Samsung Galaxy Victory Working Root!

Search This thread

niemasd

Sep 29, 2010
I successfully rooted my Galaxy Victory 4G LTE, heavily using an existing Samsung Galaxy SIII root method. I have attached the files below (including a batch file).

I personally didn't use this batch file: I just put together all of the commands I typed into the command prompt, so I'm ASSUMING it SHOULD work? But if you're scared and want to perfectly replicate what I did, just manually type in the commands (you can edit the .bat file in notepad and it'll show you them all).

STEP 1) Install Samsung USB Drivers
hxxp://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/SW/201211/20121110030255344/Samsung_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1.5.14.0.exe

STEP 2) After it finishes installing, run the batch file (RootDebugfs.bat), follow the instructions, and plug your phone in when it says "Waiting for device to be detected..."

STEP 3) Enjoy the root!

I went into the Superuser app just to make sure everything looked ok, and it did on mine. Then, I tested with Titanium Backup, and I was successfully able to uninstall Google Wallet (which you normally can't).

At some points, my laptop wouldn't detect the phone if it was doing stuff and then needed to reboot or something, so I would just unplug the phone, wait like 5 seconds, and replug it.

I would have posted this in the development section, but I didn't have the rights to (haven't posted 10 posts), so if an admin could move it, I'd greatly appreciate it.

darkr00t

Nov 27, 2012
Works beautifully! Thanks a lot. Just followed your directions and used the batch file. Now I can finally take screenshots!

Windows kept saying it wasn't able to install the device drivers each time the phone rebooted, but that didn't seem to affect anything.

Thatguy4life

Aug 9, 2012
Ok I'm more than a little stump here. I'm use to rooting w/ a tar file via odin. Instructions here are not really clear. I found a tar file in the zip file, do I flashed that in Odin or do I just flash the zip file in the stock recovery???

interloper

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 17, 2008
El Paso
CWM recovery

Here it is: CWM for the Galaxy Victory. Use Odin carefully. If you need further instructions use the search feature please. Thanks to JT for testing and having the gnads to be a tester in general!

Odin!
www.waywardpilgrim.net/android/samsung/sph-l300/cwm/cwm-victory.tar

Heimdall!
www.waywardpilgrim.net/android/samsung/sph-l300/cwm/recovery.img

(This device does not support fastboot)

Here's the stock recovery if you need it for any reason:

Odin!
WHU!?!?! (I'll make it later)

Heimdall!
www.waywardpilgrim.net/android/samsung/sph-l300/stockimages/recovery.img

This awesome day has been brought to you by the devs at OUDHS!

Reactions: zaq123 and blu422

AeroCare

Jun 14, 2010
I successfully rooted my Galaxy Victory 4G LTE, heavily using an existing Samsung Galaxy SIII root method. I have attached the files below (including a batch file).

I personally didn't use this batch file: I just put together all of the commands I typed into the command prompt, so I'm ASSUMING it SHOULD work? But if you're scared and want to perfectly replicate what I did, just manually type in the commands (you can edit the .bat file in notepad and it'll show you them all).

hxxp://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/SW/201211/20121110030255344/Samsung_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1.5.14.0.exe

STEP 2) After it finishes installing, run the batch file (RootDebugfs.bat), follow the instructions, and plug your phone in when it says "Waiting for device to be detected..."

STEP 3) Enjoy the root!

I went into the Superuser app just to make sure everything looked ok, and it did on mine. Then, I tested with Titanium Backup, and I was successfully able to uninstall Google Wallet (which you normally can't).

At some points, my laptop wouldn't detect the phone if it was doing stuff and then needed to reboot or something, so I would just unplug the phone, wait like 5 seconds, and replug it.

I would have posted this in the development section, but I didn't have the rights to (haven't posted 10 posts), so if an admin could move it, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I installed the drivers then ran the batch but it never said ""Waiting for device to be detected..."

I just kept hitting Y or enter until it asked "UID and GID should both be 0. Are they?

I replied y the first time and it just kept asking for me to press a key to continue. I ran it again and it sent me to the end telling me it wasn't rooted.

I'm going to try this on a straight PC because I'm doing it on a Mac using Parallels and Windows 7 and that might be the issue.

AeroCare

Jun 14, 2010
Yep, just as I suspected. I couldn't use a Mac with Windows 7 running inside of Parallels. I had to use my girlfriend's PC and after suspending the antivirus program I installed the drivers then ran the batch and it worked as advertised beautifully, My father (81 years old) and I thank you !!

He rarely uses the tether and it's costing him a bundle every month. When I showed him I could use free tethering on my iPhone he wanted me to get his Android to do it.

Does anyone recommend a good working wifi tethering app? I'll buy it but I want to make sure the carrier can't track it.

Last edited:

niemasd

Sep 29, 2010
Yep, just as I suspected. I couldn't use a Mac with Windows 7 running inside of Parallels. I had to use my girlfriend's PC and after suspending the antivirus program I installed the drivers then ran the batch and it worked as advertised beautifully, My father (81 years old) and I thank you !!

He rarely uses the tether and it's costing him a bundle every month. When I showed him I could use free tethering on my iPhone he wanted me to get his Android to do it.

Does anyone recommend a good working wifi tethering app? I'll buy it but I want to make sure the carrier can't track it.

Google "Wireless Tether," it's by far the best tethering app I've seen (need root of course, but that's no issue anymore!). I'm not sure if it works with this phone, but go ahead and give it a shot!

AeroCare

Jun 14, 2010
Google "Wireless Tether," it's by far the best tethering app I've seen (need root of course, but that's no issue anymore!). I'm not sure if it works with this phone, but go ahead and give it a shot!

Thanks. I did a search for "wireless tether" but it doesn't show up in the Play Store. I installed "easy tether" and even though it's not wireless it's very fast and always works. Very simple to use too. I'll keep looking for a wireless tether that doesn't let Sprint know he's using it.

Last edited:

niemasd

Sep 29, 2010
Thanks. I did a search for "wireless tether" but it doesn't show up in the Play Store. I installed "easy tether" and even though it's not wireless it's very fast and always works. Very simple to use too. I'll keep looking for a wireless tether that doesn't let Sprint know he's using it.

no, don't look on the Play Store, but on google! lemme see if i can find it

there we go! :

hxxp://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

AeroCare

Jun 14, 2010
no, don't look on the Play Store, but on google! lemme see if i can find it

there we go! :

hxxp://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

Great thanks! I installed it but even though it says it's compatible with my phone it just hangs there when I activate it. It says tethering and changes color but it never shows on my iPad or laptop for me to connect to it. I'll try to play around with it to see if it's some settings issue in the app.

xban4901

Dec 9, 2012
Columbia
Samsung Galaxy Victory 4g for sale ROOTED with this method

I have a rooted victory that I'm currently selling on ebay, i used this root method and confirmed root. Thanks for the support

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

I have a rooted victory that I'm currently selling on ebay, i used this root method and confirmed root. Thanks for the support
I was also able to flash the test build of CWM 6.0+ and everything seems to be working ok, su just needs to be re-installed from play store, because it was deleted during reset. But i tested and root is still their

xban4901

Dec 9, 2012
Columbia
Samsung Galaxy Victory 4g LTE for sale

I'm selling a rooted Galaxy Victory on ebay for $250, i have the only rooted victory on ebay, thanks to the devs on xda. This device is rooted and equipped with cwm recovery, really looking forward to getting rid of this device and get a more top of the line phone

DrgnRebrn

Jul 22, 2012
Salt Lake City
Does this method work on any build version of the Victory? I'm looking to get my Mom an Android with LTE capability, that can be rooted, but doesn't cost an arm & leg. I'm glad I found this thread, but would like to confirm the above. Thank you.

komputertua

Oct 19, 2009
Xiaomi Mi Max 3
How to Root

How did you update it to JB? Last I saw 4.04 was the latest.

I've purchase victory 4G several days ago and it has been updated to Jelly Bean 4.1.1
Is this method still relevant to this update? Anyone?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-01-01-01-29-34.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-01-01-01-29-34.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 326

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

STEP 3) Enjoy the root!

CWM recovery

Here it is: CWM for the Galaxy Victory. Use Odin carefully. If you need further instructions use the search feature please. Thanks to JT for testing and having the gnads to be a tester in general!

Odin!
    www.waywardpilgrim.net/android/samsung/sph-l300/cwm/cwm-victory.tar

Heimdall!
    www.waywardpilgrim.net/android/samsung/sph-l300/cwm/recovery.img

(This device does not support fastboot)

Here's the stock recovery if you need it for any reason:

Odin!
    WHU!?!?! (I'll make it later)

Heimdall!
    www.waywardpilgrim.net/android/samsung/sph-l300/stockimages/recovery.img

This awesome day has been brought to you by the devs at OUDHS!
    Keep it Simple

Either recovery I have ported, CWM or TWRP has the ablity to root the device from recovery. There is a CWM .tar that can be flashed in bootloader mode using ODIN. Once you have CWM, flash SUperSU and Busybox from my host. I even have ODIN on the host.

www.waywardpilgrim.net/android/

1. Install Odin and Samsung Drivers (Available in the Tools directory)
    2. Get the TWRP .tar from my host (Available in the device directory)
    3. Flash SUperSu and Busybox (Available in the Tools directory)

Once you flash TWRP and the device begins to reboot, pull the battery. Replace the battery and boot into recovery by pressing volume-up and holding power. This will ensure the recovery is not overwritten by an Android failsafe. More instructions are available in the forum.
    I can confirm this method works perfectly. Good job niemasd! Here is a real link to the files you suggested:

www.waywardpilgrim.net/android/tools/Samsung_drivers.zip

www.waywardpilgrim.net/android/tools/Galaxy_Victory_Root__niemasd_.zip

Three cheers for niemasd! HIP HIP HOORAY! HIP HIP HOORAY! HIP HIP HOORAY!!!!
    Strange

Completely stock
    Ran root.bat successfully.
    Odin CWM successfully.
    Tried to flash update failed.
    Restored to stock recovery successfully.
    Flashed update successfully.
    Tried root batch failed.
    Wiped all data and Odin back to stock files successfully.
    Tried root batch failed.
    Tried update via stock recovery failed.
    Odin CWM successfully.
    Tried to flash update failed.
    Wiped and Odin back to all stock files.
    There is no longer a "Check System for Updates" option in settings anymore.

Any way to get back to 100% stock?
    or
    Any way to force update.zip?

I'd prefer to have the update more than rooted but I can't get to either now.