[KERNEL][JetStream] DooMKernel [Rel:v01][Dt:04/Jan]

Search This thread

DooMLoRD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2010
Pune
hello everyone,

i present to u the first custom kernel for the HTC JetStream!

i have developed kernels for Xperia X10, Xperia ARC, Xperia PLAY, Huawei Ideos X6, Samsung Galaxy SL, Kindle Fire, HTC Flyer and now i bring u my kernel for HTC JetStream!!! this is my first kernel for a MSM8x60 (Snapdragon S3 device)..

i dont have this device with me and so it was a pain getting this kernel working without device in hand but thanks to the testers it was possible!!!

special thanks to: bmw-boy, nmyseteroious & Russ741 for testing it out on their tablets!

[ disclaimer ]

OVERCLOCKING CAN BE DANGEROUS! U RISK THE HARDWARE GETTING DAMAGED!

PROCEED WITH CAUTION!

U HAVE BEEN WARNED!

I AM NOT TO BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IF U DAMAGE UR PHONE / SPILL UR COFFEE / MISS UR ALARMS / ANY OTHER CALAMITY/MISHAP

[ features ]

• CPU overclocked to :eek::eek::eek: 2.052 Ghz :eek::eek::eek:
  • CPU underclocked to 192 Mhz
  • GPU overclocked to 320 Mhz
  • for safe booting CPU is capped at bootup to 1.536GHz/384MHz (max/min)
  • slightly undervolted (atleast for stock frequencies)
  • uses LZMA compression
  • added lots of fixing/patches (including CPU HOTPLUG notifications/CPU unaligned access) thanks to faux132
  • VDD CPU voltage control (@ /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/vdd_table/vdd_levels)
  • compiled using Snapdragon optimizations
  • PERFLOCK disabled
  • SWAP enabled
  • enabled few file systems support:
    • NTFS
    • NFS
    • CIFS
  • insecure kernel (ro.secure=0 & USB debugging enabled by default)
  • /system mounted as RW

[ credits for features ]

• most of the stuff in this kernel is based on the work by faux132 and showp1984 on their HTC Sensation kernel!

thank you all for ur work!

[ requirements ]

[ how to install my kernel ]

1. download the provided kernel image & wifi module (zip file)
  2. save the wifi module (zip file) to external sdcard
  3. reboot device into fastboot mode (adb reboot bootloader)
  4. flash my kernel using (fastboot flash boot kernelname.img)
  5. reboot device (fastboot reboot)
  6. enter recovery (adb reboot recovery)
  7. flash the wifi module (zip file) via recovery (install zip from sdcard)
  8. reboot phone and enjoy the kernel ;)

FOR OVERCLOCKING
  1. start SetCPU/NoFrills CPU Control app on ur device (or any other app which supports overclocking) (u may get a popup asking for SuperUser permissions, click ok/yes/allow)
  2. now slowly increase the MAX slider to the right (one notch at a time) to increase the maximum frequency limit
  3. DO NOT JUMP TO THE LAST POSSIBLE FREQUENCY
  4. SLOWLY increase the frequency one notch at a time and do stability/testing for few hours
  5. during testing never set "SET ON BOOT" option of these apps... u might get stuck in bootloops...

[ my kernel sources ]

https://github.com/DooMLoRD/HTC-JetStream-HC-Kernel

[ donations ]

if u feel that this work has helped u OR u think that the work i put into making this is worthy of donations, then click on the following link for buying me some coffee/beer/etc ;)

PAYPAL DONATION LINK

[ downloads ]

[JetStream] DooMKernel v01 (mirror)
MD5HASH: dc8093f0b349f14580515e52be7f1fff

Wifi Module (mirror)

icon8.gif

ENJOY!!!

Last edited:

guru_shastri

Oct 25, 2010
what's the wifi module?

and also, i have no intention of OCing or UCing..will this kernel make a difference for me?

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
what's the wifi module?

and also, i have no intention of OCing or UCing..will this kernel make a difference for me?

custom kernels need the corresponding wifi module for wifi to work correctly... else u will get error...

if u are not planning to OC then dont worry... the kernel will always boot at 384mhz/1536Mhz (similar to stock speeds)... so if u dont overclock using apps then kernel will never be run at those high clocks :)

though u might be interested in undervolting... CPU Voltage control interface is provided!!!

Reactions: unmounted
Interesting.
I have flashed many roms and mods but never delved into kernels much.
I don't plan on OC or UC either. Saying that, is SetCPU and VDD Control app still required to use the kernel for proper control?

I'm sorry if I ask basic questions. Like I said, not dealt with Kernels much before.

guru_shastri

Oct 25, 2010
will it make the tablet quicker? without OCing that is...
and if something goes wrong - are the kernels at bmw-boy the stock ones? in case i'd need them

and i think all that is left is a proper ROM.
and than - just waiting for ICS.

Last edited:

Russ741

Retired Senior Moderator
Apr 26, 2006
Annapolis, MD
www.rcc-llc.com
UC/OC

I have seen several posts making statements about "I have no intention to overclock...." etc. Why? One of the great benefits of using a custom Kernel/ROM is the ability to over/under clock the device (JetStream or whatever). Do you drive your car at exactly 45MPH and 2500RPM everywhere you go and park it on a treadmill at night so it can continue to turn the tires at 45MPH and 2500RPM? No you drive slow when needed and fast when needed. When you come to a traffic light you car idles and uses less fuel. This is what UC/OC is about. By using a dynamic CPU control (SetCPU or NoFrills) the CPU clock will increase/decrease as needed. SAVING you battery and giving you a performance boost when needed. Can you damage your processor? Sure you can, but you can damage it just as much by dropping it on the floor. Set the CPU controls properly (DooMLord tells you how above) and you wont have any negative affects. I have been UC/OC my several devices for years.

I tested this Kernel and have it running flat out at 2+GHz with no issues.

Enjoy the battery life extension, the better usability and DooMLord's hard work. He was up till about 5am his time yesterday testing.

Just my 2C.

Russ741

I have seen several posts making statements about "I have no intention to overclock...." etc. Why? One of the great benefits of using a custom Kernel/ROM is the ability to over/under clock the device (JetStream or whatever). Do you drive your car at exactly 45MPH and 2500RPM everywhere you go and park it on a treadmill at night so it can continue to turn the tires at 45MPH and 2500RPM? No you drive slow when needed and fast when needed. When you come to a traffic light you car idles and uses less fuel. This is what UC/OC is about. By using a dynamic CPU control (SetCPU or NoFrills) the CPU clock will increase/decrease as needed. SAVING you battery and giving you a performance boost when needed. Can you damage your processor? Sure you can, but you can damage it just as much by dropping it on the floor. Set the CPU controls properly (DooMLord tells you how above) and you wont have any negative affects. I have been UC/OC my several devices for years.

Enjoy the battery life extension, the better usability and DooMLord's hard work. He was up till about 5am his time yesterday testing.

Just my 2C.

Russ741

I actually take back what I said!
I am clocked at about 500/1800 min/max.
Though after I reboot, SetCPU forcecloses two or three times without me even opening the app. (And it is not set to boot)

I see this as an opportunity to learn more about kernels and UC/OC. I appreciate all of Doom's efforts and am happy to donate to him for it!

guru_shastri

Oct 25, 2010
its not personal, and i have great appretiation for the work Doomlord put in it.
and i will flash it as soon as i could.

that being sayd, i don't think OC a device is a good thing. i'm happy with what i get right now, and i think there's a reason the CPU is clocked the way it is.
i've tried OCing in some of my past devices and never felt the difference besides having another app grinding my memory.
that's my opinion for now. it might change someday..

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
its not personal, and i have great appretiation for the work Doomlord put in it.

that being sayd, i don't think OC a device is a good thing. i'm happy with what i get right now, and i think there's a reason the CPU is clocked the way it is.
i've tried OCing in some of my past devices and never felt the difference besides having another app grinding my memory.

as i told u earlier:
>>>
the kernel will always boot at 384mhz/1536Mhz (similar to stock speeds)... so if u dont overclock using apps then kernel will never be run at those high clocks
<<<

Reactions: Nitro_123

guru_shastri

Oct 25, 2010
flashed it. everything seems fine so far...
let's see how it goes for the upcoming days.

should anything happen and i'd like to restore he original kernel - is it posted here somewhere? maybe it should be?

sikorski

Apr 5, 2007
Guadalajara
Battery Life

@DoomLord

Question, just by having the Kernel will I have a better battery life or should I do some configurations?

Thanks

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
@DoomLord

Question, just by having the Kernel will I have a better battery life or should I do some configurations?

Thanks

There are already some optimizations to improve battery life... I will tell u later how to undervolt further to get even better battery life..

Sent from my HTC Flyer P510e using XDA App

k2trill

Aug 30, 2009
EXCELLENT kernel!

prolly one of the best kernels I've EVER flashed and used with regard to battery life, speed, stability, etc. been runnin this kernel since it's first moment of release at 192mhz min/2.05ghz max/ondemand... absolutely NO crashes, NO reboots, NO heating issues (matter fact it runs cooler than stock pre rooting!). VERY GOOD job!!!! can/will u help us out in the Rezound community as well??

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
since i dont have the device with me i cant test but the CPU voltage VDD control interface will provide u with following features:

1. get the current CPU frequency/voltage table

Code:
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/vdd_table/vdd_levels

2. lower voltages for all frequencies
    e.g.: lower voltage by 25mV

Code:
    echo '-25000' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/vdd_table/vdd_levels

3. increase voltages for all frequencies
    e.g.: increase voltage by 25mV

Code:
    echo '+25000' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/vdd_table/vdd_levels

4. specify voltages for a particular frequency
    e.g.: say u want to set voltage for 1536 MHz frequency to 1225 mV then:

Code:
    echo '1536000 1225000' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/vdd_table/vdd_levels

here is a useful app:
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/4550-app09-beta-snapdragon-dual-core-oc-control/
may be someone can test it?

the current frequency/voltage table is as follows:
https://github.com/DooMLoRD/HTC-Jet...ernel/arch/arm/mach-msm/acpuclock-8x60.c#L220

all this can be made into simple init.d script

i will later post a update.zip to enable init.d support...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hello everyone,

i present to u the first custom kernel for the HTC JetStream!

i have developed kernels for Xperia X10, Xperia ARC, Xperia PLAY, Huawei Ideos X6, Samsung Galaxy SL, Kindle Fire, HTC Flyer and now i bring u my kernel for HTC JetStream!!! this is my first kernel for a MSM8x60 (Snapdragon S3 device)..

i dont have this device with me and so it was a pain getting this kernel working without device in hand but thanks to the testers it was possible!!!

special thanks to: bmw-boy, nmyseteroious & Russ741 for testing it out on their tablets!

[ disclaimer ]

OVERCLOCKING CAN BE DANGEROUS! U RISK THE HARDWARE GETTING DAMAGED!

PROCEED WITH CAUTION!

U HAVE BEEN WARNED!

I AM NOT TO BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IF U DAMAGE UR PHONE / SPILL UR COFFEE / MISS UR ALARMS / ANY OTHER CALAMITY/MISHAP

[ features ]

• CPU overclocked to :eek::eek::eek: 2.052 Ghz :eek::eek::eek:
    • CPU underclocked to 192 Mhz
    • GPU overclocked to 320 Mhz
    • for safe booting CPU is capped at bootup to 1.536GHz/384MHz (max/min)
    • slightly undervolted (atleast for stock frequencies)
    • uses LZMA compression
    • added lots of fixing/patches (including CPU HOTPLUG notifications/CPU unaligned access) thanks to faux132
    • VDD CPU voltage control (@ /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/vdd_table/vdd_levels)
    • compiled using Snapdragon optimizations
    • PERFLOCK disabled
    • SWAP enabled
    • enabled few file systems support:
      • NTFS
      • NFS
      • CIFS
    • insecure kernel (ro.secure=0 & USB debugging enabled by default)
    • /system mounted as RW

[ credits for features ]

• most of the stuff in this kernel is based on the work by faux132 and showp1984 on their HTC Sensation kernel!

thank you all for ur work!

[ requirements ]

[ how to install my kernel ]

1. download the provided kernel image & wifi module (zip file)
    2. save the wifi module (zip file) to external sdcard
    3. reboot device into fastboot mode (adb reboot bootloader)
    4. flash my kernel using (fastboot flash boot kernelname.img)
    5. reboot device (fastboot reboot)
    6. enter recovery (adb reboot recovery)
    7. flash the wifi module (zip file) via recovery (install zip from sdcard)
    8. reboot phone and enjoy the kernel ;)

FOR OVERCLOCKING
    1. start SetCPU/NoFrills CPU Control app on ur device (or any other app which supports overclocking) (u may get a popup asking for SuperUser permissions, click ok/yes/allow)
    2. now slowly increase the MAX slider to the right (one notch at a time) to increase the maximum frequency limit
    3. DO NOT JUMP TO THE LAST POSSIBLE FREQUENCY
    4. SLOWLY increase the frequency one notch at a time and do stability/testing for few hours
    5. during testing never set "SET ON BOOT" option of these apps... u might get stuck in bootloops...

[ my kernel sources ]

https://github.com/DooMLoRD/HTC-JetStream-HC-Kernel

[ donations ]

if u feel that this work has helped u OR u think that the work i put into making this is worthy of donations, then click on the following link for buying me some coffee/beer/etc ;)

PAYPAL DONATION LINK

[ downloads ]

[JetStream] DooMKernel v01 (mirror)
    MD5HASH: dc8093f0b349f14580515e52be7f1fff

Wifi Module (mirror)

icon8.gif

ENJOY!!!
    UC/OC

Just my 2C.

Russ741
    what's the wifi module?

custom kernels need the corresponding wifi module for wifi to work correctly... else u will get error...

if u are not planning to OC then dont worry... the kernel will always boot at 384mhz/1536Mhz (similar to stock speeds)... so if u dont overclock using apps then kernel will never be run at those high clocks :)

though u might be interested in undervolting... CPU Voltage control interface is provided!!!

as i told u earlier:
    >>>
    the kernel will always boot at 384mhz/1536Mhz (similar to stock speeds)... so if u dont overclock using apps then kernel will never be run at those high clocks
    <<<
    I flashed the kernel and then the wifi module, but I am still getting "Error" when trying to enable my wifi. I followed the steps exactly as posted. I came from stock, and have unlocked the bootloader and have root.

Am I missing something?

P.S. The kernel itself is running amazing. I have been able to achieve max OC with no stability issues.

check the kernel version string in About Tablet kernel info