[Q] unroot Hero without usb

Search This thread

mae`

Apr 2, 2011
Hello Everyone

I know, there are many How-To's and ways to achieve what I want. unfortunately non of those I tried have worked.
My goal. I want to unroot my Hero, to send it back to RMA, because the usb controller is not working. And this is the second biggest Problem atm.

All the How-To's to unroot the device an install the original RUU or at least most of them include the use of the USB function. (creating a gold card 4 example or flashing a different bootloader)

To the USB Controller. It is hopeless. I tried everything. I even set up a Linux VM but where ever I plug it in, the system won't recognise my hero. They don't even recognise something.
Lucky me, the Hero is still able to charge the battery.

Ok lets give some details on the actual situation.
I'm able to boot to HBOOT/Fastboot (volume down)
I'm able to boot to Clockwork Mod Recovery 2.5.0.7 (home)
Right now, it's restoring the system to FroydVillain 1.7.1, because i formated the boot partition (After 5 hours, I was tired and did one big mistake)
> The restore worked. I have my old System again.

What I tried to do

1. I downloaded the actual RUU, ran it, got the rom.zip out of it.
2. Booted into Clockwork Mod and tried to install from zip, where i got [Error Message 1]
3. Renamed the rom to update.zip and tried to install toe "normal" way. Also got the same [Error Message 1]
4. Renamed the rom into HEROIMG.zip, ran HBOOT which checks the zip and led me to [Error Message 2]

Error Message 1
Code:
-- Installing: SDCARD:rom.zip
Finding update package ...
Opeing update package...
E:Can't open /sdcard/rom.zip (bad)
Installation aborted

Error Message 2
Code:
SD Checking...
Loading...[HERODIAG.zip]
No image!
Loading...[HERODIA3.nbh]
No image or wrong image!
Loading...[HERODIA2.nbh]
No image or wrong image!
Loading...[HERODIAG.nbh]
No image or wrong image!
Loading...[HEROIMG.zip]     // takes about 3 minutes...
Checking HEROIMG.zip        // takes about 1 minute...
Main Verion is older!
Update Fail!

I downloaded the actual Hero RUU three times from the website, in case something went wrong while dl.
I got an older RUU from a xda thread and tried it with tis one.

I am not able to create a goldcard, because you have to connect the phone via usb to a computer.

Well :) Any help is much appreciated.

Regards
mae`

mattnmd

Jun 1, 2010
Roeselare
Hey,

really sh*tty that usb ain't working..

having trouble from time to time myself, got a suggestion for ya though ;)

1) find yourself a rom that is very close to a stock rom (suggesting stock WWE,
as can be found on this forum, mr bang, stock wwe rooted)

http://www.romraid.com/paul/hero/upd...5.5-signed.zip (maybe an option)

2) make sure it doesn't have a customized kernel (or flash the stock one :D)
3) make sure it doesn't have apps2sd
4) use universal androot => UNROOT
5) delete busybox from your phone

guess this should get as close as it can be to a stock sense rom ;)
(meaning unrooted and minor customizations ;)

grtz, m@ttn :cool:

Last edited:

mae`

Apr 2, 2011
Hey mattnmd

Thank you for the hints!
Actually I could not download the ROM because the link seems "wrong" but it pointed me in the right direction.

I found e repacked Stock ROM (1.5) which I was able to flash.
So... My base system is ok for the moment. BUT my recovery is not :)
There is still clockworkmod recovery installed and it won't let me install updates.

Now in the next step I need a way to flash a different recovery (the original) without the use of USB.

androot does work. btw =)

Thanks a lot

dusturn

Dec 9, 2009
Put the Hero like stock without USB

Is there a solution for this already?!! I've exactly the same problem - USB doesn't works, not even for charge! And I need to make it stock-alike in order to send it to warranty. I managed to install the stock ROM but still, there's the AmonRa Bootloader installed... I created a goldcard without USB using this: w ww.mikesouthby.co.uk/2010/08/htc-desire-creating-goldcard-using-mac-or-linux/

but, when I try to apply the HEROIMG.zip trough Hboot, it says "Main version is older" :(

What am I missing?! Is the installed radio too recent for the stock image I'm trying to install?!

mae`

Apr 2, 2011
I have no solution jet. But I'll write as soon as I see a way.

dusturn

Dec 9, 2009
Worked for me!!!

Well, I found a way to solve my problem! I needed to put my GSM Hero as stock as possible (without root/custom ROMS/AmonRa/etc) without USB... The only solution, as far as I've read is to flash using a GoldCard the zip file from the RUU *.exe from HTC. I manage to create the GoldenCard without USB but when I tried to flash, it would say "Main Version is Older" after checking the HEROIMG.zip . It finally worked when I used this particular RUU version: RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.38_WWE_release_signed_No Driver.exe from XDA thread #559622. Give it a try ;)

Reactions: mae`

mae`

Apr 2, 2011
Finally done

Hey dusturn

You are my (HTC) Hero :)
I just made the goldcard, and installed the new/old image (2.73.405.38) The Device got the old cupcake 1.5 on it and I was not able to get into recovery anymore!

It finally seems to be ok! Thank you very much!

steryd_net

Oct 31, 2012
Well, I found a way to solve my problem! I needed to put my GSM Hero as stock as possible (without root/custom ROMS/AmonRa/etc) without USB... The only solution, as far as I've read is to flash using a GoldCard the zip file from the RUU *.exe from HTC. I manage to create the GoldenCard without USB but when I tried to flash, it would say "Main Version is Older" after checking the HEROIMG.zip . It finally worked when I used this particular RUU version: RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.38_WWE_release_signed_No Driver.exe from XDA thread #559622. Give it a try ;)

How did you make goldcard without USB? I have the same problem but cannot find a solution.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Worked for me!!!