[BOOTLOADER] 2nd-Bootloader/Recovery unlock process for KFire 2 [TWRP 2.6.3.0]

Search This thread

chris_m128

Sep 22, 2011
ever since flashing the latest rom, charging for me has been really slow, i went from 31 percent to 60 in 4 hours, when the screen is off, the orange indicator light is on, but when the screen is on the indicator light is off, and under status in settings it doesnt say it's charging but the circle indicator in the right hand corner shows that its charging. could this be the result of a bad flash? only had the kindle for about a week, hate to tihnk i've damaged the charger plug

hillconnor13

Oct 6, 2012
chatham
I backed up using twrp and now have system.win and ect is that basically system.img can i restore using fastboot with these files or only twrp? Thanks for all the hard work btw

fmkilo

Oct 8, 2012
Cedar Rapids, IA,USA
I backed up using twrp and now have system.win and ect is that basically system.img can i restore using fastboot with these files or only twrp? Thanks for all the hard work btw

Those images are not fastbootable. They are only for twrp, if you have a backup of the twrp folder from your sdcard, and you for whatever reason need to start from stock again, push the twrp folder back to the sdcard, then while in twrp, restore that backup.

Just use the restore utility if you have problems your find it on the first post.

Actually, now that he has recovery images, he doesn't need kf2-srt.

Reactions: hillconnor13

hillconnor13

Oct 6, 2012
chatham
Those images are not fastbootable. They are only for twrp, if you have a backup of the twrp folder from your sdcard, and you for whatever reason need to start from stock again, push the twrp folder back to the sdcard, then while in twrp, restore that backup.

Actually, now that he has recovery images, he doesn't need kf2-srt.

so basically you guys are saying if I forget to flash a kernel or something like that and I get stuck in boot loop I can just use twrp? and I have ordered my fastboot cable just in case and thanks for the fast replys means a lot :)

fmkilo

Oct 8, 2012
Cedar Rapids, IA,USA
so basically you guys are saying if I forget to flash a kernel or something like that and I get stuck in boot loop I can just use twrp? and I have ordered my fastboot cable just in case and thanks for the fast replys means a lot :)

That's exactly what I mean. if you get stuck at the orange kf logo before the blue one, you will need a fbcable, Fastboot is currently included in second boot (the blue logo) If you need, you can use fastboot in the second boot with a normal cable.

hillconnor13

Oct 6, 2012
chatham
That's exactly what I mean. if you get stuck at the orange kf logo before the blue one, you will need a fbcable, Fastboot is currently included in second boot (the blue logo) If you need, you can use fastboot in the second boot with a normal cable.

How would you achieve fb in the blue logo it just comes up booting dissapprears or you have to select reset boot recovering or reboot?

mindmajick

Account currently disabled
Re: [ROM/KERNEL] UNOFFICIAL CM10.1 + 3.0.50 Kernel for Kindle Fire 2 [01/29 CODECS]

Just out of curiosity.. What will it take for this to be made official and nightlies to occur?

Not trying to be demanding.. In fact- if there is ANYTHING I can do to help, please let me know.

--
Sent from my Kindle Fire 2, CM 10.1

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Re: [ROM/KERNEL] UNOFFICIAL CM10.1 + 3.0.50 Kernel for Kindle Fire 2 [01/29 CODECS]

Both 1st and 2nd gen Kindle Fires were submitted to CyanigenMod review 2 days ago.

I'll check in with them today to see where we're at.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

mindmajick

Both 1st and 2nd gen Kindle Fires were submitted to CyanigenMod review 2 days ago.

I'll check in with them today to see where we're at.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Yay! Much man love! :D

You really have done so much for us here. If there is ANYTHING i can ever do to help your cause in any way don't ever hesitate to ask. I know how much work it has been to get us up and running and appreciate it more than you know.

--

vinhntna608

Jan 6, 2013
How can I back to stock rom from TWRP? I'm currently at CM10.1 but the battery life is disappointed. I have no Stock rom backup.

mindmajick

Need to find some one willing to share there back up with you

Wrong answer. Those annoy me even more than answering questions that have been answered over and over.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888

Edit: i was wrong. Leaving this here as an example of how NOT to act on XDA. The irony.. :banghead:

--

Last edited:

mindmajick

Actually that was the perfect answer... he asked for within twrp not a different tool

Lmao. I apologize for my previous statement.

1. Because i was wrong
2. Because i was a douche about it.

I really am sorry though.. I was in a pissy mood earlier and should know better.

Thanks fmkilo for correcting me.

--

Reactions: fattire

hillconnor13

Oct 6, 2012
chatham
Lmao. I apologize for my previous statement.

1. Because i was wrong
2. Because i was a douche about it.

I really am sorry though.. I was in a pissy mood earlier and should know better.

Thanks fmkilo for correcting me.

--
Do you have a fastboot flashable back up of your kf2 before you flashed the twrp recovery if so could you share with me because I wanna get rid of the software and back to stock I made a update but didnt wipe twrp

mindmajick

Do you have a fastboot flashable back up of your kf2 before you flashed the twrp recovery if so could you share with me because I wanna get rid of the software and back to stock I made a update but didnt wipe twrp

There are two different ways i can suggest:
1. Try this tool- it will download the system images and do all the heavy lifting for you-

2. Or, you can do what i did.. I got the dropbox download location from the runme.bat file and downloaded the files, then ran the fastboot commands manually.. Just look in the batch file for "option1".

I've been back and forth a couple times now just playing with things. I've become foolishly confident with my fast boot cable on hand. I still can't seem to make a cwm flashable zip for stock though.. Just not sure what I'm doing wrong. If i ever figure it out i promise to share :D

--

Last edited:

hillconnor13

Oct 6, 2012
chatham
1. Try this tool- it will download the system images and do all the heavy lifting for you-

2. Or, you can do what i did.. I got the dropbox download location from the runme.bat file and downloaded the files, then ran the fastboot commands manually.. Just look in the batch file for "option1".

I've been back and forth a couple times now just playing with things. I've become foolishly confident with my fast boot cable on hand. I still can't seem to make a cwm flashable zip for stock though.. Just not sure what I'm doing wrong. If i ever figure it out i promise to share :D

--

Thank you always a great help and very generous just keep repacking till it works its normally a packing fault (y)

hillconnor13

Oct 6, 2012
chatham

--

everything went smoothly I did it your way it seemed to be the easiest much more simple had a little panic attack after it the red triangle came up but that just told me to wipe it rebooted and perfect thanks again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introducing: Kindle Fire 2nd-bootloader + TWRP 2.6.3.0 for the Kindle Fire 2nd GEN

*** USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! WHILE I TRY MY BEST TO PROVIDE WORKING KERNELS/ROMS, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THIS SOFTWARE OR ANYTHING I'VE WORKED ON SUDDENLY FRIES YOUR DEVICE. ***

*** READ CAREFULLY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ***
    *** Kindle Fire 1st-gen ROMs/KERNELS are *NOT* compatible with the Kindle Fire 2. Please only flash ROMs/KERNELS that are made for the Kindle Fire 2. ***

** IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, RE-READ THROUGH THE THREAD FOR ANSWERS. WHEN YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY SURE NO ONE HAS ASKED YOUR QUESTION, GO AHEAD AND RE-READ THE THREAD AGAIN AND USE THE SEARCH FEATURE. THEN POST YOUR QUESTION IF YOU STILL CAN'T FIND THE ANSWER **

** WHEN MOVING FROM AMAZON OS TO CM10.1 IN TWRP: "WIPE" -> "SYSTEM" AND "FACTORY RESET" TO CLEAR SYSTEM/DATA/CACHE. YOUR APPS FROM AMAZON ICS AREN'T COMPATIBLE. IF NOT YOU'LL LOOP ON THE CM10.1 BOOT ANIMATION **

[03/27] NEW support thread for OFFICIAL CM on the Otter2 (Kindle Fire 2):
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2209995

** YOU SHOULD HAVE A WORKING FASTBOOT CABLE + FASTBOOT DRIVERS/ACCESS ON YOUR PC. **

Q: How do I know if my fastboot works?
    A: Plug the cable into your device and then the computer. Reboot the Kindle. It *SHOULD* show a Fastboot screen. Once at the screen use this command on your computer:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 devices
    You should see something like this:
    0123456789ABCDEF

Here's 1 website you can purchase a FASTBOOT adapter from (works with your normal USB cable)
    http://shop.teamblackhat.info/Factory-Adapters-motadapt.htm
    ** I don't make any commission or fee from the sales of these devices, I just know they have them on stock most of the time and ship in a reasonable time frame unlike the Chinese variants found on ebay.

If you do NOT see this, then make sure you have the SDK installed correctly and you have the right setup for fastboot on your PC before proceeding.

*** BE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD CHARGE ON THE DEVICE ***

INITIAL SETUP INSTRUCTIONS (1st TIME ONLY) FOR 2ND-BOOTLOADER + TeamWinRecoveryProject INSTALL:

STEP 1. Backup your stock partitions to your own HD for later if you need disaster recovery:
    Code:
    adb pull /dev/block/mmcblk0boot0
    adb pull /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/boot
    adb pull /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/recovery
    adb pull /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system # This will take a few minutes
    Take those files and put them somewhere safe.

STEP 2: Download the files you will need to install 2nd-bootloader, TWRP and CM10.1:
    1. Stack override file:
      http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter2/stack
    2. [12/09] otter2-freedom-boot-10.4.6.img (USED ONLY THE FIRST TIME -- .zip files will have their own boot.img's from now on):
      http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter2/otter2-freedom-boot-10.4.6.img
      md5sum: 80f9b9ba80910de361463560f86f315a
    3. [09/03] TeamWin Recovery 2.6.3.0:
      http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter2/otter2-twrp-2.6.3.0-recovery.img
      md5sum: a66a8cbab92fd5daaa85f6303e9cc0c3
    4. older 10.2.4 bootloader file and flash to your device via fastboot:
      http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter2/otter2-u-boot-prod-10.2.4.bin
      md5sum 5b03a7b428325de8d360ec201a745498
      (You SHOULD check the MD5SUM before using fastboot -- downloads CAN be corrupted)
    5. CM-10.1/CM-10.2 for the Kindle Fire 2 (choose the latest version from):
      http://www.get.cm/?device=otter2
    6. Google Apps from: http://goo.im/gapps (choose the version: CM10.1 or CM10.2)
    Place the ROM and the gapps .zip on your device in the /sdcard area

STEP 3. Install the stack override in /system:
    ADB commands entered while booted up into STOCK *rooted* Amazon Kindle OS -- May need to enable ADB debugging in Settings:
    [2013-08-21] edited the location where stack is placed on device due to permissions changes
    Code:
    adb push stack /sdcard/
    adb shell su -c "dd if=/sdcard/stack of=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system bs=6519488 seek=1"

[ Connect fastboot cable, and reboot the device so that "Fastboot" is showing ]

STEP 4.
    Flash the OLD bootloader, new otter2-freedom-boot.img and TWRP recovery.[/B]
    *DONT RE-FLASH FREEDOM-BOOT.IMG LATER AFTER FLASHING CM10.1 -- IT'S FOR STOCK AMAZON OS ONLY / FIRST INSTALL ONLY*
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader otter2-u-boot-prod-10.2.4.bin
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot otter2-freedom-boot-10.4.6.img
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery otter2-twrp-2.6.3.0-recovery.img
    fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot

** If everything was done correctly you will at this point see the bootmenu with a BLUE logo during the reboot. **

TO ENTER RECOVERY:
    During the blue logo screen press the power button to cycle through options and select "Recovery" to enter TWRP.

Once in TWRP you can Install" the CM-10.1/CM-10.2 by selecting "Install" and then browsing the device and selecting it, then "Add Zip" and select the Gapps .zip as well.

Use the slider to start the install.

FLASHING BACK TO STOCK:
    ** FIND THE FILES WE BACKED UP IN STEP #1 OR DOWNLOAD NEW ONES FROM THE RECOVERY THREAD HERE: **
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2035047

Once you have these files (we'll name them boot.img/recovery.img and system.img for the purpose of these instructions, but they could be different on your system).

Plug in your fastboot cable and reboot so that you see the fastboot screen and enter the following commands:
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot [B]boot.img[/B]
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery [B]recovery.img[/B]
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash system [B]system.img[/B] # This one will take a few minutes
    fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot

Enjoy

THANKS TO:
    • fattire for finding the original bootloader exploit
    • TESTERS: powerpoint45 and FMKilo
    Changelog: updated 2013-07-08

freedom boot.img (for use w/ stock Amazon OS + 2nd-bootloader):
    • [07/08] Updated w/ kernel from 10.4.3 release

TeamWin Recovery (TWRP) 2.6.0.0
    • [07/08] USB Vendor ID / Product ID in recovery now matches stock Amazon OS
    • [07/08] Based on 10.4.3 stock kernel
    • [07/08] Fixed recovery bootloop issue
    • [07/08] TWRP 2.6.0.0 update
    one more reserved space
    Yes I do. Check md5 as I'm not sure that when you download them they'lll be complete!

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/5oda4fual3ht3/KF2_Boot_and_Recovery

:)

Bump just so everyone knows these files are here
    does anyone have a mirror of the files?

Yes I do. Check md5 as I'm not sure that when you download them they'lll be complete!

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/5oda4fual3ht3/KF2_Boot_and_Recovery

:)