[Q] AT&T SGH-I747 Soft Brick Need Help!!!

Search This thread
Mar 1, 2014
I need help recovering my GS3, i tried using CF auto root to root my phone and i guess it didnt work because my phone doesnt boot past the samsung screen. I didnt have any custom recovery installed so i dont believe and thing was backed up. I am able to get into download mode and recovery mode. I tried flashing stock firmware using kies but it encounters a error saying its a problem with my phone, I tried using odin but it also gives me an error when flashing firmware saying
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> root66_ATT_I747UCDLK3.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/003> FAIL! (Auth)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1

What do I do to fix my phone?

Mar 1, 2014
I need help recovering my GS3, i tried using CF auto root to root my phone and i guess it didnt work because my phone doesnt boot past the samsung screen. I didnt have any custom recovery installed so i dont believe and thing was backed up. I am able to get into download mode and recovery mode. I tried flashing stock firmware using kies but it encounters a error saying its a problem with my phone, I tried using odin but it also gives me an error when flashing firmware saying
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> root66_ATT_I747UCDLK3.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1

What do I do to fix my phone?

Ok I Installed Insecure Boot img via odin3 and my phone rebooted but now instead of it booting at the 1 second samsung screen it goes past it to the galaxy s 3 screen and just sits there. i also installed twrp, it let me mount everything but i cant u adb to push anything and it says i have no os installed. i dont know what moves to make anymore someone please help me out!!!

dawgdoc

Nov 27, 2013
What version of Android did you have on your phone when it last worked, stock or custom ROM?

lemngo02

Aug 7, 2012
Are you still able to get it into download mode?

Press and hold volume down + home + power at the same time

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
If you had the 4.3 bootloader on your phone, you cannot use Odin to flash a stock ROM.

Were you running the stock AT&T 4.3 ROM?

dawgdoc

Nov 27, 2013
thats koo but the problem is i dont think my phone is rooted, i cant adb push using twrp cause my device wont show up when i adb devices

Based on your Odin printout in the first post you were flashing a modified 4.1.1 kernel to install root. This should be fine if you were on either the 4.1.1 or 4.1.2 stock ROM. If you were on the 4.3 stock ROM your root attempt is probably the source of the problem.
IMPORTANT How to proceed from here depends on if you were on 4.3 or an earlier version of stock.

Also, since this forum is for AT&T and Canadian variants; I see the title of the first post says i747 - is this correct? It matters.

fastludeh22

Mar 22, 2009
Based on your Odin printout in the first post you were flashing a modified 4.1.1 kernel to install root. This should be fine if you were on either the 4.1.1 or 4.1.2 stock ROM. If you were on the 4.3 stock ROM your root attempt is probably the source of the problem.
IMPORTANT How to proceed from here depends on if you were on 4.3 or an earlier version of stock.

Also, since this forum is for AT&T and Canadian variants; I see the title of the first post says i747 - is this correct? It matters.

ok, not to jack his thread, but what if you are on the 4.3 bootloader? i didnt do what he did, but i am stuck in a similar situation. I am on the 4.3 bootloader, but i do have a custom recovery installed. problem is i get an error when i try to wipe. Ive tried flashing stock 4.3 rom via sideload in stock recovery, and modified rom though twrp. both roms install fine, but dont boot, but they do freeze in different points so i know something is being flashed. ive also tried wiping in cwm and stock. im bout ready to flash anything to this phone. oh and a nandroid restore fails after boot img flashes.

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
its was a stock android rom i believe im not sure what version though.

From your message, you likely were on stock 4.3. Since you are able to get into recovery and download modes, you may try a restore via custom recovery. Please see the thread below on how to install custom recovery and do a stock restore ...

<http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2658486>

Mar 1, 2014

If you had the 4.3 bootloader on your phone, you cannot use Odin to flash a stock ROM.

Were you running the stock AT&T 4.3 ROM?

Yes the phone is AT&T and more than likely it was on 4.3 now what do i do

Mar 1, 2014
never mind folks i got it up and running my only option was to use the sd card so i found my adapter and fixed it. im on 4.1.2 now its updating software now im guessing to 4.3. thank you guys for all the help

dawgdoc

Nov 27, 2013
Yes the phone is AT&T and more than likely it was on 4.3 now what do i do

Before doing anything else, boot into recovery. If you are on a stock recovery the very first line will tell you that the system recovery is 3e

If you have one of the custom recoveries it will be different. If you have one of the custom recoveries, TWRP or CWM, you can use the link Larry299 posted earlier in this thread to restore your phone. If you are on the stock recovery and the 4.3 bootloader I don't know what to suggest.

Mar 1, 2014
Before doing anything else, boot into recovery. If you are on a stock recovery the very first line will tell you that the system recovery is 3e

If you have one of the custom recoveries it will be different. If you have one of the custom recoveries, TWRP or CWM, you can use the link Larry299 posted earlier in this thread to restore your phone. If you are on the stock recovery and the 4.3 bootloader I don't know what to suggest.

I got everything back to normal im rooted on 4.1.2 and have a pending up date, is it safe for me to update via software updater or do i have to do something else

dawgdoc

Nov 27, 2013
I got everything back to normal im rooted on 4.1.2 and have a pending up date, is it safe for me to update via software updater or do i have to do something else

There is a chance that being rooted will prevent you from using the OTA official update. I've seen reports of people being able to update to the official 4.3 while rooted, but I've also seen reports of people not being able to update.

Before you make that update, bear in mind that the official 4.3 bootloader, its name ends in MJB, is the one that will prevent you from ever going back to an older bootloader. Some of the devs and the more experienced on here have no problem with that. Others do consider it an issue. An alternative is to install the leaked 4.3 bootloader, it's name ends in MJ2. That bootloader will allow you to downgrade to the 4.1.1 or 4.1.2 bootloaders, or so I have read. There is information about this in the development and the general forums for our device.

To muddy the waters more; if you intend to sim unlock your device without gettings codes from your carrier you need to do it from the 4.1.1 official ROM. A point you can not return to from the official 4.3 ROM, or so I've read.

Tapion817

Jun 3, 2014
I am having a huge booting issue with my Samsung Galaxy S3. Its a brand new one and I tried rooting it but it gave me this error:

<ID:0/003> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/003> recovery.img
<ID:0/003> cache.img
<ID:0/003> FAIL!
<ID:0/003>
<ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

I can get to download mode, but not recovery nor does it boot into the Android OS. I tried putting back the stock OS and it gave me this error:

<ID:0/003> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/003>
<ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

I've tried follow a bunch of these threads, but I can't seem to resolve my issue yet. I probably have that 4.3 bootloader which screwed everything up. Can someone help me resolve my issue? I literally got this phone today from AT&T. Thank you.