[REF] [GUIDE] Welcome to your device, the Galaxy S III

Search This thread

jtl_777

Dec 24, 2010
ATL
Still have a yellow triangle!

Hey I did these steps to the T and I am completely stock rom and recovery without root and triangle away worked but I have one problem... okay when you use triangle away it sets your counter back to 0... but when you flash the stock rom via odin doesn't it trip the counter again? :confused: now I dont have root anymore and when I go into download mode there is still a yellow triangle. However in settings > about device it no longer says system modified, it says Normal.. Is the triangle in download mode the triangle that alerts Samsung of a hardware flash or is it a warning for us that says not to load one cause its dangerous? Thanks

Exel

Dec 31, 2010
Southern California
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Hey I did these steps to the T and I am completely stock rom and recovery without root and triangle away worked but I have one problem... okay when you use triangle away it sets your counter back to 0... but when you flash the stock rom via odin doesn't it trip the counter again? :confused: now I dont have root anymore and when I go into download mode there is still a yellow triangle. However in settings > about device it no longer says system modified, it says Normal.. Is the triangle in download mode the triangle that alerts Samsung of a hardware flash or is it a warning for us that says not to load one cause its dangerous? Thanks

If you want root and keep your counter at 0, flash this using ODIN: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1771687

Flashing a pure stock ROM that was officially released by Samsung does not trip the counter.

Download mode is suppose to have a little triangle, our devices don't have the triangle that shows it's modified, it's only the counter.

The counter is used by Samsung in case your phone ever gets messed up and you want to send it to warranty, they can void your warranty because the counter has been tripped.

jtl_777

Dec 24, 2010
ATL
If you want root and keep your counter at 0, flash this using ODIN: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1771687

Flashing a pure stock ROM that was officially released by Samsung does not trip the counter.

Download mode is suppose to have a little triangle, our devices don't have the triangle that shows it's modified, it's only the counter.

The counter is used by Samsung in case your phone ever gets messed up and you want to send it to warranty, they can void your warranty because the counter has been tripped.

Okay so I'm safe. I used triangle away to reset my counter, wiped my custom rom, flashed the original stock firmware and recovery so now I'm good? sorry for just restating what you said haha I just want to clarify. :)

rage913

Aug 5, 2011
Florida
I know that this might see might seem kind of dumb, but I was curious as to times waiting between a copy/paste of your clockwork Mod data. Im moving the whole folder over to my personal hd and its taking for freaking ever. I was curious if this is A. Normal and B. if there is just one simple file i need to back up every time i want to flash a new Rom? Ive already moved my titanium backup over so im set on my apps, but I want to make sure ive got all my bases covered. thanks guys :laugh:

Exel

Dec 31, 2010
Southern California
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I know that this might see might seem kind of dumb, but I was curious as to times waiting between a copy/paste of your clockwork Mod data. Im moving the whole folder over to my personal hd and its taking for freaking ever. I was curious if this is A. Normal and B. if there is just one simple file i need to back up every time i want to flash a new Rom? Ive already moved my titanium backup over so im set on my apps, but I want to make sure ive got all my bases covered. thanks guys :laugh:

Did you make a NANDROID backup? Is that what you're transfering to your desktop?
If not, there's no real need to backup your clockworkmod folder/data.

Things suggested to backup:
NANDROID (Full backup of your ROM, including /system and /data)
Titanium Backup (For apps) (Not suggested if you're going to a completely different based ROM)
Full NV Backup (Holds your IMEI, IMSI, Data settings and much more!)

Not sure what else?

Reactions: rage913

rage913

Aug 5, 2011
Florida
So all I need to do is go into my internal> clockworkmod> backup> then my latest back up (named it ICS October 23 I'm still stock) and that's the only thing I need? I have my TiB folder moved and linked to my Dropbox. So I'm good on that front. As far as the Imie I don't know how to back that up? Where would I go about doing that? Going back to a really nooby question. Go into recovery mode >backup/restore> backup to do a nandroid of the current rom correct? And that should be like the first thing once a rom is flashed and stable? Thanks guys. Appreciate it.
Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

Woody

Retired Admin - Vacationing in Nanda Parbat
Nov 18, 2010
Immersed in Dark Matter
So all I need to do is go into my internal> clockworkmod> backup> then my latest back up (named it ICS October 23 I'm still stock) and that's the only thing I need?
Yes

As far as the Imie I don't know how to back that up? Where would I go about doing that?
You can find info re: IMEI here

Going back to a really nooby question. Go into recovery mode >backup/restore> backup to do a nandroid of the current rom correct?
Correct

Reactions: rage913 and Exel

Five10legacy

Oct 24, 2012
San Francisco
Flashed the original stock firmware, meaning you used ODIN to do so, right?

How did you flash your recovery? Rom Mananger or via ODIN?

To Flash Recovery you use Odin but you can also download Goo manager and Rom manager from the Google play store and install them that way. You will need to have root access to do this. If this is your first time flashing then Odin will be your best bet.
For flashing custom roms you do that threw the recovery.

chassy_8o9

Jun 4, 2012
hello XDA, i recieve a SGS3 model SGH-T999. its rooted and CWM recovery, i want to know what i need to unlock it and to flash the touch CWM or the 4EXT touch (prefer 4EXT) and what do i need to flash a custom ROM, frimwares and all of that? i mean, if there something else than put files into the micro SD and flash it? just dont want to brick this beauty.... I'm no newbie flashing things, but I am newbie with SGS3....thanks in advance.

Last edited:

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
hello XDA, i recieve a SGS3 model SGH-T999. its rooted and CWM recovery, i want to know what i need to unlock it and to flash the touch CWM or the 4EXT touch (prefer 4EXT) and what do i need to flash a custom ROM, frimwares and all of that? i mean, if there something else than put files into the micro SD and flash it? just dont want to brick this beauty.... I'm no newbie flashing things, but I am newbie with SGS3....thanks in advance.

You'd only need to unlock the phone if you're going to use it on another network. If you mean unlocking the bootloader, its not locked!
As far as I'm aware, the only recoveries available to us are CWM and TWRP. Both are good but I highly recommend TWRP. Easiest way to install is through GooManager app. Or if you prefer, here is a flashable zip.
http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=9390169635556425765

For most custom roms, you just flash as you normally would. Check the thread next to this one.
For firmware, I suggest you check my thread for all fw and instructions.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1949687

Good luck!

Reactions: chassy_8o9

chassy_8o9

Jun 4, 2012
You'd only need to unlock the phone if you're going to use it on another network. If you mean unlocking the bootloader, its not locked!
As far as I'm aware, the only recoveries available to us are CWM and TWRP. Both are good but I highly recommend TWRP. Easiest way to install is through GooManager app. Or if you prefer, here is a flashable zip.
http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=9390169635556425765

For most custom roms, you just flash as you normally would. Check the thread next to this one.
For firmware, I suggest you check my thread for all fw and instructions.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1949687

Good luck!

im in another network, so i will need to unlock this phone.... where i can find the correct way to do it. thank you mate and thanks in advance!

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
I don't really know that much aboutit, never having had to look into it myself.

What I do know is if you are a current Tmobile customer you can call support and ask for the unlock code. Tell them you're leaving the country for a few weeks. Some people who haven't been with tmobile long have said you may need to call several times before you find someone willing to give you the code.

Otherwise, you will have to buy the unlock code. I think you can get it pretty cheap on ebay.

As far as I know, there is no other way to achieve this right now.
Hope that helps!

Reactions: chassy_8o9

chassy_8o9

Jun 4, 2012
I don't really know that much aboutit, never having had to look into it myself.

What I do know is if you are a current Tmobile customer you can call support and ask for the unlock code. Tell them you're leaving the country for a few weeks. Some people who haven't been with tmobile long have said you may need to call several times before you find someone willing to give you the code.

Otherwise, you will have to buy the unlock code. I think you can get it pretty cheap on ebay.

As far as I know, there is no other way to achieve this right now.
Hope that helps!

thanks bro i will check that out later, for now i will use ur threat to flash firmwares and then a good rom/kernel...

elreaver

Jan 26, 2006
I have a n00b question, but I assume this would be the best spot to ask.
I picked up a SGS3 model SPH L710 for T-Mobile.

It appears that most (if not all) of the SGS3 T-Mobile models are SGH-T999.

Got this from TigerDirect. Browsing the forums it looks like the L710 is for Sprint and T999 is T-Mob.
Any one else on T-Mob using a SPH-L710?

Based on the model number, I guess I should use the Sprint threads posted to root properly correct?

Thanks in advance.

elreaver

Jan 26, 2006
Disregard my n00b question.
I hadn't received the device yet, so I couldn't look at it.
Vendor was an id10t and had no clue what they were telling me.

rogerperk

Aug 11, 2010
North Carolina
I am running JB and what I'd like to do is have a nice desktop when I plug my phone in during the day. I use Kaoler Clock for the night and thats a great program BTW. The existing clock program in Apps is fine but I can't seem to get that to work automatically when I plug it in, only when I turn it on first. I have the Dock thing checked but that does't do what I need apparently. Any suggestions?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Welcome to your device. The Samsung Galaxy S III (T-Mobile, Wind, Mobilicity, Videotron) is a great device! Why don't we learn about it before we go any further?

Samsung-Galaxy-S-III-T999-mc2.png

Other names associated with this device:
    • SGS3
    • Galaxy S3
    • T-999
    • T-999[v]

This device is NOT a:
    • GT-I9300
    • SGH-I747
    • SCH-I535

Device Specs:
    Frequencies / Bands: UMTS 850/1900/1700/2100; GSM 850/900/1800/1900
    Display Resolution: 720 x 1280 Super AMOLED
    Screen Size: 4.8" 16M Colour
    Bluetooth Enabled: Yes
    Wi-Fi Enabled: Yes
    Internal Memory: 16GB
    External Memory: microSD Support up to 64GB
    Size / Dimensions: 136.6 mm x 70.6 mm x 8.6 mm
    Weight: 133g
    Battery Life: 2100mAh
    Operating System: Android 4.0
    Keyboard: Touch Screen
    GPS: Yes
    Camera: 8MP

Unique Features:
    • S Beam
    • Screen Share
    • S Voice
    • Smart Stay
    • Extended Gesture UX/Motion
    • Pop-up Play
    • Burst Photo
    • Best Photo

Great! What Android versions can be ran on this phone?

Ice Cream Sandwich - 4.0.4 based, there is a couple edited TouchWiz ROMs.

JellyBean - All are experimental but run pretty well, may be glitch at times. CM10, Leaked TouchWiz Versions and now an official one.

Cool, but I'm a noob, what should I start off with?

My suggestion to you is for you to run some ICS TouchWiz ROMs to get you comfortable with the flashing, nandroiding, tweaking processes and then move on to something else. Above all read and search.

Okay, I see.. but I don't quite understand what flashing, nandroiding, tweaking, etc. mean?

* - anything and everything possible. A good example would be "All my friends live at 10* Croxley Street." This is saying that they are all live at 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108 and 109.

Dev - See developer.

Developer - A man or woman who has created (developed) software.

ROM - 1. A modified version of the Android operating system operating system. 2. Read Only Memory, a place where information is stored and can not be destroyed, modified or written to.

AOSP - "Android open source project" a project by Google Inc. to give android to developers and manufactures for free (see open-source)

Open-source - (not to be confussed with free) A peice of software that is free to edit, use, distribute and share with no charge.

CM - See cyanogenmod

Cyanogenmod - A free open-source project based on the AOSP. It is a modded (see modded) version of the Android firmware

Firmware - see ROM (1)

Stock - An unchanged version of something. Example: I just flashed stock sense

OTA - "Over the air" a term used to indicate software that was sent to phones directly through the internet to their phones.

FOTA - "Firmware over the air" this normally refers to ROM's but can refer to radio firmware (see OTA)

Firmware - a piece of software to make hardware function correctly. This can refer to Radio Firmware, but is normally used as another name for ROM (1)

Radio - (not to be confused with Radio Firmware) A piece of hardware that allows communication. There are 3 main radios in your phone. Bluetooth, WiFi and GSM/CDMA.

Radio Firmware - (see firmware) a type of software that allows correct communication with the radio and the operating system. A newer firmware would normally improve battery life and call quality. The radio firmware only applies to the CDMA/GSM radio.

CDMA/GSM - A type of network communication between phones and carriers. GSM phones normally are included with SIM Cards that authorize them onto the network. CDMA have this authorization built in and do not need a sim card.

Kernel - An important part of all operating systems that handles the CPU and other vital components. A modded kernel may be used for overclocking.

Overclock - (not to be confused with underclock) to exced the default maximum CPU speed. This could make a phone more powerful but may cause damage. Although no damaged has been reported so far it could still drain battery life.

Underclock - to change your phones maximum frequency to LOWER than the default to attempt to extend the phones lifespan and battery.

Mod - A modification to a part of the phones software. It is also POSSIBLE to mod the phones hardware but is not recommended.

Modding - To perform a mod

Modded - to have included mods

Modification - see mod

Governor - a system embedded into the kernel to automatically change the current working CPU frequency depending on the workload. It would only go up to what it is overclocked (or underclocked) to, this is called the maximum frequency. It would not drop bellow the (just as eaisly configurable) minimum frequency.

Library's/Libs - a set of instructions for applications to use to function. A functioning camera lib would allow the camera to be used.

WFS - "Wildfire S" an armv6 device made by HTC in 2011.

Logcat - A logging system built into the ADB

ADB - "Android Debug Bridge" a system that can be accessed using a computer where you can manage the device from. You need the Android SDK to use it.

SDK - "Software Development Kit" a set of tools used for software development.

WIP - "Work In Progress"

JDK - "Java Development Kit" an SDK for the java platform. It is needed to run the Android SDK.

JRE - "Java Runtime Environment" a collection of binarys and files to allow java software to execute.

Execute - To "run" or "start" a binary

Binarys - (sometimes called bin's) a group of executable files.

RAM - Could be one of three meanings: 1. Memory for the CPU to process processes. 2. Random Access Memory, a place where information can be used, executed from, modified, or deleted. 3. A type of sheep.

SD - Short term for MicroSD

Marvel - A gsm version of the phone

Marvelc - The cdma version of the phone

Marvelct - A rare Easten CDMA version of the phone.

Marvel* - all versions of the HTC Wildfire S (see *)

GB - Could mean one of two things. 1. Gingerbread or 2. Great Britain

Gingerbread - Android 2.3

Froyo - Android 2.2

Honeycomb - Android 3.x. it was never released or ported to the wildfire s because it was built for tablets.

Ice cream sandwich/ICS - Android 4.0. The latest version of Android.

CM9 - Cyanogenmod 9. A modified version of ICS. (see cm)

RUU - "ROM Update Utility" An automatic installer for Radio Firmware, ROM and HBOOT

HBOOT - The bootloader for all modern HTC Android phones.

Custom recovery - A o version of the stock HTC recovery to install unoffical ROMs.

AFAIK - "As far as I know"

KANG - The process of creating a code based of someone else's code.

Zipalligned - This is something that makes a ROM faster. If you can improve this please contact me!

Deodexed - Where ODEX files are moved into the actual applications

APK - "Android Package" an Android application

This was written by benjamingwynn and brought over to the Vibrant section by Woodrube, so thanks goes out to them!

Okay, I think I'm ready to begin! Where do I start?

You have a few ways to go here..

But before we continue, let me explain something to you. Our phones have this 'flash counter' built in.
    There is a way to bypass the counter, and to reset it after you've triggered it, so don't be alarmed.

Flash counter? What's that?

The flash counter is a binary counter built in Samsung phones that is used by Samsung to basically help identify if you have been tampering with your firmware and flashing unofficial software.

Each time you flash unofficial firmware via Odin, your binary flash counter goes up by 1.

Ah, okay.. is there anyway to bypass that?

Yes and no.

How to get root without triggering the counter:
    If you want to play it safe and want to stay on Stock, but only want to root.. mrRobinson has injected root to some official Samsung ODIN files.

You can find that thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1771687

This is the SAFEST way to achieve root without tripping the counter.

How to get root easier and faster, triggering the counter:
    If you have already flashed your counter or don't care about your counter going up, mskip has developed an amazing application that will install drivers, flash a custom recovery, root your phone, etc.

Visit this thread to download and see the many features it has: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1746682

Big thanks goes out to him for making things so simple!

NOTE: You CAN reset your flash counter to 0 using an application developed by Chainfire called Triangle Away which can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1494114

What can I do now that I have root?

• You can backup your apps using Titanium Backup found in the Google Play store.
    • Use apps that require root.
    • Etc.

What can I do now that I have a custom recovery?

• Make a NANDROID backup of your current setup and restore that backup!
    • Flash ROMs, modems, kernels, themes, etc.
    • Wipe data, clear cache, etc.

Useful links and resources:

Useful Downloads:

• Odin Program:
    • ODIN v3.07: Here

Stock File:
    • STOCK 4.0.4 ODIN FILE: Here

Recoveries (ODIN):
    • CWM Touch Recovery 5.8.4.7 (ODIN File): Here
    • CWM Recovery (ODIN File): Here
    • STOCK Recovery (ODIN File): Here

Credits and Thank you's:
    - s15274n for his great guides and borrowed words!
    - Woodrube for his great guides and borrowed words!
    - Anyone else I may have missed.

Note: I will update this thread daily and keep everything current.
    These are my ways of flashing my device and they have worked perfectly, there are other ways as well and they have been posted.
    So look around if you find this confusing!
    How to ODIN back to stock after messing up trying to flash a ROM or rooting.​

1. Download this: http://samsung-updates.com/get/2144/Samsung_Firmware_SGH-T999_TMB_T999UVALH2_Android_4_0_4.html

It is the FULL stock firmware. t's roughly 720MB. It will be in a compressed format.

2. Once your download (Stock Firmware) is complete, extract the .tar.md5 file from the first link I gave you. (Use WinRAR or a similar program.)

ijxth.png

That is the file you will ODIN to your phone (Add it to the PDA part of ODIN.)

3. Put your phone into download mode. (Confirm that the count is set at 0)

4. Odin like you normally would.

When you initially add it to ODIN, it will look like it gets stuck at <OSM> Please wait..

But it's only because it's a big file, wait it out.

It should finally continue and now it should say:

<OSM> T999UVALH2_T999TMBALH2_T999UVALH2_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
    <OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
    <OSM> Leave CS..

And you should be ready to press Start.

Aegvv.png

5. Now boot into stock recovery, wipe data and cache, reboot!

How to get into recovery:
    - Hold down the 'HOME' + 'VOLUME UP' buttons and press the 'POWER' button for about 5 seconds while the phone is off to enter Recovery Mode.

Your phone should now be 100% stock. :)

Note: My phone isn't connected, but I took screenshots to help you.
    You should see the yellow COM light up and whatnot when you have your phone connected.
    How to ODIN back to stock, reset your flash counter and pretend like you've never flashed a ROM​

1. Download this: http://samsung-updates.com/get/2144/Samsung_Firmware_SGH-T999_TMB_T999UVALH2_Android_4_0_4.html

It is the FULL stock firmware. t's roughly 720MB. It will be in a compressed format.

2. While that's downloading, you can Triangle Away your phone. (Note: Do it at your own risk.)

Download Link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=22463153 (Thanks to Chainfire.)

3. Run Triangle Away on your phone, it'll give you a warning message, and yadayadayada, click Reset Counter.

4. Once your download (Stock Firmware) is complete, extract the .tar.md5 file from the first link I gave you. (Use WinRAR or a similar program.)

ijxth.png

That is the file you will ODIN to your phone (Add it to the PDA part of ODIN.)

5. Put your phone into download mode. (Confirm that the count is set at 0)

6. Odin like you normally would.

When you initially add it to ODIN, it will look like it gets stuck at <OSM> Please wait..

But it's only because it's a big file, wait it out.

It should finally continue and now it should say:

<OSM> T999UVALH2_T999TMBALH2_T999UVALH2_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
    <OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
    <OSM> Leave CS..

And you should be ready to press Start.

Aegvv.png

7. Now boot into stock recovery, wipe data and cache, reboot!

How to get into recovery:
    - Hold down the 'HOME' + 'VOLUME UP' buttons and press the 'POWER' button for about 5 seconds while the phone is off to enter Recovery Mode.

Your phone should now be 100% stock. :)

Note: My phone isn't connected, but I took screenshots to help you.
    You should see the yellow COM light up and whatnot when you have your phone connected.
    Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Qs)

Q: Has Samsung officially released a date for when JellyBean will be released for our device?
    A: The answer is no. There hasn't been any official news of when JellyBean will officially hit our devices. Be patient.

Q: My ringtone notification doesn't play completely when someone texts me, why?
    A: Not sure why, but a fix for it is to clear your messages.

Q: I flashed back to stock, but my phone hangs at the Samsung logo, what do I do?
    A: Don't forget after you ODIN, you have to boot into stock recovery, wipe data and cache, reboot!

Q: How do I get into Recovery Mode?
    A:
    1. Unplug the USB cable.
    2. Shut down the phone.
    3. Hold down the 'HOME' + 'VOLUME UP' buttons and press the 'POWER' button for about 5 seconds to enter Recovery Mode.

Q: How do I get into Download Mode?
    A:
    1. Unplug the USB cable.
    2. Shut down the phone.
    3. Hold down the 'HOME' + 'VOLUME DOWN' buttons and press the 'POWER' button for about 2 seconds until a WARNING! Screen appears. Press the 'VOLUME UP' button to enter Download Mode.
    Just run triangle away and then flash stock firmware. Just when you boot into download mode make sure the counter says 0.
    Faster downloads and instructions are also in my firmware thread. See sig.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium