Changing firmware from TELUS to Google Play store image?

Search This thread

froek

Jun 5, 2014
Hi everyone,

I have a Nexus 5 that was purchased from TELUS (in a rush since I couldn't wait for a google play store version to make it here). Is there any way for me to flash or change my phone to get it's updates from google directly, and thus removing TELUS from the equation? EG my update to 4.4.3 was way behind google's push, and since it is a Nexus 5 there's no customizations that I can think of that TELUS would actually do to this phone.

I'd really like to have this device as if it came from the play store.

Thanks!

RootTheMachine

Oct 4, 2011
There is no such thing as carrier branded software on a nexus (with exception of Verizon on the Gnex... but different story).
Updates aren't always going to be on time; you just have to wait.

froek

Jun 5, 2014
There is no such thing as carrier branded software on a nexus (with exception of Verizon on the Gnex... but different story).
Updates aren't always going to be on time; you just have to wait.

So to state the obvious then, my phone doesn't communicate with TELUS update servers, it's straight to google? Is there a way I can check this in developer options or anything?

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
So to state the obvious then, my phone doesn't communicate with TELUS update servers, it's straight to google? Is there a way I can check this in developer options or anything?

every single current nexus gets its update from google(or gets updated manually). updates are promised to go to everyone within a 3 week period. if you somehow changed any system files, you wont get an ota. just update your phone manually, its easy and faster.

froek

Jun 5, 2014
every single current nexus gets its update from google(or gets updated manually). updates are promised to go to everyone within a 3 week period. if you somehow changed any system files, you wont get an ota. just update your phone manually, its easy and faster.

Where's the best place to locate all OTA files? Is there a place to browse to select, or is it always like in this post where they mention the link only:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53135171