[Q] Any forklift drivers experiencing this problem too?

Search This thread

flomexico

Aug 15, 2010
Hi all, I'm a forklift operator and I have a problem when I'm on my lift. I set my phone down on the tray, which is directly above the battery by about 10 inches, and the screen will randomly turn on by itself. If I'm off the lift, I don't have this problem. I'm no electrical engineer by any means, but is it possible that 2 ton, 1875 amp-hour battery is giving off enough of a magnetic field to trip a sensor somewhere in the phone? There's plenty of wires and metal, but it's really the only thing I can think of. My old EVO 3D did this too sometimes, but I chalked it up to being a bad ground somewhere along the line.

Anybody else share this issue on their lifts or similar machinery?

Alex240188

May 4, 2010
Hull
The nexus 5 does have the smart cover sensor so that is likely the behavior you are describing but I wouldn't have expected a fork lift to be giving off that strong of a magnetic field to interfere with it

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Alex240188

May 4, 2010
Hull
The smart cover sensor is magnetic. It shouldn't have anything to do with the proximity sensor.
It's just weird why it's triggering your phone.
Your forklift could use some form of magnetic resistance for lowering which would might explain the triggering

Reactions: flomexico

flomexico

Aug 15, 2010
Appreciate the replies. I tested the magnetometer with STools and it does seem like there's a magnetic field towards the front of the lift. At least, the lines moved a lot more. So when you say magnetic resistance, makes sense. One more question, does anybody have any ideas of how to potentially block it? I plug into a speaker while I'm working so that's why my phone sits there. The brass gets real uppity about earbuds.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

WarRaven

May 13, 2007
You'd need a Faraday cage or the like, then you'd essentially have no cell at all.
Grab a BT speaker perhaps, some crank out near 100 watts an can be heard easily in a small cab wirelessly.
Or a longer patch cord.

WR

Sent from my Nexus 5

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Magnetic hydraulic servos on some forklift, very strong localized magnetic fields in places.

WR

Sent from my Nexus 5
    The smart cover sensor is magnetic. It shouldn't have anything to do with the proximity sensor.
    It's just weird why it's triggering your phone.
    Your forklift could use some form of magnetic resistance for lowering which would might explain the triggering

I've seen all sorts of proximity to random items trigger the hall effect sensor using magnetism. It's fairly common.