HTC One x screen shattered

Search This thread

kungfudavie

May 18, 2012
Hi Guys,

First post post and its a sad one.

Word of warning to some of you guys with the one x.
I had some major screen issues when i first got my device (preordered) and i spoke to htc about the issues i was having flickering, green lines, touch issues and all the heat that the phone was generating.

I was in the cinema the other night and was texting during the copious and irrelevant adverts that accompany any film and i turned to speak to my friend and when i pressed the unlock button i discovered my screen had shattered.

I dont know wether this was a one off manufacturing error or wether it was related to the issues i was having before but a word of warning as i dont want it happening to someone else as it has taken me a while to get a new phone issued. Mine will be going to HTC for investigation no doubt. Thankfully my retailer was reasonable in the end, and when they found out i had already reported a screen fault to HTC the imediately offered a swap out.

Its not a shatter from any particular point, it just seemed to shatter from the middle out.

Before anyone comments saying you must have pressed too hard, i use my fingers for pointing and touching and dont yell "by the power of greyskull" before using my phone.

So if you are still having banding, or non responsive screen issues of anykind be careful. I hope this is a one off, but if it hapens to someone else at least you know your not the only one.

Attachments

• IMG-20120518-00022.jpg
    IMG-20120518-00022.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 3,042
Reactions: Reckless187

n1kon

Mar 21, 2006
Pressure from the pocket maybe. Ive worked in the mobile industry for 8 years and have never known a screen to pop so to speak. Very strange. Could be an assembly issue with the glass slightly over sized but would still need a knock to set it off.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

craigiefaehk

May 15, 2012
another cracked screen

My screen cracked when I performed a rather bad magic trick by putting my phone in my front pocket and when I took it out the screen was cracked. To say I was disappointed would be a bit of a understatement.
On contacting HTC they now say that as I unlocked the boot loader not only do I have to pay for a new screen ( I would argue any phone that cant be put in a pocket of your trousers with out cracking is not fit for purpose ) but worse as I had unlocked the bootloader that I would have to pay for a new mother board as well.

I would understand having to pay for a new screen but having to pay for a new motherboard and screen does not sit well with me. If they had said that I would have pay for the screen and done nothing else on the phone and that I would have had no warranty I would have been ok with that

kungfudavie

May 18, 2012
mox: thankyou for implying im deluded, i will take your kind words onboard

I didnt actually put my phone back in my pocket, i have never dropped it and had a full case on it from the word go. I cant see how or why this would happen and would hope its a one off an the build quality seems good and after the updates the phone works really well.

Im hoping this was a one in a million situation that wont occur for anyone else, but i thought just in case, HTC couldnt deny it had happened before.

surfer1000

May 9, 2012
Wirral
So I'm not the only one then who takes my air pistol into cinemas to shoot at the phones that annoy the hell out of me when they should be TURNED OFF!

I've tried doing the same when im flying to people who never listen when the pilot tells you to refrain from using electronic devices, I just can't get it through customs! ;)

Reactions: detcup4evr

jonathanyong

Nov 8, 2010
Glasgow
www.pewpewgaming.com
It's much more likely that you applied too much pressure on the screen by accidentally pressing it against the arm rest or something else nearby while you were distracted.

Ockham's razor, the glass isn't under any load stress so it's impossible for it to suddenly fracture. And if it did, you would have heard a loud cracking noise. Pressure must have been applied. Either that or you dropped it and now you're trolling. Sorry, but I really find it difficult to believe in spontaneous shattering of a phone's screen...

Reactions: maxilick

kungfudavie

May 18, 2012
It's much more likely that you applied too much pressure on the screen by accidentally pressing it against the arm rest or something else nearby while you were distracted.

Ockham's razor, the glass isn't under any load stress so it's impossible for it to suddenly fracture. And if it did, you would have heard a loud cracking noise. Pressure must have been applied. Either that or you dropped it and now you're trolling. Sorry, but I really find it difficult to believe in spontaneous shattering of a phone's screen...

Im not trolling, just saying what happened. Thats all. Im not trying to get you guys to believe or disbelive me. Thats what happened to me. Im hoping to get something back from htc when they get it back

farnsbarns

Mar 14, 2009
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I'm sure there's a lot of people who won't believe this story. They key, however, to communicating online is this. Apply these simple rules before you post and you'll be doing very well.

1) does what I'm about to say need to be said (does it benefit anyone)?

2) does it need to be said right now?

3) does is need to be said by me?

If the answer to any of these is "no" then probably best not to say it at all.

If someone says something you don't believe to be true but it is not hurting anyone I would generally suggest letting it go. just my twopen'th.

duty_calls.png

kungfudavie

May 18, 2012
I'm sure there's a lot of people who won't believe this story. They key, however, to communicating online is this. Apply these simple rules before you post and you'll be doing very well.

1) does what I'm about to say need to be said (does it benefit anyone)?

2) does it need to be said right now?

3) does is need to be said by me?

If the answer to any of these is "no" then probably best not to say it at all.

If someone says something you don't believe to be true but it is not hurting anyone I would generally suggest letting it go. just my twopen'th.

"LOL"ing

festa20

Jan 6, 2011
Barnsley
I scratched the shot out of my phone other day
My question is does the one x have a screen protector on it

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

festa20

Jan 6, 2011
Barnsley
It doesn't really matter if the screen has a screen protector on it or not. If someone took a baseball bat and smashed your screen, with or with no screen protector, it will still shatter.

Yea but am saying i scratched my one x and want to know if it has one on so o can take it off
U get me now

Sent from my LT15i using xda premium

mrt159

May 3, 2012
There is no screen protector pre-installed as far as I can tell from looking at my device.

tkolev

Sep 26, 2008
Sofia
Yea but am saying i scratched my one x and want to know if it has one on so o can take it off
U get me now

There is a screen protector on if you had put it on. Asking is if your phone has screen protector is... strange.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

nicholaschum

Substratum Development Leader / Inactive RT
Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
U get me now

If you meant you scratched your screen without knowing for a fact you placed a screen protector on it yourself AFTER taking off the "I'm the ONE you've been waiting for" sticker, then no, you don't have a screen protector.

Easiest way to check is to get a piece of tape, tape it on the screen and peel.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Pressure from the pocket maybe. Ive worked in the mobile industry for 8 years and have never known a screen to pop so to speak. Very strange. Could be an assembly issue with the glass slightly over sized but would still need a knock to set it off.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Hi Guys,

First post post and its a sad one.

Word of warning to some of you guys with the one x.
    I had some major screen issues when i first got my device (preordered) and i spoke to htc about the issues i was having flickering, green lines, touch issues and all the heat that the phone was generating.

I was in the cinema the other night and was texting during the copious and irrelevant adverts that accompany any film and i turned to speak to my friend and when i pressed the unlock button i discovered my screen had shattered.

I dont know wether this was a one off manufacturing error or wether it was related to the issues i was having before but a word of warning as i dont want it happening to someone else as it has taken me a while to get a new phone issued. Mine will be going to HTC for investigation no doubt. Thankfully my retailer was reasonable in the end, and when they found out i had already reported a screen fault to HTC the imediately offered a swap out.

Its not a shatter from any particular point, it just seemed to shatter from the middle out.

Before anyone comments saying you must have pressed too hard, i use my fingers for pointing and touching and dont yell "by the power of greyskull" before using my phone.

So if you are still having banding, or non responsive screen issues of anykind be careful. I hope this is a one off, but if it hapens to someone else at least you know your not the only one.
    So I'm not the only one then who takes my air pistol into cinemas to shoot at the phones that annoy the hell out of me when they should be TURNED OFF!

I've tried doing the same when im flying to people who never listen when the pilot tells you to refrain from using electronic devices, I just can't get it through customs! ;)

If you meant you scratched your screen without knowing for a fact you placed a screen protector on it yourself AFTER taking off the "I'm the ONE you've been waiting for" sticker, then no, you don't have a screen protector.

Easiest way to check is to get a piece of tape, tape it on the screen and peel.

Yea most phones have it on and didn't know if there was one on it like other phones cheers

Sent from my LT26i using xda premium