My SGS4 Melted Last Night :(

Search This thread

timmytim

Jan 6, 2011
Phoenix
I woke up this morning and rolled over to grab my phone off the nightstand and was shocked to find that the phone was sitting in a small puddle of water and the USB port and cable were melted. There was a message in the status bar saying "High Powered USB Device Connected" and the phone had not charged. The phone will not recognize any USB cables either. The USB port is simply dead.

The water came from my CPAP machine which for some reason leaked a little last night. The water got in between the battery and back cover and must have shorted something out. Bummer.....

Called AT&T and they said that the warranty doesn't cover this damage (didnt tell them about the water though) because it could have came from a power surge in the home. Also, I don't have insurance on the phone and I do not have any upgrades available on my family plan AND I cannot add another line to my account without changing my family plan which would mean that I would lose my unlimited data plan which I'm grandfathered into. Im screwed....

Temporary Solution! - Galaxy S4 Spare Battery w/ Charger

I ran down to Frys Electronics here in town and they had 1 in stock. Now I can swap batteried daily (pain in the A$$) but it's my only option at this point short of buying another phone out right.

I have an SD card so I can still swap ROMS and stuff but I cannot go back to stock via Odin if I ever desired that.

Lessons Learned - Always buy insurance on your phone & dont charge next to a humidifier or water tank.

VeJ1JMR.jpg

ted77usa

Inactive RC / RT
Jan 13, 2010
Fog City
I woke up this morning and rolled over to grab my phone off the nightstand and was shocked to find that the phone was sitting in a small puddle of water and the USB port and cable were melted. There was a message in the status bar saying "High Powered USB Device Connected" and the phone had not charged. The phone will not recognize any USB cables either. The USB port is simply dead.

The water came from my CPAP machine which for some reason leaked a little last night. The water got in between the battery and back cover and must have shorted something out. Bummer.....

Called AT&T and they said that the warranty doesn't cover this damage (didnt tell them about the water though) because it could have came from a power surge in the home. Also, I don't have insurance on the phone and I do not have any upgrades available on my family plan AND I cannot add another line to my account without changing my family plan which would mean that I would lose my unlimited data plan which I'm grandfathered into. Im screwed....

I ran down to Frys Electronics here in town and they had 1 in stock. Now I can swap batteried daily (pain in the A$$) but it's my only option at this point short of buying another phone out right.

I have an SD card so I can still swap ROMS and stuff but I cannot go back to stock via Odin if I ever desired that.

Lessons Learned - Always buy insurance on your phone & dont charge next to a humidifier or water tank.

VeJ1JMR.jpg

Check your PM......I might have some solution for u or u can try replacing usb charger flex cable......google it

SWYPED_FROM_S4_MF3_REDVENOM

Last edited:

gorgy76

Nov 19, 2010

VeJ1JMR.jpg

you can use a wireless receiver and charger it's not as fast as the oem Wall charger but still good at 640mah charge.

jeboo

Recognized Developer
Apr 2, 2010
Damn man, that's tough. Definitely try replacing the usb port before scrapping the phone. You can get it off ebay for < $20.

Reactions: ted77usa

timmytim

Jan 6, 2011
Phoenix
Damn man, that's tough. Definitely try replacing the usb port before scrapping the phone. You can get it off ebay for < $20.

Yea I thought about that but the plastic around the port is melted and warped so badly that I dont know if I will even be able to get a USB cable in there. It's worth a shot through. Maybe I can smooth it out with a very small Dremel tool

toxicpaulution

Oct 27, 2011
Lykens
I always use spare batteries, I have 4 spares, it's way better than chargering. Post a video about it on YouTube. Someone else's s4 charger burned up their phone and Samsung got all butthurt and then Nokia sent them a new phone because Samsung tried to bury it. I don't charge my phone because IF I need the port I'll have it so I don't take the chance of ruining it.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Z51

Nov 28, 2006
charger flex cable is like 20 bucks. replace and repair it.

Z51

Nov 28, 2006
I bought a 9500 body backcover and home button for 23.00 on ebay and it was aurora red
the other colors are easier .I still have the body
in other words,all the the parts are cheap and readily available on the bay

I just made an arctic white S4 autumn red. cost $200 (I had a broken LCD)

TRusselo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
hmm... does "mobile odin" work on the ATT variant? might be able to odin back to stock with it, then call samsung warranty support.

punkcell

Jan 8, 2007
NYC
Join the club buddy, I left mine on the charger 1 night for about 5hours and roll over out of bed picked it up only to burn my hand, after I drop my S4 because it was so hot, I find that half the screen was burned but still viewable, SIM card melted in the slot and the plastic slightly bent. Took it to a at&t repair center and they swapped it out on the spot. No question asked.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.