[Q] Is OmniROM compatible with franco kernel and Swype keyboard

Search This thread

jvnanu

May 11, 2014
Hey guys. I'm new to the world of Android (had a Nexus 5 since November, coming from BB and iPhone). I'm even newer to modding (unlocked/rooted/installed CM on my device 4 days ago), and I'm even newer than that to XDA (first post!) so I apologize if these questions either don't belong here or are a little naive.

I've been reading and viewing a lot of reviews on OmniROM and I'm thinking of installing it when my new device comes in this week (had to RMA due to pixel issues). For the last few days I decided to unlock/root/flash a ROM on my phone just to try it out. Based on what I've seen and read, I think OmniROM would meet my needs better than CM, so I think that's the direction I'm going to go.

One thing I want to improve about my phone's performance is battery life. I've noticed a slight improvement with CM, but not nearly the improvement others have noticed when using custom kernels, such as Franco Kernel. I know that Franco Kernel has some compatibility issues with CM, and I'm wondering if those issues exist with OmniROM? If Franco Kernel is NOT compatible with Omni, could you suggest other options to achieve the same or similar improvements to battery life?

Second question is with Swype keyboard. Swype worked great for the first day or so after installing CM, but lately I'm getting the "stopped working" dialogue box after every word I type. The keyboard doesn't go away, and I can keep typing, but I get that dialogue box after every. single. word. I have no idea if it's the rom that's causing it. I downloaded Swype off of Amazon when they had a free app giveaway, but there are no updates available there. IF the issues with Swype are linked to CM, will those same issues exist with Omni? Are there any solutions to this issue?

Thanks a lot!

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
No clue. Alternate kernels are NOT supported and no one on the team is going to endorse one. It might work, it might not, you will not be able to file bug reports if you're running a modified configuration.

Reactions: meekrawb

r4svob

Jan 11, 2010
Ostrava
I think that Franco will work normally. It doesn't work on CM 'cuz it's CAF ROM. As I know, Omni is not CAF based so Franco (btw for me ElementalX kernel fits better, take a look at it too) should work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No clue. Alternate kernels are NOT supported and no one on the team is going to endorse one. It might work, it might not, you will not be able to file bug reports if you're running a modified configuration.