Testers wanted for PeerDeviceNet -sharing thru wifi, wifi direct and mobile hotspot

Search This thread

peerdevicenet

Oct 11, 2012
!!! updated 12/28/2012: add code to detect and use mobile hotspot to enable sharing among devices !!!

I'd like to invite people to participate an open testing session for app "PeerDeviceNet - sharing thru WiFi and WiFi-Direct".

It runs on android 2.2 and above. It is free at google play:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xconns.free.peerdevicenet

I have done tests using Nexus 7, Samsung Tab 2.0, Kindle fire(1gen), Galaxy Vibrant. I'd like more complete coverage of devices and vendors.

It supports 4 kinds of device-device connections:
1. for devices at the same wifi net: start PeerDeviceNet at devices simultaneously will allow them find and connect to each other automatically.
2. for devices which are all wifi direct enabled: from system preferences, you can setup wifi direct group connection; PeerDeviceNet will pick up this group info and connect devices in group automatically.
3. if only one device is wifi direct enabled: you can use PeerDeviceNet to create a softwareAP/hotspot at this device (PeerDeviceNet->Connection settings->Create wifi direct hotspot), other wifi devices can use generated ssid and passphrase to connect.
4. for devices with mobile hotspot, you can use mobile hotspot to connect devices and enable sharing.

It extends android's "share/send" feature to allow sharing of the following data:
1. photos/videos (single or multiple) (gallery), audios(astro, solid-browser, or other browsers)
2. web pages (browsers)
3. contact info(Contacts)
4. pdf, word docs (astro or other file managers)
5. apps (google play)

I'll highly appreciate it if you can spend some time installing the app and try out some of the above scenarios. If you encounter Force Closure, please post your device info, android version, or ROM info.

Thanks!

Last edited:

CDeviant

Oct 1, 2012
This works fantastically between all of my devices, ranging from Ginger Bread, Honey Comb, and Jelly Bean.
WiFi hotspot also works very well.

This really is a handy app, something like this should definitely be implemented into base Android. Sharing files between devices that have NFC is a breeze, but legacy devices can be troublesome. This is an excellent solution for both worlds.

Last edited:
B

B.Jay

Installed and gave it a test drive.

Works perfectly on our Galaxy S III, Galaxy S II, Galaxy Tab 10.1, Xperia X8, Packard Bell Liberty Tab G100 and Wildfire S - after adding the devices manually. For some unknown reason they don't see each other, though the local LAN has no restrictions put into place.

Narhim

Jul 10, 2011
Hi, I´ve been testing this between SGN2 N7100 (Stock Rooted) and MyTouch 4g Slide (CM9.1 R8) and it works great (no FC etc.)
I have several questions though:

a) I´d like to buy you a beer. There is a paid version but that one is far behind the free one in updates...
b) chat works great (as long as I have signal. but within a flat its mostly great). Will there be an implementation into the full version?
c) if I buy the full version, will you be updating it?

Thanks! Keep it up!

EDIT: seems to me that your app fights with anyconnect VPN (even if that one is running in background I get FC from anyconnect and superuser permissions asked all time... I´ll look into the behavior a bit closer if I find some time) else everything works good.

EDIT: after reinstall of anyconnect it works flawlessly. Keep it up!

Last edited:

eonix

Nov 4, 2010
File Expert by Geek Software Technology

I have been using File Expert to do similar things... perhaps I don't understand this program's full benefits or potential. FE also connects via bluetooth and runs both a web and FTP server.

FractalSphere

Oct 21, 2009
Chicago
www.doublecluepon.com
Downloaded and tried it..

I have a GS3 that it seems to work on, and a Nook color (the original one) from like 2 years ago running CM7 that it just gives a black screen on. I can use the regular wifi connect from the Nook and connect to the hotspot from your PeerDeviceNet but there's no sharing of data back and forth, unfortunately. If the app worked on both I'm sure it'd be much better, but I don't suspect the older Nooks will be a big percentage of your users. ;)

peerdevicenet

Oct 11, 2012
issues related to peer discovery

Installed and gave it a test drive.

Works perfectly on our Galaxy S III, Galaxy S II, Galaxy Tab 10.1, Xperia X8, Packard Bell Liberty Tab G100 and Wildfire S - after adding the devices manually. For some unknown reason they don't see each other, though the local LAN has no restrictions put into place.

Thanks for your feedback. The failure to see peer devices in LAN could be related to one issue i fixed in the latest release; please give it a try.
Also PeerDeviceNet's "search and connect" is based on peer-peer "pairing": no one is acting as server and waiting for other clients. All participating peer devices must start search at same time or in same short time period so that they can find each other. If one peer finished its searching when a new peer starts searching, the new one cannot see the one just finished. It is for security reason.

Regards

Yigong
XCONNS LLC

peerdevicenet

Oct 11, 2012
a) I´d like to buy you a beer. There is a paid version but that one is far behind the free one in updates...
b) chat works great (as long as I have signal. but within a flat its mostly great). Will there be an implementation into the full version?
c) if I buy the full version, will you be updating it?

I am working on refactoring code and bug fixing for the full edition. Thanks for your feedback.

Regards

Yigong
XCONNS LLC

peerdevicenet

Oct 11, 2012
compare to file expert

I have been using File Expert to do similar things... perhaps I don't understand this program's full benefits or potential. FE also connects via bluetooth and runs both a web and FTP server.

File expert is a powerful browser with many nice features. PeerDeviceNet is a totally different creature.

As a app, it plainly extends android native "sharing" protocol (send/send_multiple) to connected devices, to allow you share content from one device to another. (As a framework, it provides the components and runtime to support connected mobile apps). It has minimal GUI to support connecting devices and monitoring send/recv sessions. It has strong support for connecting multiple devices, run multiple concurrent send/recv sessions, and running in background.

So normally you will use your favorite apps to browse/view content, and when you want to share the content with another device, you hit "share" button and PeerDeviceNet will be there to help connect to other devices.

So you can use Astro file manager or Solid explorer with PeerDeviceNet to share files across devices similar to file expert.

Also PeerDeviceNet allows you share contact info, web links, or apps from google play to connected devices.

Regards
Yigong

There is "shutdown" button for that : "Connection settings" -> "Shutdown". It will shut down all background services and clean up notifications.

Regards

Yigong

Mmm, too many button presses to get there. It would be easier to have a "Shutdown" button in the notification shade. Otherwise well done! I tested sharing files between LG Optimus 3D (p920) and Xperia Mini (st15i) connected on the same LAN. Everything worked fine.

keenofhiphop

Jul 30, 2012
Can one add a function to "tether" a hotspot? but from wifi and not from 3g?
This would be really awsome.
Greets

Sent from my Xperia X10 using xda app-developers app

Narhim

Jul 10, 2011
Yo so I got the full version. The lite is good but wanted to buy you a beer... Managed to transfer 4gb of data in few minutes between my and friends Samsung phone (unfortunately in 3 steps because of the data amount limit). Very useful, the chat also works good.
When will we see full version updated with chat and unlimited data transfer?
Thanks

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

peerdevicenet

Oct 11, 2012
tether to wifi router

Can one add a function to "tether" a hotspot? but from wifi and not from 3g?
This would be really awsome.
Greets

Not sure this will really help. because when connecting to PeeerDeviceNet hotspot, we already use wifi connection, so why not just connect to external wifi router directly?

Regards
yigong

peerdevicenet

Oct 11, 2012
unlimited capacity

Yo so I got the full version. The lite is good but wanted to buy you a beer... Managed to transfer 4gb of data in few minutes between my and friends Samsung phone (unfortunately in 3 steps because of the data amount limit). Very useful, the chat also works good.
Thanks

Thanks for using PeerDeviceNet and offering beer. I am still working on the full edition. For now i removed the limit of transfer capacity. Please chek out the new release at google play. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xconns.free.peerdevicenet

Regards
Yigong

Reactions: Narhim

rohanpatkar

Oct 22, 2011
Mumbai
SonyVaio+Htc Salsa=possible?

While my sony laptop has wifi direct facility my htc salsa lacks one and just has traditional wifi and wifi hotspot facility...how do i connect bothe these devices for transferring the data to and fro?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    !!! updated 12/28/2012: add code to detect and use mobile hotspot to enable sharing among devices !!!

I'd like to invite people to participate an open testing session for app "PeerDeviceNet - sharing thru WiFi and WiFi-Direct".

It runs on android 2.2 and above. It is free at google play:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xconns.free.peerdevicenet

I have done tests using Nexus 7, Samsung Tab 2.0, Kindle fire(1gen), Galaxy Vibrant. I'd like more complete coverage of devices and vendors.

It supports 4 kinds of device-device connections:
    1. for devices at the same wifi net: start PeerDeviceNet at devices simultaneously will allow them find and connect to each other automatically.
    2. for devices which are all wifi direct enabled: from system preferences, you can setup wifi direct group connection; PeerDeviceNet will pick up this group info and connect devices in group automatically.
    3. if only one device is wifi direct enabled: you can use PeerDeviceNet to create a softwareAP/hotspot at this device (PeerDeviceNet->Connection settings->Create wifi direct hotspot), other wifi devices can use generated ssid and passphrase to connect.
    4. for devices with mobile hotspot, you can use mobile hotspot to connect devices and enable sharing.

It extends android's "share/send" feature to allow sharing of the following data:
    1. photos/videos (single or multiple) (gallery), audios(astro, solid-browser, or other browsers)
    2. web pages (browsers)
    3. contact info(Contacts)
    4. pdf, word docs (astro or other file managers)
    5. apps (google play)

I'll highly appreciate it if you can spend some time installing the app and try out some of the above scenarios. If you encounter Force Closure, please post your device info, android version, or ROM info.

Thanks!
    unlimited capacity

Thanks

Thanks for using PeerDeviceNet and offering beer. I am still working on the full edition. For now i removed the limit of transfer capacity. Please chek out the new release at google play. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xconns.free.peerdevicenet

Regards
    Yigong