Qi and Otterbox

Search This thread

jfriend33

Oct 7, 2010
Illinois
I don't know if it will work with the g3. But it does with the droid maxx and tylt vu. It gets way too hot though. I would avoid it unless you use multiple batteries or are ok with replacing them as needed.

I worried more about this with my droid maxx as it's battery is non removable. But the g3 is so it's not as big of a deal.

Then you take into consideration the deterioration with the usb port. If I was going to keep my lg g3 for many years, I would suggest the oem external charger and just swap the batteries as needed.

justbenny2k

I don't know if it will work with the g3. But it does with the droid maxx and tylt vu. It gets way too hot though. I would avoid it unless you use multiple batteries or are ok with replacing them as needed.

I worried more about this with my droid maxx as it's battery is non removable. But the g3 is so it's not as big of a deal.

Then you take into consideration the deterioration with the usb port. If I was going to keep my lg g3 for many years, I would suggest the oem external charger and just swap the batteries as needed.

This is great information to take in. I want the convenience of Qi but I don't want to worry about my phone/battery overheating. My last phone was the HTC EVO 3D. I rooted it and enjoyed running 4.4.4 on it but it overheated like you couldn't imagine and was actually extremely hot to the touch at times. I had 2 extra batteries for it that I swapped out as needed but it was a pain and not always convenient.

If there's risk of battery damage, I'd rather just go without. Oh, and I read the Verizon LG G3 was being shipped without Qi but mine clearly has it. Odd...

jfriend33

Oct 7, 2010
Illinois
This is great information to take in. I want the convenience of Qi but I don't want to worry about my phone/battery overheating. My last phone was the HTC EVO 3D. I rooted it and enjoyed running 4.4.4 on it but it overheated like you couldn't imagine and was actually extremely hot to the touch at times. I had 2 extra batteries for it that I swapped out as needed but it was a pain and not always convenient.

If there's risk of battery damage, I'd rather just go without. Oh, and I read the Verizon LG G3 was being shipped without Qi but mine clearly has it. Odd...

Hmm. It has the ability built in. But you have to purchase a qi sticker or a new back door or lg official slim guard case from eBay to make it work.

I'm not sure how hot the g3 gets from qi charging. My experience is only with the droid maxx. So what I'm getting at is you may want to search around or wait here.

But I would weigh the options. If you don't get new phones often, and you do a lot of plugging unplugging then maybe you will want to try qi.

I would like to think that the otterbox would protect your micro usb port from dust. Dust accumulation has a lot to do with ports going loose or bad. But sometimes it can be cleaned with a broken toothpick.

No matter how you use a phone there's always risk of damage. But charging habits are crucial for battery longevity. My year old droid maxx is registering as 3400mah capacity (originally 3500). I've never had a battery stay that healthy until I changed my habits. Just try to top off from 30%-40% to 80-90%. And don't expose it to extremes.

I would like to know the long term effects of quick charge 2.0. I don't know if it works with just any charger or only special or included ones. I am going to track the time in comparison to the verizon 2.1a 6ft vs lg oem 1.8a. My battery app monitors temp and that will be a big indicator.

And after looking my phone isn't getting any hotter with the lg charger. I don't have a qi sticker so I can't test it.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk