Keep Pictures and Files on the Cloud

Search This thread

fermasia

Mar 25, 2013
Buenos Aires
I've tried searching for a thread concerning my question but couldn't find one. I'm really surprised nobody brought this up. Or my searching skills are really messed up... in which case, I excuse myself.

What I want to do is to make some room in my sdcard by automatically uploading pictures, videos and files (if possible) to my Google Drive (or any other Cloud Storage Service) and delete them locally. Basically, making my cloud drive a truly virtual drive.

Has anyone tried/achieved such a thing?

Thanks.

jaspreet997

Jul 15, 2013
Is this what you are looking for? uploadfromtaptalk1396319024773.jpg
The default photos app does that

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

liveroy

Jun 8, 2007
/dev/null
www.gear-bg.com
No, that way pics get backupped but won't be deleted locally (to free up space).

You're asking for functionality that is very hard to be implemented, even tho it sounds simple.
Basically there are no real viable ways to verify if a given file is not corrupted when uploaded to the cloud. At least not in a way that won't be creating singe huge overhead.

Anyway, if you find something that works, let us know, I'm also interested in such app/script/whatever.

fermasia

Mar 25, 2013
Buenos Aires
You're asking for functionality that is very hard to be implemented, even tho it sounds simple.
Basically there are no real viable ways to verify if a given file is not corrupted when uploaded to the cloud. At least not in a way that won't be creating singe huge overhead.

Anyway, if you find something that works, let us know, I'm also interested in such app/script/whatever.

I think I've partially achieved the goal by using DropBox. Unlike Google Drive, files aren't deleted from the cloud when they are deleted locally. But I have to manually delete files from the phone, since I haven't found a way to delete on upload. And, thought, this just works for pictures and videos, not for other files, that would have to be uploaded manually too.

I know that even when sounding simple it's not that easy to accomplish... but I believe Google made the Moto G with such a small storage capacity (to reduce costs too, I understand) to be complete with cloud storage, so...