App to show strongest voice/data provider at my location?

Search This thread

itm

Jan 1, 2007
I'm looking to change my mobile provider (in the UK), but want to check the relative signal strengths of each network provider accessible from my house, to avoid choosing a provider that has poor reception when I'm at home. Can anyone recommend an app that will scan for all cell/3G signals in the area and show (a) who the provider is and (b) how strong the voice and data signals are?

I've got access to coverage maps but they seem to be notoriously inaccurate/unreliable, and also don't give specific information for an exact location (i.e. a specific premises).

SSThing

Jan 16, 2012
I'm looking to change my mobile provider (in the UK), but want to check the relative signal strengths of each network provider accessible from my house, to avoid choosing a provider that has poor reception when I'm at home. Can anyone recommend an app that will scan for all cell/3G signals in the area and show (a) who the provider is and (b) how strong the voice and data signals are?

I've got access to coverage maps but they seem to be notoriously inaccurate/unreliable, and also don't give specific information for an exact location (i.e. a specific premises).

If your phone is unlocked you can go into network settings and scan for all available networks, this will at least give you an indication of who is available, however, I do not believe an app exists that can give you specifics about any network other than the one you are on.
If you look online, most of the operators are offering free PAYG sim cards, perhaps you could send off for these and try each one in your phone to see who gives best reception, they should all register on the network even if they have no credit on them, at least that's my understanding.