperOSR.

From what I can remember, the following things wern't working:
-Lockscreen - Always in Portrait, won't rotate
-Rosie - Force-close loop, had to replace with an alternate launcher
-GPS - Icon doesn't appear in the status bar
-FM/Dailer/maybe others - Graphics messed up due to forced landscape resolution

That's all I managed to check before I got caught up in crackflashing XD
I am by no means a dev - all this was done by replacing files in a Wildfire S ROM with ones from SuperOSR/stock Chacha

This would interest me greatly, as I really love the "standard" sense and was quite disappointed with the amount of white/light colours used in the ChaCha's version, and how it just doesn't seem to fit in very well at all with the HTC family. Would it be possible to use the Desire Z's rosie? As that supports landscape natively.

Precisely why I tried this in the first place - I wasn't expecting all this white, which doesn't make the Chacha feel like an HTC as much to me :( - I already tried the Desire Z's Rosie - while it did work, all the icons were huge (because of it being scaled for HDPI screens). Dunno about widgets.

Once I find it amongst all the crap I have on my laptop, I could upload it if anyone might have an idea how to fix what's left and to see what else is broken?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

--Camera is upside down
    --(New)GPS doesn't work - need to mess with GPS libs when I have more time
    --(New)The FM Radio app's graphics are messed up