[GUIDE] another way to increase data partition size (non-dualboot)

Search This thread

kurotsugi

Feb 12, 2012
yogyakarta
having a 750mb for data partition like in my previous post seems interesting for everyone. however, make a 2nd rom isn't easy for everyone. there are some people who can't download a rom, which makes dualboot mod useless for them. well...I want to share the joy of having a bigger data partition, so I modify a kernel to enable 2nd ext3 sdcard partition as data partition. for now on lets call this mod **data-2sd**. the steps is quite easy.

preparation step:
1. download a modified kernel from here
2. rename the file to 'boot.img'.
3. repartition your sdcard. all partition is primary. 1st partition fat32. 2nd partition ext3. adjust the partition size to any size you want.

the steps:
1. install the kernel
2. make a blank file named 'bootsdcard' in your root sdcard
3. reboot your device.

notes:
1. this kernel is made based on irfanbagus's kernel. (credits for him)
2. if you already have 2nd partition in your sdcard, please reformat it.
3. don't use link2sd or a2sd.
4. clean you init.d folder (optional)
5. you'll need a fast sdcard for best result. our default sdcard is too slow.

well...thanks for irfanbagus who has make a dualboot kernel for us. as I have said, I modify the kernel based on his work. the modified script is not an efficient one. I have to admit that. feel free to edit the kernel if you don't satisfy with my work.

btw, I realize that not everyone want to use sdcard's 2nd partition, especially when their sdcard is slow and they have to wait till they have enough money to buy a faster one. well...you don't have to uninstall this kernel since I've made an option to turn off data-2sd feature simply by delete 'bootsdcard' from your sdcard. now, it will act as stock DXLC stock kernel with init.d support. when you already have a fast sdcard you can turn on data-2sd feature again by make 'bootsdcard' file in your sdcard.

you could find the modified files here
www.mediafire.com/download.php?cc1kg8s7cx27onb
www.mediafire.com/download.php?0xydu66254ic6yz

DISCLAIMER:
do it with your own risk. no need to thanks or press it. I'm just a noob. give that to the original dev instead.

KNOWN ROM INCOMPATIBILITY ISSUE
============================

please read this before install this kernel. these roms are reported to incompatible with this kernel. some user said it work, but some other said it doesn't work in these rom. to minimilize the risk, I'll list all reported incompatibility issue with my kernel.[/b]

Incompatibility list
1. chobits digital v1.8 and v2
2. m.u.r (merruk ultimate rom) v1

please inform me if you got another incompatibility issue with other custom rom[/quote]

ADDITIONAL STUFF
==============

if your rom incompatible with this kernel you may try this guide to increase your /data partition as well. you'll need a kernel with init.d support to use this method. please read carefully before modify your system.

1. go to system/etc/init.d
2. delete all a2sd and link2sd related stuff
3. create a new file named 01data2sd. put this script inside it
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
unmount /data
mount -t ext3 -o nosuid,nodev /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data
4. set the permission to 777 (rwxrwxrwx)
5. open your terminal manager. type these command.
Code:
su
mkdir /data/sd-ext
mount -t ext3 -o nosuid,nodev /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data/sd-ext
note: its blk-zero-p-two, not blk-O-p2
6. via root explorer go to /data.
7. copy all stuff in /data into /data/sdext.
8. open terminal manager. type these command.
Code:
umount /data/sd-ext
9. restart your device.

if you got bootloop, via adb, type these command
Code:
adb shell
su
mount -o remount rw /system
chmod 222 /system/etc/init.d/*
exit
exit
adb reboot

KNOWN ISSUE: gps not working.

NOTE: the bug is a lil bit annoying for several person. if you want a BETTER-FASTER-BUGLESS-BATTERY FRIENDLY method to save your internal memory, you can use my akuro tweak.

TERM OF USE AND SHARING:
this thread intent is for sharing. feel free to use, edit, distribute all material inside this thread which came from me. if there any parts of this mod which comes not from me please refer to the original dev I've mentioned in this thread. if want to share it to another forum or modify it you don't have to ask my permission. no need to credits, put links or whatsoever. you'll only need to remember that you should held all the responsibility by using this mod, modify it or distribute it. DO IT WITH YOUR OWN RISK

Last edited:

eyjay1991

Dec 7, 2011
www.facebook.com
So this will be my steps?

1. FLash your ROM/CUSTOM ROM
2. Delete the scripts in data/system/init.d via Root Explorer.
3. Make a file name "bootsdcard" in root directory of your sdcard.
Question : What file? .txt? .exe?
4. Flash the Kernel via Odin or other methods.
5. Reboot your device.

So now all my apps are on my SD? or all futured apps are on it?

kurotsugi

Feb 12, 2012
yogyakarta
just a plain file without any extension.

for the second question...this mod will change your data partition to 2nd sdcard ext3 partition. its completely different with a2sd or link2sd since it won't move any installed app in your device. your previous app will remain in your original data partition. when you activate the feature and reboot your phone, it would be like when you turn on the device for the first time.

Reactions: sumitsrk123

Fallen_Knight

Mar 5, 2012
does it support init d tweaksthe kernel is based on what??

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

and what stock rom should i used? what roms have no sd card issues? im using dxlc1..

tandob

Mar 10, 2012
kolkata
Sir. I dont have to modified the custom rom with modified updater-script? I just have to flash the kernel and then custom rom with the formated 1st. Fat32 and 2nd. Ext3. ?

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Tapatalk 2

krishna_nirvana

Feb 2, 2011
Hyderabad
sgy's original data partition size is only 190mb. you can get 1gb or bigger data partition for your device by using this mod.

Now I am using DDLC2 official firmware and my 2nd partition (ext3) size is 1.06 GB,
but I am not using any kernal and other thing, I am using pure official ROM and
rooted my mobile thats all. From lot of months I am using this second partition
with Link2sd app. :):):)

See this attachment

Attachments

• SC20120427-155419.png
    SC20120427-155419.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 678

kurotsugi

Feb 12, 2012
yogyakarta
does it support init d tweaksthe kernel is based on what??

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

and what stock rom should i used? what roms have no sd card issues? im using dxlc1..

it supports init.d script. however, there are some script in init.d which will mount your 2nd partition in different place. its better to remove them before you activate this feature.

it works for both custom and stock rom.

Now I am using DDLC2 official firmware and my 2nd partition (ext3) size is 1.06 GB,
but I am not using any kernal and other thing, I am using pure official ROM and
rooted my mobile thats all. From lot of months I am using this second partition
with Link2sd app. :):):)

See this attachment

thats your choice. however this mod doesn't require any app and you don't have to link your app to to ext partition. when you uninstal link 2sd you'll lose all your app in ext partition.

Sir. I dont have to modified the custom rom with modified updater-script? I just have to flash the kernel and then custom rom with the formated 1st. Fat32 and 2nd. Ext3. ?

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Tapatalk 2

nope. you don't need to install any rom. but make sure that you have a clean 2nd ext partition.

Fallen_Knight

Mar 5, 2012
is it for real?
it supports init.d script. however, there are some script in init.d which will mount your 2nd partition in different place. its better to remove them before you activate this feature.

it works for both custom and stock rom.

thats your choice. however this mod doesn't require any app and you don't have to link your app to to ext partition. when you uninstal link 2sd you'll lose all your app in ext partition.

nope. you don't need to install any rom. but make sure that you have a clean 2nd ext partition.

ok...ill try...i will use
v6 supercharger only

ronnieryan

Jan 9, 2012
Dumaguete
ok, downloading now..will give this a shot

BTW does increasing internal memory with this increase speed a little bit? coz the more internal memory the faster right?

kurotsugi

Feb 12, 2012
yogyakarta
internal memory space doesn't related to device speed. in fact, it will a little bit slower since ext3 partition is slower than rfs. nevertheless, the differences is not significant. and could only seen in benchmarking test.

Reactions: Prabuw

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    having a 750mb for data partition like in my previous post seems interesting for everyone. however, make a 2nd rom isn't easy for everyone. there are some people who can't download a rom, which makes dualboot mod useless for them. well...I want to share the joy of having a bigger data partition, so I modify a kernel to enable 2nd ext3 sdcard partition as data partition. for now on lets call this mod **data-2sd**. the steps is quite easy.

preparation step:
    1. download a modified kernel from here
    2. rename the file to 'boot.img'.
    3. repartition your sdcard. all partition is primary. 1st partition fat32. 2nd partition ext3. adjust the partition size to any size you want.

the steps:
    1. install the kernel
    2. make a blank file named 'bootsdcard' in your root sdcard
    3. reboot your device.

notes:
    1. this kernel is made based on irfanbagus's kernel. (credits for him)
    2. if you already have 2nd partition in your sdcard, please reformat it.
    3. don't use link2sd or a2sd.
    4. clean you init.d folder (optional)
    5. you'll need a fast sdcard for best result. our default sdcard is too slow.

well...thanks for irfanbagus who has make a dualboot kernel for us. as I have said, I modify the kernel based on his work. the modified script is not an efficient one. I have to admit that. feel free to edit the kernel if you don't satisfy with my work.

btw, I realize that not everyone want to use sdcard's 2nd partition, especially when their sdcard is slow and they have to wait till they have enough money to buy a faster one. well...you don't have to uninstall this kernel since I've made an option to turn off data-2sd feature simply by delete 'bootsdcard' from your sdcard. now, it will act as stock DXLC stock kernel with init.d support. when you already have a fast sdcard you can turn on data-2sd feature again by make 'bootsdcard' file in your sdcard.

you could find the modified files here
    www.mediafire.com/download.php?cc1kg8s7cx27onb
    www.mediafire.com/download.php?0xydu66254ic6yz

DISCLAIMER:
    do it with your own risk. no need to thanks or press it. I'm just a noob. give that to the original dev instead.

KNOWN ROM INCOMPATIBILITY ISSUE
    ============================

please read this before install this kernel. these roms are reported to incompatible with this kernel. some user said it work, but some other said it doesn't work in these rom. to minimilize the risk, I'll list all reported incompatibility issue with my kernel.[/b]

Incompatibility list
    1. chobits digital v1.8 and v2
    2. m.u.r (merruk ultimate rom) v1

please inform me if you got another incompatibility issue with other custom rom[/quote]

ADDITIONAL STUFF
    ==============

if your rom incompatible with this kernel you may try this guide to increase your /data partition as well. you'll need a kernel with init.d support to use this method. please read carefully before modify your system.

1. go to system/etc/init.d
    2. delete all a2sd and link2sd related stuff
    3. create a new file named 01data2sd. put this script inside it
    Code:
    #!/system/bin/sh
    unmount /data
    mount -t ext3 -o nosuid,nodev /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data
    4. set the permission to 777 (rwxrwxrwx)
    5. open your terminal manager. type these command.
    Code:
    su
    mkdir /data/sd-ext
    mount -t ext3 -o nosuid,nodev /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data/sd-ext
    note: its blk-zero-p-two, not blk-O-p2
    6. via root explorer go to /data.
    7. copy all stuff in /data into /data/sdext.
    8. open terminal manager. type these command.
    Code:
    umount /data/sd-ext
    9. restart your device.

if you got bootloop, via adb, type these command
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    mount -o remount rw /system
    chmod 222 /system/etc/init.d/*
    exit
    exit
    adb reboot

KNOWN ISSUE: gps not working.

NOTE: the bug is a lil bit annoying for several person. if you want a BETTER-FASTER-BUGLESS-BATTERY FRIENDLY method to save your internal memory, you can use my akuro tweak.

TERM OF USE AND SHARING:
    this thread intent is for sharing. feel free to use, edit, distribute all material inside this thread which came from me. if there any parts of this mod which comes not from me please refer to the original dev I've mentioned in this thread. if want to share it to another forum or modify it you don't have to ask my permission. no need to credits, put links or whatsoever. you'll only need to remember that you should held all the responsibility by using this mod, modify it or distribute it. DO IT WITH YOUR OWN RISK
    you can use it but it will perform better with faster sdcard.
    Just follow this for use with corbit v2.

0.1. Flash stock rom

0.1.1 delete old pertition and make a new ext2 pertition with minimum 750mb.

1. install corbit v2 as the instruction in there in dev page.

1.1. Open terminal emulator and type
    su
    a2sd remove

2.After succefully rebooted put this file http://db.tt/NH2dxyUq
    in /system/etc/int.d and make rwxrwxrwx permission via root explorer. No need to delete anything.

3.Go to terminal emulator and type

su
    mkdir /data/sdext
    mount -t ext2 -o nosuid,nodev /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data/sdext
    Then go to /data/sdext and delete all in it.

Then go to /data and copy all file and folder except ^sdext^ folder and peste it in /data/sdext

4.Then go to terminal emulator and type

su
    umount /data/sdext

Maybe it shows ^failed^ . Dont worry. Just restart your device.
    Note: make 2nd pertition of sdcard like ^ext2^.
    So this will be my steps?

1. FLash your ROM/CUSTOM ROM
    2. Delete the scripts in data/system/init.d via Root Explorer.
    3. Make a file name "bootsdcard" in root directory of your sdcard.
    Question : What file? .txt? .exe?
    4. Flash the Kernel via Odin or other methods.
    5. Reboot your device.

So now all my apps are on my SD? or all futured apps are on it?
    so it will show 750mb not 190mb?

it depends on your partition size. you can make it 750mb, 1gb, or any size you want.