Black screen of death: Android 4.3 + Netflix

Search This thread

Luxferro

Nov 19, 2009
Long Island, NY
Stock Google Android 4.3( JWR66V) and running the Netflix app at all will put your phone into a sleep of death (black screen, frozen phone). You don't even need to play a movie in Netflix, just launch the app once since rebooting the phone and it will happen. Netflix is aware of the issue, as can be seen here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=43950299#post43950299

edit: I don't have this issue with AOSP 4.3 roms. So it may already be fixed.

According to this thread there are many differences, especially for the kernel between JSS15J and JWR66V. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2382880

Last edited:
Reactions: dzotx

maestro1991

Aug 3, 2010
I keep getting a black screen of death after launching netflix (july 22nd, version 2.4.0 build 939) on Android 4.3 and letting the screen sleep. It's happened about 5x now to me. I didn't play a movie. Just displayed the page with the movie tiles and let phone site. Another time I exited netflix but it still happened after the screen went to sleep.

Can anyone who has the official 4.3 on their Nexus 4 and is a Netflix user check this out for me? I'd like to know if I'm a one-off case before I do a complete wipe and start fresh.

Same thing here. I've uninstalled the Netflix; no more hangups on Nexus 4.

Everything works fine on nexus 7

otariq

Feb 17, 2012
Just happened to me too. Had to press power and volume down to do anything, phone was completely unresponsive

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

DirgeExtinction

Sep 24, 2010
Works fine for me...
6u2epeby.jpg

ejeby7at.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Luxferro

Nov 19, 2009
Long Island, NY
K, thanks guys. I gave it one star in the play store with a description how to reproduce the bug. If enough people do it maybe they'll fix it soon.

elmonen

Aug 9, 2010
Finland
Just had black screen of dearh after exiting netflix.. Hope they fix it soon..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

dzotx

Apr 3, 2008
Yup... same thing.

I had it happened twice... once yesterday and again earlier today (I was checking for chromecast functionality).
I didn't know what caused it until I saw this thread.
I have just confirmed that this is also true with my phone.

zephiK

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 23, 2009
New York, NY
K, thanks guys. I gave it one star in the play store with a description how to reproduce the bug. If enough people do it maybe they'll fix it soon.

Giving a app a one star rating doesn't get Netflix to fix your issue right away, dude. Just send them a email on how to reproduce instead of giving them one star.

Its what 'we' get for getting first dibs on Android 4.3 when <5% of the Android population isn't even on 4.3. Were the guinea pigs, plus 4.3 just came out yesterday. Its still very relatively new.

Luxferro

Nov 19, 2009
Long Island, NY
Giving a app a one star rating doesn't get Netflix to fix your issue right away, dude. Just send them a email on how to reproduce instead of giving them one star.

Its what 'we' get for getting first dibs on Android 4.3 when <5% of the Android population isn't even on 4.3. Were the guinea pigs, plus 4.3 just came out yesterday. Its still very relatively new.

I'd have sent an email if I knew who to contact that would actually read it. The one star might get some attention if a number of people do it with the same complaint. At least that was my logic.

Luxferro

Nov 19, 2009
Long Island, NY
Surprisingly I just had a chat with Netflix support and the guy said his team is looking at it now. For some weird reason he asked if I'd be willing to change my password to my account for 48 hours.. not sure why, but I did it.

You are now chatting with: Chay

You: Hello

Netflix Chay: It's a wonderful day at Netflix! I'm Chay. How can I help you out?

You: How can I get info to the android netflix app team about a catastrophic bug in the latest version when running android 4.3?

Netflix Chay: Hmm... what exactly is going on? I would love to help you out!

You: It's been confirmed by a number of people already. Launching the netflix app on nexus 4 running android 4.3 will put the device in a sleep of death as soon as the screen sleeps. black screen, phone locked up.
You: basically all you have to do is run the app, and exit it. soon as the phone sleeps you get black screen of death. need to hold down power button to force power off
You: I started a thread here on XDA to ask others to try it. And anyone who has has reported the same results http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2377304
You: Android 4.3 has only been out a day, so more will notice soon :)

Netflix Chay: Whoa that is pretty intense! I would be more than happy to help you out. I can't click on links but I definitely want to make sure we figure this out.

You: k, if you just foward this info to the netflix app team so they can test and fix it it would be helpful.
You: Unless you have a Nexus 4 and have Android 4.3 on it to confirm it yourself, there's not much you can do but let them know :)

Netflix Chay: I actually reached out to my research team and they are taking a look into this right now for you! Thanks so much for reporting this. Just hang tight for a bit okay?

You: sure

Netflix Chay: Thanks a bunch!

You: I'll be really impressed if they confirm it and start working on a fix. I thought this was going to be a dead end (trying chat).

Netflix Chay: Would you mind telling me the brand of your Nexus? That would really help me out!

You: I had given it one star in the google play store, with how to reproduce. And hoped others in my thread would too to get it attention. Until someone suggested I contact netflix rather then rate it 1 star.
You: I have the Nexus 4
You: with the official version of Android 4.3 that was just released yesterday
You: Any Nexus 4's out there should be getting the OTA updates, probably soon, if they are on the official software. Or it can be downloaded from googles webpage and flashed manually if they don't want to wait.
You: Here's the page if you're interested and your dev team needs to update https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#occamjwr66v

Netflix Chay: Would you mind changing your password to XXXXXXXXXXXXX for 48 hours please? That way my research team can take a better look into this and figure out what's going on.

You: I don't mind, but how will giving them access to my account help them?

Netflix Chay: I'm not entirely sure but my research team is going to try to recreate it on their device. Thanks so much for being so understanding. I really do appreciate it!

You: no problem. do you still need me to change my password?

Netflix Chay: Please, if you could change it to XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX just for the next 48 hours it would help us out so much.

You: okay sure.
You: it's done

Netflix Chay: Great! Thanks a bunch for reporting this issue. We'll do some digging and it get it all up and running in no time!
Netflix Chay: By chance, is there anything else I can help you with today?

You: nope, this was it

Netflix Chay: Sweet! Thanks for chatting in so I can help you out. Have a great day and enjoy your movies. And one more thing, if you wouldn’t mind, please stay online for a one-question survey.

MarkGbe

Nov 30, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Confirmed here too. Didn't happen before 4.3 with the new Netflix app.

I hope they fix it soon, trying to enjoy my new chromecast.

Luxferro

Nov 19, 2009
Long Island, NY
I just tried a test. launched Netflix, exit. Then force stopped Netflix. Pressed the power button to lock phone. Pressed it again, it let me unlock. Let it sit and sleep... sleep of death. So it happens even if the app isn't running, but was at least ran once that boot.

I've yet to find another app that will do this (thinking maybe it is a 4.3 bug). I tried some other video playing apps, plex, ect. But haven't found anything yet.

Reactions: MrToastedAndroid

Sailor Jerry

Mar 26, 2011
Florida
This is happening to me when Chromecasting. I have, however, successfully watched Netflix on my phone and closed the app without experiencing it.

Luxferro

Nov 19, 2009
Long Island, NY
Here's the link to Netflix's support chat. Hit it up if you guys want to complain and let them know there's a decent amount of people that would like it fixed :)

https://contactus.netflix.com/help#startChat

I still don't understand why that guy asked me to change my password to one he gave me... Not like I am going to keep trying to use the app and lockup the phone. And I can't see how changing a password would enable them to get logs or debug info.. but I guess I'll leave it that way for one more day :silly:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Surprisingly I just had a chat with Netflix support and the guy said his team is looking at it now. For some weird reason he asked if I'd be willing to change my password to my account for 48 hours.. not sure why, but I did it.

You are now chatting with: Chay

You: Hello

Netflix Chay: It's a wonderful day at Netflix! I'm Chay. How can I help you out?

You: How can I get info to the android netflix app team about a catastrophic bug in the latest version when running android 4.3?

Netflix Chay: Hmm... what exactly is going on? I would love to help you out!

You: It's been confirmed by a number of people already. Launching the netflix app on nexus 4 running android 4.3 will put the device in a sleep of death as soon as the screen sleeps. black screen, phone locked up.
    You: basically all you have to do is run the app, and exit it. soon as the phone sleeps you get black screen of death. need to hold down power button to force power off
    You: I started a thread here on XDA to ask others to try it. And anyone who has has reported the same results http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2377304
    You: Android 4.3 has only been out a day, so more will notice soon :)

Netflix Chay: Whoa that is pretty intense! I would be more than happy to help you out. I can't click on links but I definitely want to make sure we figure this out.

You: k, if you just foward this info to the netflix app team so they can test and fix it it would be helpful.
    You: Unless you have a Nexus 4 and have Android 4.3 on it to confirm it yourself, there's not much you can do but let them know :)

Netflix Chay: I actually reached out to my research team and they are taking a look into this right now for you! Thanks so much for reporting this. Just hang tight for a bit okay?

You: sure

Netflix Chay: Thanks a bunch!

You: I'll be really impressed if they confirm it and start working on a fix. I thought this was going to be a dead end (trying chat).

Netflix Chay: Would you mind telling me the brand of your Nexus? That would really help me out!

You: I had given it one star in the google play store, with how to reproduce. And hoped others in my thread would too to get it attention. Until someone suggested I contact netflix rather then rate it 1 star.
    You: I have the Nexus 4
    You: with the official version of Android 4.3 that was just released yesterday
    You: Any Nexus 4's out there should be getting the OTA updates, probably soon, if they are on the official software. Or it can be downloaded from googles webpage and flashed manually if they don't want to wait.
    You: Here's the page if you're interested and your dev team needs to update https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#occamjwr66v

Netflix Chay: Would you mind changing your password to XXXXXXXXXXXXX for 48 hours please? That way my research team can take a better look into this and figure out what's going on.

You: I don't mind, but how will giving them access to my account help them?

Netflix Chay: I'm not entirely sure but my research team is going to try to recreate it on their device. Thanks so much for being so understanding. I really do appreciate it!

You: no problem. do you still need me to change my password?

Netflix Chay: Please, if you could change it to XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX just for the next 48 hours it would help us out so much.

You: okay sure.
    You: it's done

Netflix Chay: Great! Thanks a bunch for reporting this issue. We'll do some digging and it get it all up and running in no time!
    Netflix Chay: By chance, is there anything else I can help you with today?

You: nope, this was it

Netflix Chay: Sweet! Thanks for chatting in so I can help you out. Have a great day and enjoy your movies. And one more thing, if you wouldn’t mind, please stay online for a one-question survey.
    Stock Google Android 4.3( JWR66V) and running the Netflix app at all will put your phone into a sleep of death (black screen, frozen phone). You don't even need to play a movie in Netflix, just launch the app once since rebooting the phone and it will happen. Netflix is aware of the issue, as can be seen here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=43950299#post43950299

edit: I don't have this issue with AOSP 4.3 roms. So it may already be fixed.

According to this thread there are many differences, especially for the kernel between JSS15J and JWR66V. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2382880
    I just tried a test. launched Netflix, exit. Then force stopped Netflix. Pressed the power button to lock phone. Pressed it again, it let me unlock. Let it sit and sleep... sleep of death. So it happens even if the app isn't running, but was at least ran once that boot.

I've yet to find another app that will do this (thinking maybe it is a 4.3 bug). I tried some other video playing apps, plex, ect. But haven't found anything yet.
    Does it do this if you don't run the app during a boot cycle? I would like to keep it installed and wait for an update but I use my phone as my alarm clock.. Would hate to wake up late for work..

As long as you don't open Netflix after a reboot you can leave it installed with no issues waiting for update.
    Just tried setting to zero background processes and I still got the SOD.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk HD