[RESOURCES] How to Root, Unlock, ROMs, Recovery, Tips & more [VIDEO TUTORIALS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

djR3Z

Mar 9, 2010
Austin, TX
TheDroidDemos.com
Whats up Infinity forum! I'll be gathering all important how to guides (including my own video tutorials), available ROMs, tips, and other videos and threads in this thread. Let me know if you want anything added in!

Development (Rooting/Unrooting):

ROMs:

Recovery:

Tips and Miscellaneous:

Last edited:

d14b0ll0s

Sep 4, 2011
Great idea!
After the initial phase of testing the recovery and bootloader, it would be nice to know if/how it's possible to have a multi-boot menu on start with it.
I've posted some tips here in case you want to include it.

djR3Z

Mar 9, 2010
Austin, TX
TheDroidDemos.com
Reactions: leroybrute

wily5150

Apr 8, 2011
Holiday, Florida
How exactly do you use the root tool? I downloaded it, installed adb, is working perfectly, now do I install the .bat file on the tablet, or do I use my computer to run some commands ?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
How exactly do you use the root tool? I downloaded it, installed adb, is working perfectly, now do I install the .bat file on the tablet, or do I use my computer to run some commands ?

You run the batch file from your PC, which your tab is connected to it via USB.

pixel-painter

Jan 9, 2009
Seattle
I don't mean to be a ****, but how is this thread any different than http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1734005?

I don't mean to be a **** either, but you haven't really posted much info in the thread, there are just place holders for info to follow. The thread title is misleading as I thought someone had figured out how to un-root the device.
It would seem to me that if you are going to post a thread with HOWTO in the title, there should be a HOWTO in here. ;)

Sent from my brain to my hand to XDA

Last edited:

d14b0ll0s

Sep 4, 2011
Unrooting is actually pretty simple, basically you need to remove 'su' and clean your system from things like BusyBox (if installed) from /system/bin/ or xbin and remove Superuser.apk.

But I agree that this thread is just no good at this point.

ishamm

Sep 7, 2011
how would you go about removing SU and BusyBox etc, as i need to root my device to back up a faulty unit, then unroot to send it back for replacement. could you explain a bit more?

xPSYCHOTRONx

Mar 31, 2011
I cant get the root method to work. I have a problem were even though the drivers are installed when i plug it in it says error installing drivers. then in "other Devices" in device manager it pops up with yellow triangle. But in "portable devices" it shows the tablet there. I have tried uninstalling the other devices version and checking drivers on the one located in portable devices and vice versa with no luck. Any suggestions?

icanfly77

Aug 1, 2011
So unlocking the bootloader just allows you to install custom ROMS?

And rooting alows you to gain root access but do you need to unlock bootloader before you can root. Or can you just have the rooted kernel only and not bothering unlocking boot loader and staying on stock?

If you want to unlock bootloader and install custom rom do you have to be rooted or I guess custom rom will already included a rooted kernel?

Thanks!

d14b0ll0s

Sep 4, 2011

And rooting alows you to gain root access but do you need to unlock bootloader before you can root. Or can you just have the rooted kernel only and not bothering unlocking boot loader and staying on stock?

If you want to unlock bootloader and install custom rom do you have to be rooted or I guess custom rom will already included a rooted kernel?

Thanks!

The first part is correct. As to the second:
- you don't need to unlock bootloader before rooting, although you need to root to make use of an unlocked bootloader unless you intend to flash recovery through adb (I'm not sure if it works on the Infinity this way)
- you're not rooting the kernel, the kernel remains the same, all Linux/Android kernels have to allow root access, it's just that in stock firmware there is no "su" and rooting pushes it to your /system partition along with installing Superuser.apk (this one goes to data partition, as do other apps)

So basically you need to be rooted and unlocked to install custom ROM, but flashing any ROM or firmware will entirely or partially wipe your /system partition, where "su" is stored (nothing to do with the kernel). So you need to flash recovery from stock rooted ROM (stock firmware) and then most ROMs will have "su" included, so that you won't have to go through rooting process all over again with every ROM.

Hope this answers your doubts.

alienedd

Jul 1, 2009
NW Florida

Thanks!

Let me see if I can organize things a bit as I think you might be a bit confused with lingo and operation.

Your system has basically 3 subsystems for you to worry about: Bootloader, Firmware/ROM, Custom Recovery. The Bootloader is the first thing that runs and controls access to the other 2 subsystems. If you want to change either of those subsystems, the bootloader has to allow it. Making the bootloader allow it is called "unlocking". When the bootloader transfers the processing to the Firmware/ROM, you can then run applications. Some applications require access to particular system resources that, by default, they don't have permission to and you don't have the ability to give that permission to them. For you to be able to give them that permission is called "rooting". When you "get root", you can give them this permission they require. This allows the system to do things that it normally couldn't do because resources are now available that weren't before.

So Bootloader controls how the Firmware/ROM and custom recovery work and "Root" controls what types of permissions that the system applications have access to.

Now, re-read what d14b0ll0s said as it is important. Hopefully, this information should get you in the right mindset.

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
I've run this rooting tool several times and I get zeros in the proper places, indicating that I have root, but after the last reboot, there is no root. What am I doing wrong?
I received the 26 update OTA. Could that be why I can't get root? is there any remedy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts